IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Road trip to pick up the new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 07:12 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default New Owner here, finally!

Just drove 300 miles from philly to richmond to pick up a 14 IS350 FSport RWD, obsidian with rioja red interior from an awesome private seller. it has VGRS, BSM and ML sound system as well and is in mint condition. also has Xpel ultimate clear bra on the ENTIRE car and 3m crystalline tints. was totally worth the drive to pick up this beauty, and i'm stoked! been reading these forums a long time and was deliberating between a GS and IS and so glad i was able to make a decision!

Last edited by evident; 04-27-15 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 12:19 PM
brucereddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you bought a car from out of state (Virginia) and you stay in Philly. Didn't this create issues? I am talking about 1.Tax, title & licence
2.Leasing issues - like residency requirements, higher money factor for out of state deals
3.Finance issues - if any

I am planning to do the same, just not sure what issues I might encounter. So, any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-15, 01:09 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clear bra'd the entire car? wow!
Old 04-26-15, 06:18 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by brucereddy
So, you bought a car from out of state (Virginia) and you stay in Philly. Didn't this create issues? I am talking about 1.Tax, title & licence
2.Leasing issues - like residency requirements, higher money factor for out of state deals
3.Finance issues - if any

I am planning to do the same, just not sure what issues I might encounter. So, any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Seller had title in hand.
wife and i drove down in the rx and then drove back seperately of course.

1. I had to bring my own financing of course. I had issues with my credit union because they had absolutely ridiculous requirements. I dont know how this would have worked if it was an in state private transaction with them either. they wanted the original title mailed to them BEFORE they issued me the check. who in their right mind would let me take the title and mail it away to the credit union?!

So I used my brick and mortar bank which just required a scanned copy of the title for them to issue me the loan. I will refinance with the credit union now that i have the title signed over to me. I may have to pay double registration fees, once with the loan from my B&M bank, and once again when i refinance. I'm really not sure how to approach this. I'm going to try and get a payoff amount from my initial bank and see if i can get the credit union to pay them off right away.

2. The seller just had the VA state inspection done in november. I have a feeling i will need to get the vehicle re-inspected in PA anyways and pay a shop $80 for the stickers. ugh.

3. I had to go to the VA DMV in person with the title to get a temporary transit tag for me to legally drive the vehicle from VA to PA. it was only valid for 3 days and cost me $5. it's basically a piece of paper that i tape to the back window.

on my way back i stopped in annandale, met up with a college friend and had some delicious korean BBQ. I took this opportunity to take a quick photo shoot with my new ride and his mint condition mk 4 supra

Gotta say that my wife is the best. she actually egged me on to purchase this vehicle (pretty much to shut me up because i kept talking about my car research for the last year, LOL). and today is actually her birthday (mine is 5 days away) and was a great sport the entire time. Richmond is a cool city too. spent friday night and saturday there and hit up some restaurants. but it was rained out so couldn't walk around the city but hung out at the museum.
so i guess we can consider it a joint birthday present

Originally Posted by sapd911
clear bra'd the entire car? wow!

YES. the ENTIRE CAR. it's wild. and it looks GREAT. the only part that isn't clear bra'ed is the chrome outline of the predator grill, and there's a small rock chip on there already. DOH

Oh, and the trip back was stop and go on I95 the entire way, traffic was brutal. what the hell is in between fairfax and richmond that 95 is so congested?! and every other metropolitan area was jammed too. I was in eco mode most of the time with a couple of sport + runs to pass people.

avg speed was 35mph according to trip meter. average MPG? a most impressive 27MPG, much higher than expected from what everyone has said in these forums.

Last edited by evident; 04-26-15 at 06:32 PM.