IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Brake System any good?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 01:28 AM
ramlawih
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3IS Brake System any good?!

I drive a 3IS 350 Fsport 2014 and i feel like the brakes don't match the speed of the car or the weight. i don't know how the brakes must work but i believe they should have been better. the 2IS brakes are unbelievably good so i was wondering if any of you has this problem.

To fix this, should i change the whole brake system, the pad, the caliber, or the disc??
Thanks In Advance
Old 04-19-15, 02:31 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ramlawih
I drive a 3IS 350 Fsport 2014 and i feel like the brakes don't match the speed of the car or the weight. i don't know how the brakes must work but i believe they should have been better. the 2IS brakes are unbelievably good so i was wondering if any of you has this problem.

To fix this, should i change the whole brake system, the pad, the caliber, or the disc??
Thanks In Advance
i have the same problem

im thinking to swap my rotors with Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors + Centric premium ceramic pads !!

any suggsting ?
Old 04-19-15, 05:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

get better tires

front brakes on IS are the same, the 3IS rear brake is actually bigger than 2IS
Old 04-19-15, 01:13 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I switched to project mu pads and stoptech slotted rotors, immediately I feel the difference already, also ordered a set of ss brakeline to improve the braking abit more but still waiting foe them. Recently just replace my Toyo proxus 4 all season to PSS wow I must say that tires do make a huge difference in braking performance also.
Old 04-19-15, 01:49 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks In Advance
I feel the brakes work so good that it stops on a dime. The calipers on the 350 are huge!

Last edited by Belex1; 04-22-15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-19-15, 03:47 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I the 2IS brakes are unbelievably good so i was wondering if any of you has this problem.

Its you, not the brakes. 3IS 350 has some of best braking system than most competitors Front brakes are just as big if not bigger than my sti brembos..
Old 04-19-15, 11:35 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI Slotted or cross drilled rotors will not improve braking performance on the street.
They are meant to cool down the brakes under track use.
Old 04-20-15, 02:24 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
FYI Slotted or cross drilled rotors will not improve braking performance on the street.
They are meant to cool down the brakes under track use.
THATS WHAT I WANT !! i live in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh city its really Hot AS F** OVER HERE it gets more than 105 dgree !!

what brand of slotted and drilled rotors do yall suggest me to purchase !!
Old 04-20-15, 05:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

get better tires if you want to brake better, stock tires are pretty meh. Car completely changes when you get some real tires. You will never fade the brakes under normal driving.
Old 04-20-15, 07:44 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesh704
THATS WHAT I WANT !! i live in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh city its really Hot AS F** OVER HERE it gets more than 105 dgree !!

Many different option ranging from Powerstop, Stoptech, Adams... Do you have a RWD or AWD, my guess is the RWD I currently have a set of RWD Powerstop rotors Drilled and slotted if you want them. They are for the RWD, my car is a AWD. Direct message me if you would like
Old 04-20-15, 08:05 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

105 degree is not even close to what brake temperatures run at.

Drilled rotors won't make it stop faster, just cools it a little faster. I would invest on pads or calipers from AP Racing.
Old 04-20-15, 08:17 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

I've been out of this "game" for a min now, but from what I remember, there was a time where crossed drilled rotors cracked and that's why a lot of ppl (I used to talk to) would rather have slotted rotors instead. and if someone just like the look of crossed drilled, to get the combo. the one issue w/ slotted rotors was that they ate the pads faster. I've never owned any of the sets since I don't run my car(s) (past included) fast enough for me to warrant buying either set, but I was just curious as to know if that "issue" with crossed drilled rotors still crack. I have seen some bad pics or even seen the cracked cross drilled rotors back in the day though! can't remember which brand...either brembo or baer, but those were from serious track racing. if anyone could shed some light?

and 105 isn't that over bearing if it's a dry heat...haha. it's hot, but go over that plus 90% humidity, now that's gross!
Old 04-21-15, 12:10 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even in the Middle East, street driving still won't get close to the temperature on the track cause by constant hard braking and trail braking.
You can invest on some grippy pads but remain on blank rotors.
Old 04-21-15, 01:31 AM
ramlawih
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem

im thinking to swap my rotors with Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors + Centric premium ceramic pads !!

any suggsting ?
i Live in dubai so i think we have the same issue here, at the last 20 feet you don't feel it stable when u hit the brake, i think its because of the weight, its too light(which is good and bad)

Im changing the tires soon, and i will let you know if its any better.
Old 04-21-15, 09:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

tires will change everything if you get good ones. Pads only affect fade and braking feel, it makes it more consistent. It's not going to give you reduced distances. Tires are most of the braking power of a car.

look how much the braking distances were shortened when they put better tires on it. Start at 16:00. Braking went from 125 feet to 105 feet

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-21-15 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Brake System any good?!