IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A-hole keyed my ride, what the hell is wrong with people?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 06:32 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A-hole keyed my ride, what the hell is wrong with people?!

please be advise this is in essence a small rant so i'll try to keep it short.

went to a local mall on Saturday evening with the wife from 8pm-9:30pm. parked in the Macy's garage, no cars immediately on either side of my space, but cars parked in the lane the next one down. went inside for an hour and a half came out, ran to the car cause it was cold and raining, hopped in drove home. was working on the yard Sunday morning and had to pull the car out of the garage to get to the weed wacker. walked near the right fender and was like WTF is this *****?! OMGGGGGG!!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!! i literally dropped to my knees..

i continued doing yard work and let my wife call the insurance co. and filed a police report. officer came to the house and took down notes. we also called mall security as i recall there was a camera in a corner about 10-15 yards down from the car. effing mall cops said they reviewed the tape and it was "inconclusive".. WTF does that even mean? did you see a person or not? they said they couldn't disclose that information for liability reasons. i'm hoping to call back the officer today and ask him to go review the tapes himself to see if he can find anything. the officer did warn me in advance on saturday that most ppl still use analogue cameras so the resolution could be really bad.. still i want to know that i did the most i could to catch the a-hole who did this..

went to the lexus collision and repair center, said it will be a $1300 job to fix, but i'll only have to pay my $250 deductible since i have comprehensive. two appraisers looked at the car, they said the jacka$$ who did this definitely took their time. went past the clear coat and paint in some areas, one long run from the front fender all the way to the rear door, then back up midway to the front passenger door. just lucky there were no dents. at the end of the day its just a car, and i can always make more money to repair it. however i'm on huge person on integrity and values. you don't go around effing up other people's property for laughs, or on a dare, or because you want to steal it. people worked hard for their stuff, and you have no right to take that away. like i said, it ain't about the money, i just want JUSTICE! if i am able to find this a-hole, i will prosecute them to the fullest extent even if it costs me more money than the cost of fixing the car.

my integrity, not the money, is what buys my satisfaction. some of you may think that i'm being an @ss right now for getting so wound up, but if this happened to you, you would be singing a different tune as well. in fact, more so than anything the reason why i would prosecute this person to the fullest extent is to let them learn to never do this crap on anyone's car or property. to have a sense of morals. to save them from doing it to other cars and to maybe, if they're young, allow them to own up to their mess, learn from it, and be a better individual in life and improve their self-being.
i'd like to throw in a few punches and kicks before they arrest him though.

my wife says i should look into getting a tilt sensor, proximity alarm, and front and rear dash cams. i thought it was a good idea and would be willing to drop 2gs on that setup. until i realized last night that this is a 3IS. yes although its my cherished baby, doesn't it sound ridiculous of me though to put 2k worth of security into an unmodified, stock 3IS? i bet a lambo prob doesn't even pack this much security.

anyway, thanks to everyone in the community for listening. end rant.

Old 04-28-15, 06:49 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

damn man...sorry to hear that. hope they're able to find some clues to who did that. karma is a bezee though...twice on the dummy that did that.
Old 04-28-15, 07:03 AM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst feeling ever. I had my car keyed back in college.
Old 04-28-15, 07:39 AM
Sefo
Driver School Candidate

envy....or some junky....
Old 04-28-15, 08:38 AM
stanley186
Driver School Candidate

That is terrible to see! I hope it can be take care off very quickly and looking good as new. I hope they will find the person that did it. Very sad to see you going thru that.
Old 04-28-15, 08:58 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's terrible man . You have every right to have those feelings and want to rage. On the bright side, it's only $250.
Old 04-28-15, 09:07 AM
FPerform
Driver

Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well, but damn $1,300 to repair that seems insanely high. At least all you have to do is pay the deductible.
Old 04-28-15, 09:08 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately, the morals in our society are on the decline and have been for some time. Look what's happening in Baltimore right now - our country's atrocious senior political leadership, breakdown in the family unit/incompetent parenting, and subpar education system are all producing people who have little or no regard for other people or their property.

Hopefully the repair will get your car back to new condition.
Old 04-28-15, 09:21 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to see that happen. I had the same thing happen to me at my workplace on my previous IS. They keyed my car down to the sheet metal.
Old 04-28-15, 01:05 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Sorry man, I've had it done to me and it totally sucks. I would be hesitant to invest 2k on dash cams and a tilt sensor. At least in my area, the police will do nothing for me even if there is evidence as they're view is that the car is covered by insurance. I had this issue last year in a store parking lot, the footage was on the store security tapes and they wouldn't do anything.
Old 04-28-15, 03:23 PM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See. This is why we can't have nice things..

Salvage title now, your car's value dropped by 40% within a matter of seconds.

I hope this comes back on the person that did this tenfold, can't stand haters that have to ruin other peoples' nice things. Although he probably thought you were some rich d-bag and had a hot wife he was jelly of you for having so that's probably what prompted his actions.
Old 04-28-15, 04:45 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

sorry for your loss. this could of happened to anybody. this is why im super paranoid about driving nice cars. it makes me paranoid to the point of uncomfortable whenever i go out.
makes me sometimes wish i had a beater car so i wouldn't have to worry my *** off.
Old 04-28-15, 05:15 PM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I notice I'll go park and keep a line of sight on my car when I go into the bank or something and a lot of times instantly see people doing full walk arounds on it. I know most of them probably don't have bad intentions and genuinely just checking it out to appreciate it, but still can't give the benefit of the doubt because it only takes one person to funk it all up.

I came back from being inside Costco one time and saw some suspicious dude park his car to get out and do a full walk around and then try to look under my undercarriage to "see if I have a turbo" probably so he could follow me and tell his boys he knows where to come up on a GTE turbo. Looking around at all the different people walking by as I'm walking up. But he seemed like he wanted to ****** my JDM Altezza visors off my car or something. The moment I walked up and he saw it was my car he looked kind of stunned like he got caught and just said "I saw the florida plates and was checking to see if you had a turbo", and then b lined straight back to his car and left. Didn't want to talk about the car any further than that like someone would that had a passion/appreciation for cars. I know id compliment someone on their car and ask a few questions about it not get spooked and take off the moment the owner showed up.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I swear being in Southern California people seem like they plot on your car all day long around here.
Old 04-28-15, 05:26 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I feel for you and I totally understand your anger. I always take extra care when parking my car to avoid being hit by some dumbass, but the fact that this was done on purpose is just beyond words... You're doing the right thing by putting things into perspective... it's only a car, and it can be repaired.

Side note : could this be someone you cut off, honked at, etc. on your way to the mall?
Old 04-28-15, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Terrible! Thats one of my greatest fears that will happen to me someday. Ugh, makes my skin crawl. Hopefully they will get it fixed up good as new. I actually thought $1,300 sounded cheap. They're repainting half the car, not sure how anybody could think $1,300 was too expensive.

Originally Posted by RUCKER
See. This is why we can't have nice things..

Salvage title now, your car's value dropped by 40% within a matter of seconds.
Lets not get crazy here. The car won't have a salvage title, and while there will be diminished value...it won't be 40%.

You should talk to your insurance company about a diminished value claim.

Quick Reply: A-hole keyed my ride, what the hell is wrong with people?!