IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Doing donut on 3rd Gen IS? 250? 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 03:24 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Doing donut on 3rd Gen IS? 250? 350

Anyone try to do a donut with their IS250/350 F Sport or Non F Sport?

I try to do it on a 2014 IS350 F Sport and it seems like one of the wheel lift off and the car is unwilling to do a donut.

Stock car, no mods. 2014 IS350 F Sport.

I searched around the website and there is 2nd Gen only.

Anyone did it before?
Show us some video.
Old 05-01-15, 08:52 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No LSD, no fun.
Old 05-01-15, 09:02 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can drift, why not donuts?

Old 05-01-15, 11:07 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
No LSD, no fun.
+1 That LSD(limited slip differential, not drug lol) would definitely help. Otherwise it would be a 1 wheel drive.
Old 05-01-15, 04:02 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm more interested in EATING donuts in my car.
Old 05-01-15, 07:59 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drbazing
If you can drift, why not donuts?

Is f-sport drift - YouTube
Did you do it?
I was trying to do the same, but the IS350 F sport do NOT let me.
One of the wheel keep lifting up and burning tires.

I can do it on 2nd Gen IS though.
Old 05-02-15, 02:24 PM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming that's a rwd in that video? Can this be done with awd?
Old 05-03-15, 04:15 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3F
I'm assuming that's a rwd in that video? Can this be done with awd?
RWD……or AWD is icy road lol
Old 05-04-15, 10:32 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
Did you do it?
I was trying to do the same, but the IS350 F sport do NOT let me.
One of the wheel keep lifting up and burning tires.

I can do it on 2nd Gen IS though.
I would probably never do donuts, but I can tell you I burnt-out from a stop light trying to launch from a dig.
Old 05-04-15, 11:21 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its doable. It's easier if you pedal dance the nannies off and rig the ebrake to not stay engaged. I however did it with R888s which was not easy. I had a lot of smoke but i also literally tore the tire apart in about 8 minutes.... =/

you also have to keep the gears in check. First and second will bounce off redline for a bit but then shift eventually. so you have to keep shifting down into the right gear. depending on your speed you should be in either 2nd or 3rd. 2nd for a constant donut. and its all about a steady foot. no on and off action. practice

I'll post a video and pics soon.
Old 05-05-15, 04:26 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r0shiro
its doable. It's easier if you pedal dance the nannies off and rig the ebrake to not stay engaged. I however did it with R888s which was not easy. I had a lot of smoke but i also literally tore the tire apart in about 8 minutes.... =/

you also have to keep the gears in check. First and second will bounce off redline for a bit but then shift eventually. so you have to keep shifting down into the right gear. depending on your speed you should be in either 2nd or 3rd. 2nd for a constant donut. and its all about a steady foot. no on and off action. practice

I'll post a video and pics soon.
I can do constant donut on other Rear wheel drive and my foot is steady
I know exactly what you said, and the IS350 F Sport that I test drive has RE11 tires
One wheel keep giving a lot of smoke and it is not willing to slide at all….
I don't wanna tore the tires apart, so I give it a few try and give up.

Even though you have the DSC TRC completely off, the gear will shift by itself?
Also, does the DSC TRC kick in after 35 or 45mph?

I drift with the Toyota Chaser in a track, so drifting a car should not be a problem.
Is just the IS350 F Sport that I test drive is not willing to go side way…..
Old 05-05-15, 01:00 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
r0shiro, just curious, have you noticed a difference in how the car operates between peddle dancing the nannies off and holding down the trac off button for 10 seconds?
night and day difference. the trac/stability modes come back on after 35mph. the pedal dance basically puts it into maintenance mode which is really for diagnostics to my understanding. There are many ways to enter into a drift. the most basic (everyone should learn first) is the one initiated by the ebrake. Not as natural in our vehicles but it can be done. the 350 has enough power to also enter into a drift by simply entering into a corner too hot but only when the nannies are off. I found it extremely easy to get into a drift without the ebrake when the nannies were off.

It definitely needs an LSD...working with Cusco on this

Note* to anyone reading this.....i highly recommend using the pedal dance technique ONLY on a closed course. I was on freshly paved concrete with no other cars around me and no barriers around me. any where else is just reckless. safety is not cheap.

good luck!
Old 05-05-15, 01:15 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
night and day difference. the trac/stability modes come back on after 35mph. the pedal dance basically puts it into maintenance mode which is really for diagnostics to my understanding. There are many ways to enter into a drift. the most basic (everyone should learn first) is the one initiated by the ebrake. Not as natural in our vehicles but it can be done. the 350 has enough power to also enter into a drift by simply entering into a corner too hot but only when the nannies are off. I found it extremely easy to get into a drift without the ebrake when the nannies were off.

It definitely needs an LSD...working with Cusco on this

Note* to anyone reading this.....i highly recommend using the pedal dance technique ONLY on a closed course. I was on freshly paved concrete with no other cars around me and no barriers around me. any where else is just reckless. safety is not cheap.

good luck!
Interesting, I was able to get my TRAC fully disengaged without the pedal dance (pressed and held while in park for 10+ secs and yellow trac light showing with TRAC OFF message displayed on F-Sport gauge cluster)
It stayed off pass 35 for sure, as I was able to bounce off the rev limiter in 3rd on the highway (which is close to about 80mph if I remember).

However there's just so much mystery between the 3IS and how some people are able to fully disengage and some not, perhaps pedal dance for the ones who aren't able to disengage.

Also keep us updated on the Cusco LSD!

Last edited by LexSense; 05-05-15 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-05-15, 02:30 PM
Sito514
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
Interesting, I was able to get my TRAC fully disengaged without the pedal dance (pressed and held while in park for 10+ secs and yellow trac light showing with TRAC OFF message displayed on F-Sport gauge cluster)
It stayed off pass 35 for sure, as I was able to bounce off the rev limiter in 3rd on the highway (which is close to about 80mph if I remember).

However there's just so much mystery between the 3IS and how some people are able to fully disengage and some not, perhaps pedal dance for the ones who aren't able to disengage.

Also keep us updated on the Cusco LSD!

I was also able to get my TRAC fully disengaged without the pedal dance (pressed and held while in park for 10+ secs and yellow trac light showing with TRAC OFF message displayed on F-Sport gauge cluster)
Old 05-07-15, 10:20 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Good to know, thanks. When you do the peddle dance, does the TRAC OFF notice still constantly display in the instrument cluster? That gets annoying after a while...
So a couple of things happen. The "TRAC OFF" displays in the middle of the LCD gauge and the Stability control light stays on. Its the light with the car on top, swerving lines in the middle and the word OFF on the bottom.

The TRAC OFF trumps all so you can still access the other displays but the notification always comes back. If you think that's annoying...now my "check SRS airbag" , driver seatbelt, and a warning signal are constantly on...happens when you remove the front seats....but that's for another thread

just checked...no it toggles back between the TRAC OFF and the airbag notification...it looks like a christmas tree now...

Quick Reply: Doing donut on 3rd Gen IS? 250? 350