IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

15,000 Mile Service Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 05:20 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I skipped mine, only maintenance stuff. All of which could be done yourself (key fob battery, wipers, engine / cabin filters, gas cap replacement. Quoted me like $239 XD
Old 04-07-15, 07:24 PM
mosefus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I know I would....The engine and tranny is fairly used in other Toyota products so for regular maintenance, I was told by my Lexus dealer that the local Toyota dealer could do it. For what its worth anyway
Cool. I am sure it may be a little cheaper too. That will save me a trip to Jacksonville
Old 04-08-15, 07:05 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone in the DC, MD, VA area looking for a good reputable Lexus certified master mechanic should hit up Nelson @ LXT Automotive in Rockville, MD. He's the man and knows his stuff. Let him know you spoke with Savy on the Lexus forum and he'll help/look out for your car real well.
He charges about $80 for the mid mileage service (5k,15k,25k, etc.) and about $110-$125 for regular maintenance service including oil change (10k, 20k, 30k, etc), depending on what oil you use.
Old 04-08-15, 09:33 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to reset the Maint light via the gauge cluster but still cant figure it out, do you have to do something special? hold down a button for a few seconds or anything like that?
Old 04-08-15, 09:55 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know if it works on the 3IS or more modern cars, but when i had my 2004 RSX, i would hit the trip/reset button until i got the total mileage (not trip a, not trip b), and then hold down for 30 secs while car is on, continue to holding for 30 secs while turning car off, then continue holding while turning car back on for "x" seconds. x seconds depends on how long it may take to reset. sometimes i took me 20secs others 15 secs.
Old 04-08-15, 06:31 PM
altezzza
Rookie

I'm just dying that they charge $180 to do something we can do at home, especially the maintenance reset :P It's all for the money boys.
Old 04-08-15, 07:23 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I tried to reset the Maint light via the gauge cluster but still cant figure it out, do you have to do something special? hold down a button for a few seconds or anything like that?
I can't remember the menu navigation by memory, but it should be under maintenance and then once you click on it it will ask if you want to initialize the system, or something to that extent and all you have to do is push yes.
Old 04-09-15, 02:32 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

i still cant figure it out, guess ill go ask the guy at the dealership i bought it from.
Old 05-15-15, 07:54 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Does anyone know how to do this? I searched youtube and only found videos of 2IS. That method does not work for us
Old 05-15-15, 08:14 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
Does anyone know how to do this? I searched youtube and only found videos of 2IS. That method does not work for us
You didn't search very hard...
Old 05-15-15, 08:17 AM
Zudy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing you spend a lot on the car then cheap out on the maintenance, if you cant pay for the maintenance why did you buy the car. What you think is unnecessary my bit you in the *** later and cost a lot more.
Old 05-15-15, 08:35 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zudy
Amazing you spend a lot on the car then cheap out on the maintenance, if you cant pay for the maintenance why did you buy the car. What you think is unnecessary my bit you in the *** later and cost a lot more.
I think you're misunderstanding, cost vs value. I think we can all pay for the 15k service but there's no point paying for something that provides little or no value.
Old 05-15-15, 09:33 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
I think you're misunderstanding, cost vs value. I think we can all pay for the 15k service but there's no point paying for something that provides little or no value.
Exactly - why pay $150 for an oil change when you can get the same oil, the same filter, and the same or possibly better quality service for maybe $50-70. Oil changes are just one example. I don't fault someone for having no problem paying the Lexus dealer premium for having their vehicle serviced there but I admire the folks who find ways to accomplish the same or better quality service for less out of pocket - that's smart and good judgement in my view.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 05-19-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 12:00 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zudy
Have you seen what the 15k service includes? The correct answer is nothing. Why pay for nothing...
Old 05-15-15, 12:08 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Exactly - why pay $150 for an oil change when you can get the same oil, the same filter, and the same or possibly better quality service for maybe $50-70. Oil changes are just one example. I don't fault someone for having no problem paying the Lexus dealer premium for having their vehicle served there but I admire the folks who find ways to accomplish the same or better quality service for less out of pocket - that's smart and good judgement in my view.
true story

Quick Reply: 15,000 Mile Service Necessary?