IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealership damaged car during spoiler installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 09:11 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I think you're entitled to request a new trunk. No way in hell I will accept repaint, it will rust in a few years.
Agreed, that hole is way bigger than needs to be to install a spoiler and just filling it with bondo and painting is bound to lead to further issues down the road. The labor to weld the hole shut and repaint means it would be cheaper to just put a new lid in place.

OP, push for a new lid by telling them that you will escalate with Lexus corporate with those pictures.
Old 04-28-15, 12:38 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with the other posters in the thread. OP, pressure the dealership for a new trunk
Old 04-28-15, 01:10 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I think you're entitled to request a new trunk. No way in hell I will accept repaint, it will rust in a few years.
Looks like they used a Colt 45 to drill that hole. Agree with above, ask for a new trunk.
Old 04-28-15, 01:37 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem super calm about this. I wouldn't ask for a new trunk, i'd ask for a new damn car and raise hell!!
Old 04-28-15, 05:59 PM
rp2000r
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
You seem super calm about this. I wouldn't ask for a new trunk, i'd ask for a new damn car and raise hell!!

I am with this guy ^
I would demand a new deck lid off a lot car and compensation.
Or demand they buy back and give you a new car.
I would accept nothing less for your $45-50K.
Keep us updated!
Old 04-28-15, 06:58 PM
plastus
Rookie

The car is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I am planning to go over everything with a fine tooth comb and make sure there is no new damage given that it's been in various hands during this fiasco. If the spoiler installation and repaint is not 100% perfect I am not going to leave until they agree to replace the trunk with either an original as-was, or one with a pre-installed spoiler. If they fight against that compromise, I will be calling Lexus corporate.

Will post updates (may not be very exciting to others ) to this thread tomorrow...
Old 04-28-15, 07:30 PM
neoogeoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plastus
The car is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I am planning to go over everything with a fine tooth comb and make sure there is no new damage given that it's been in various hands during this fiasco. If the spoiler installation and repaint is not 100% perfect I am not going to leave until they agree to replace the trunk with either an original as-was, or one with a pre-installed spoiler. If they fight against that compromise, I will be calling Lexus corporate.

Will post updates (may not be very exciting to others ) to this thread tomorrow...

ouch that looks more than just a scratch, I would be critical with the repair make sure the paint is not a shade off, ......good luck
Old 04-29-15, 08:02 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I honestly wouldn't want a trunk that they had put a spoiler on if that is the kind of work that they do... the hole is asking for trouble down the road...
Old 04-29-15, 10:32 AM
plastus
Rookie

I saw the car today and did not accept it back. The spoiler was mounted off center and did not align with the contour of the trunk lid which created noticeable air gaps between the body. Paint was also off due to a lack of metallic flakes and yellowish tint. The worst was the underside when the trunk was open but I didn't take more pics at that point.

Old 04-29-15, 11:43 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So what did you end up doing? Are they giving you a new car?
Old 04-29-15, 11:53 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new trunklid with new spoiler. Have them do it 20 times if you must. I would also request a new technician.
Old 04-29-15, 12:14 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

damn...that's pretty frustrating! sorry to hear and see that.
Old 04-29-15, 12:22 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
new trunklid with new spoiler. Have them do it 20 times if you must. I would also request a new technician.
Dollars to donuts, they'll just swap out the lid with another car on the lot, and let another unsuspecting buyer be stuck with this one.
Old 04-29-15, 12:39 PM
plastus
Rookie

Dealership called and said the car is ready again....so it's guaranteed that they didn't repaint. Unless they swapped trunks with another car, I believe I'm going to be disappointed when I arrive there and be slightly pissed off now that they're wasting my time like this. I'll be calling Lexus corporate if this time around it's not 100% perfect.
Old 04-29-15, 01:30 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
Dealership called and said the car is ready again....so it's guaranteed that they didn't repaint. Unless they swapped trunks with another car, I believe I'm going to be disappointed when I arrive there and be slightly pissed off now that they're wasting my time like this. I'll be calling Lexus corporate if this time around it's not 100% perfect.
See how they handle the situation, and if they really are wasting your time... go ahead and get corporate on them

Quick Reply: Dealership damaged car during spoiler installation