IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What is really going on here? (special order extra options question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 03:22 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is really going on here? (special order extra options question)

I'm in Florida and recently special ordered an IS 350 RWD base model, due for delivery later this month. When - out of an abundance of caution - I asked the dealership for a 'build sheet' I found that the "Lexus order system" had added several options that I did not order, including 18" alloy wheels, trunk and cargo mats, wheel locks, and a bumper applique.

When I asked about the additional options my sales person said (quoting from his email): "I do apologize for any inconvenience as it's done by Lexus corporate and not by our dealership. "

Is this true, and if so why? I don't want any of these options and hope to have them removed before the car is delivered. If the dealer can't intercept the order and remove them, I may refuse the vehicle even if the options are provided at no cost. I simply don't want the "upgraded" wheels, nor the bumper applique.

I've asked the Lexus rep: Please advise what is really going on here? But have others had this same experience?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-15, 03:43 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

a lot of those options are coming from the plant that way. if you ordered one online, that particular one may not be yours. if it is yours, you're not required to pay for it, but you will have to wait until it's made. here in cali, there's a lot coming from across the pond w/ all those you mentioned and ML as well (for f sport). I was originally going to skip out on ML and nav and cargo mats, wheel locks, etc, but said "F" it. if I trade or sell it one day, it will be worth a little more w/ those options, so I went w/ it. but he's kind of right...that's how lexus are sending them in bulk. yours is on the back burner.
Old 05-04-15, 05:25 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
I'm in Florida and recently special ordered an IS 350 RWD base model, due for delivery later this month. When - out of an abundance of caution - I asked the dealership for a 'build sheet' I found that the "Lexus order system" had added several options that I did not order, including 18" alloy wheels, trunk and cargo mats, wheel locks, and a bumper applique.

When I asked about the additional options my sales person said (quoting from his email): "I do apologize for any inconvenience as it's done by Lexus corporate and not by our dealership. "

Is this true, and if so why? I don't want any of these options and hope to have them removed before the car is delivered. If the dealer can't intercept the order and remove them, I may refuse the vehicle even if the options are provided at no cost. I simply don't want the "upgraded" wheels, nor the bumper applique.

I've asked the Lexus rep: Please advise what is really going on here? But have others had this same experience?

Thanks.
When did you order? A true special order should take around 3 months or longer from my experience. I'm wondering if they found a car that's already in allocation and assigned it to you in order to get it to you faster with the dealer thinking that either they'd give you the extra options for free or that they'd try to get you to pay but not charge you if you complain. Are you paying invoice price or how much above or below?

When I special ordered my first IS I didn't want the preferred accessory package and they added it in. I remember saying something and getting a similar response. By the time it arrived though I changed my mind and was glad they included it but it's only $200-300.

Or maybe Lexus is embarrassed to actually sell an IS350 with 17" wheels.
Old 05-04-15, 05:51 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe that dealerships are SO used to just presenting the car, all shined up that people just sign whatever is in front of them most of the time. There may be a few car aficionados in the sport scene or classic scene but so many people just want a 'new car' that they don't notice these small details.

I don't think Lexus believes ANYONE would want less for the same price, so I think you'll be either stuck with these options, no matter how special your order, OR they will just tell you it can't be done.
Old 05-04-15, 06:01 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Special Order

Originally Posted by azmojo
When did you order? A true special order should take around 3 months or longer from my experience..
The order was placed a couple of months ago and the car is due to arrive the end of May. I'm confident the vehicle was ordered to my specs, but it sure appears that the distributor (or perhaps, Lexus corporate) is packing on the options after the order left the dealership. I'm trying to figure out which one of the parties - the Southeast Distributor or Lexus Corporote - is responsible.

Originally Posted by azmojo
Are you paying invoice price or how much above or below?
Deal was for invoice price with the unordered equipment being thrown in at no additional cost to me.

But the question remains, who in the so-called "special order" loop is packing on these options, and why?

Last edited by LeapFrog; 05-04-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 09:24 PM
Phunkypnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deal was for invoice price with the unordered equipment being thrown in at no additional cost to me.

But the question remains, who in the so-called "special order" loop is packing on these options, and why?
Who cares, you're getting the additional equipment for free!!
Old 05-08-15, 07:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

So here's what I know... it very likely could be SOB (some of both).

JM Lexus family/SET in Jacksonville owns the southeast US Lexus distribution, and from other threads I've read they have some specific adds they require for all vehicles that come in through their port and often put on items such as you listed. I'd guess the little frilly money makers you have listed are most likely done at the port (which isn't the same as the dealer, even if it is a JM dealership).

For folks who see these on the lot they're extra $$ on the window invoice that they can either pay for if uninformed, or negotiate down if they are. The port adds the items and requires the dealership to take them. The dealership passes that on to consumers if possible.

On a more general level.... As you may have noticed, Lexus Corp themselves are far less flexible than other luxury makers such as BMW, which allow gnats-level detail on special orders. Unless you're getting a LF-A, you don't have that specificity in picking and choosing options. I've heard the special order items get aligned with most common package that meets the criteria, so some items may come along with what you picked as part of the package.

All of the above is not based on personal experience, just what I've read here on the forums.
Old 05-09-15, 12:33 PM
joeyalex
Driver School Candidate

My special order had these items on it. Dealer said they were required and came on all of the cars.

I'm not sure how true that is, but I definitely know they were added either at the port or at the factory, as the dealer didn't have the car long enough to put all of the stuff on.

I didn't really care, it was all good stuff as far as I was concerned.

Also, just FYI that special orders can come quicker than 3-4 months. I ordered mine in early February and picked it up on March 20th. They were originally quoting 12-16 weeks, but it came way early. I'm assuming they had a car allocated and almost ready to go in to production and had them build it to my specs. Probably not a common occurrence, but it does happen.
Old 05-11-15, 03:11 AM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

As long as the additional options are at no-cost, don't worry too much... well, maybe the bumper applique.

The accessory package was thrown in to my special order (all mats, trunk cargo net, and wheel locks) for free. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up my car.
Old 05-11-15, 11:06 AM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
You live in what has been determined by Lexus(Toyota Marketing) as the South East Region. This region includes:
North Carolina
South Carolina
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
Certain package and options are designated for this region based on what will sell, this is why certain packages are available in Florida that are not in Montana etc.

A true special order from Factory will take any where from 3-6months - probably closer to 6. Yours only being a recent order is probably something already inbound they found that was "close enough" to fit your request.
If you want a true factory order be prepared to wait.