IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealership damaged car during spoiler installation

Old 04-27-15, 10:58 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership damaged car during spoiler installation

Hello guys...curious for your thoughts on this. I dropped off my IS350 at the dealership this morning for 5k inspection, issue with navigation, and to have them install the OEM lip spoiler. Just got a call from the dealership saying that during installation, the technician's drill slipped when making one of the holes on the corner and it made a 3" gouge in the paint on the trunk lid. They said they will take it to their body shop and have it repainted. Do I trust them to take care of this or should I go down there to at least inspect the damage? Not sure what good that will do (unless they're lying about the extend of the damage). Curious what others have done when dealing with damage caused by dealership mishap.
Old 04-27-15, 11:08 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

request them to document damage with photos prior to sending it off to get it repaired.
i'm sure they'll take care of it, however, be critical of the paint upon completion
Old 04-27-15, 11:13 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful, it they register the damage in carfax, it will affect your resale ability in the future, or equity if it is a lease and you want to maximize your trade potential at maturity.
Old 04-27-15, 11:19 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
be careful, it they register the damage in carfax, it will affect your resale ability in the future, or equity if it is a lease and you want to maximize your trade potential at maturity.
I doubt it will show up in carfax since it's not even a collision damage.
Old 04-27-15, 11:21 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I doubt it will show up in carfax since it's not even a collision damage.
It all depends on what the body shop does with their repair records. A lot of them have an interface that register work orders on carfax, so it will show up a "repair or repaint" even if it is not a collision.
Old 04-27-15, 02:21 PM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they going to blend it or repaint the whole panel?

I would ask for a trunk lid replacement.
Old 04-27-15, 02:35 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v33k
Are they going to blend it or repaint the whole panel?

I would ask for a trunk lid replacement.
You aren't serious are you? A entire trunk lid for a 3" scratch that the dealership is going to cover?
Old 04-27-15, 02:56 PM
v33k
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcheng
You aren't serious are you? A entire trunk lid for a 3" scratch that the dealership is going to cover?
I wouldn't if the car has 50K, But OP's ride has only 5K.

And depends on the repair method, rust may start to form few years down the road.
Old 04-27-15, 05:18 PM
plastus
Rookie

Here are pics that I received from the dealership. That mounting hole looks chewed to hell...seems to me that they used the wrong drill bit for sure.
Old 04-27-15, 10:39 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Here are pics that I received from the dealership. That mounting hole looks chewed to hell...seems to me that they used the wrong drill bit for sure.[/QUOTE]

holy crap id be pissed. dude i installed the OEM lip spoiler myself using 3M tape. added extra tape all around because i did not want to drill holes and i probably woudve done exactly what the dealer did to you lol. heated it up with a heat gun and carefully applied it. made it through the brutally cold and horrid northeast winter and its fine. i know this doesn't help you now, but for future endeavors if you can do it yourself, save yourself the $$ and do it. chances are you'll do a much better job than the dealer anyway.
Old 04-28-15, 06:15 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be a little pissed.... the hole in the hood looks like crap... I know they are going to repaint it, but now with spoiler on the back who knows how long it will be until you get water in there. unless you live somewhere with zero precipitation... Maybe they seal it though...
I agree with Shivad87 I have a Carbon spoiler that is on with 3M tape and is doing great, and there isn't a hole in my trunk. I hope they seal that really well...
I am sorry
Old 04-28-15, 07:29 AM
plastus
Rookie

I was thinking of attaching it by 3M tape only, but thought that the bolts serve to press the spoiler down onto the body to ensure a good seal and prevent air gaps. I've installed a spoiler on my Subaru in the past and even though it was the first time I've ever drilled into body work the holes did not end up looking like that. I have no idea if they didn't drill/tap pilot holes or what, but there's no sense in getting upset. When the car is ready, if the spoiler installation and repaint is not 100% perfect I'm going to request that they replace it with a new trunk lid. I dropped off a car in pristine condition...and that's what I expect back. I think it's not out of the question that I shouldn't have to pay for this botched installation right?
Old 04-28-15, 07:37 AM
Sefo
Driver School Candidate

Can't beleive this happened in original Lexus dealership....it looks like they are all the same lames all over the world....the hole after drilling is insane
Old 04-28-15, 07:43 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 194 Posts

send the pics up the lexus chain and see what they say. if they give you the dummy face answer, they know how fast things move w/ social media now and days. I'm not saying to threaten them, but let it be known potential future customers will be aware how some of their dealers handle "lexus family."
Old 04-28-15, 08:46 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I think you're entitled to request a new trunk. No way in hell I will accept repaint, it will rust in a few years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership damaged car during spoiler installation