IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Aftermarket exhaust sound on gear change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 12:27 AM
Letsstance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust sound on gear change?

So I've only put exhaust on my manual cars and I've always hated the way aftermarket exhausts make it painfully obvious when cars are automatic. But considering the 3is only comes auto I was wondering how people were liking their aftermarket exhausts when they switch gears. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-04-15, 07:39 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

We don't have a choice but to "like" the transition. I'm going to install my joe z cat back system and try the paddle shifting to see if that sounds any different. if you're "worried" about the sound in switching gears on an auto, I guess you shouldn't upgrade your exhaust.
Old 04-04-15, 09:02 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess depends on the exhaust system. Probably won't notice it much with a Fsport and maybe Joez Axle back. I used to make fun of people with automatics and exhausts. I might get a JoeZ axle back.
Old 04-04-15, 12:00 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
We don't have a choice but to "like" the transition. I'm going to install my joe z cat back system and try the paddle shifting to see if that sounds any different. if you're "worried" about the sound in switching gears on an auto, I guess you shouldn't upgrade your exhaust.
Originally Posted by Jbreezie
I guess depends on the exhaust system. Probably won't notice it much with a Fsport and maybe Joez Axle back. I used to make fun of people with automatics and exhausts. I might get a JoeZ axle back.
This is my very first automatic car ever and I am just not a fan of the sound in auto. However, the Joez Z exhaust is simply amazing. I am running the full exhaust and I have been using the paddle shifters 95% of the time since the install. It helps control the sound. That deep sound is just amazing in first and second gear. That automatic + exhaust sound can be fixed by being in S or S+ white driving in auto.
Old 04-04-15, 06:17 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Anybody got a video clip of this automatic exhaust sound you're talking about?
Old 04-04-15, 07:37 PM
Letsstance
Driver School Candidate

Just google any auto car exhaust take off and you will see. You can clearly hear when the transmission rolls in to the next gear and it just sounds awkward on autos.

However, I didn't know the s or s+ helps remedy this. I'll have to YouTube some videos of how that sounds. Thanks.
Old 04-12-15, 07:49 AM
Northevo
Driver School Candidate

You're gonna ruin your transmission driving around in manual all the time. A buddies 2is blew from doing that. Who cares man just drive it...properly. That's like the guys who say they always drive around in sport or sport+ lol
Old 04-13-15, 10:35 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Northevo
You're gonna ruin your transmission driving around in manual all the time. A buddies 2is blew from doing that. Who cares man just drive it...properly. That's like the guys who say they always drive around in sport or sport+ lol
Did he blow because he mis-shifted in an actual manual car? I think 3IS manual mode is different, obviously enough, and prevents the car from over revving.
Old 04-13-15, 11:56 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Northevo
This is nonsense! Logically, what makes you think that driving in S or S+ will ruin the car? Is "gas saving mode" going to ruin the car because it is not in "normal"?

I mean same thing applies to driving in auto vs manual mode. The car has 8 gears...that's two too many. Have you noticed now indecisive the transmission is and doesn't know what gear it wants to be in...that can't be good for the car. Me auto-manually changing the gears actually makes the car run smoother because I know what gear I want the car to be in depending on what is coming up.

I'll give you an example. When going into a turn at 25-35, the car is in 4th or 5th gear. That is too high of a gear. That moment, you are not using your engine to slow the car down but you are riding your brakes while turning. The car is not very responsive because of high momentum and the "looseness" of the drive-train. It's a high gear low speed scenario. You then step on the gas to get out of the corner and then the car shifts in a lower gear because it needs more torque.

That torque should be readily available to you and you should be shifting up instead of down. Manual allows you to be in that lower gear before the turn, it allows you to slow down the car with the drive train while allowing you to keep good throttle response and enough torque to power out of the corner.

My assumption is that you have never driven a manual car...?!

Lexus should have not put paddle shifters in the car is they did not want people to use them.
Old 04-13-15, 12:02 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

What is driving an IS350 F Sport properly? What is driving an M4 properly? What is driving a 911 Turbo properly? Z06? F12?
Old 04-13-15, 04:17 PM
Northevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by criticalgt
What is driving an IS350 F Sport properly? What is driving an M4 properly? What is driving a 911 Turbo properly? Z06? F12?
LOL YA you know how the transmission should be mapped better than a multibillion dollar company who's entire existence depends on making vehicles. Not to mention every car u just listed is much more performance oriented than ours. You know what's nonsense? Your comparison. I have a 2014 F350, should I drive that in manual mode!? My 2014 c63 507...should I always use manual mode!? NO the truck has the gear select for downgrade and upgrade towing, the c63 has it for when u are driving aggressively. It's an option to use for when you use the SPORT design of the luxury sport vehicle. I know who you are, you're the guy who thinks he has a car he doesn't have. It's a 4 door luxury car that offers a sporty side for the odd time you feel like having fun. Grow up. Oh I've also owned 3 manual cars before my ISF (which I used auto unless tracking or racing) and now my is350. Dont bother responding just go drive your race car and tear the streets up! oh and the S and S+ criticism was just because it's stupid lol my only beef with reliability is driving around in manual mode.
Old 04-13-15, 07:03 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

You got a bit sensitive there...please sit down and have some tea.

Why do you assume that just because a car is driven in manual and S+ mode, it means that you are going to tear the streets up? Why cant you normally shift the gears the same way as if the car was manual?
You think it is OK to use manual mode when racing or driving aggressively but not OK to drive like a normal human being?

The point I am trying to make is that the car behaves better when in manual mode and you selecting the gears wont hurt the car. It's as simple as you deciding what gear the car should be in rather than the car deciding for you. This billion dollar company designed the car with a transmission and paddle shifters because they felt comfortable enough for them to be used.

It doesn't sound like you are giving the IS enough credit here. Go on Lexus.com. The car inst exactly advertised as a luxury car but more of a sports sedan with a touch of luxury. For instance:

"Craving a double shot of adrenaline? The IS 350 F SPORT offers the ultimate in performance with an exclusive Adaptive Variable Suspension and available Variable Gear-Ratio Steering (RWD)"

"8-SPEED SPORT DIRECT-SHIFT TRANSMISSION
The rear-wheel drive IS 350 models inherit the same heart-revving transmission found in the ultra high-performance RC F."

"8-SPEED SPORT DIRECT-SHIFT TRANSMISSION
Building upon the quick-shifting, eight-speed Sport Direct-Shift transmission with paddle shifters that made its world debut on the IS F high-performance sedan, the rear-wheel drive IS 350 and IS 350 F SPORT are the first Lexus vehicles to vary shifting with G-forces. By detecting when the IS enters a curve, a lower gear is held throughout for optimal response when accelerating out."

"The most track-tested Lexus IS ever boasts an arsenal of ways to connect you and the road like never before."

"F SPORT PERFORMANCE
Exclusive F SPORT features take the exhilarating performance of the IS to the next level."

"F SPORT STYLING
The IS F SPORT is designed inside and out to stimulate the senses."

"TRACK-TUNED CHASSIS
The most track-tested Lexus IS ever boasts an arsenal of ways to connect you and the road like never before."
Old 04-14-15, 02:06 AM
Northevo
Driver School Candidate

Ok relax with the Lexus ad campaign. Also the tea remark made me lol.