IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Allfit lip with Paint Protection Film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 09:44 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Allfit lip with Paint Protection Film?

If you install the Allfit lip, and have PPF (i.e. Xpel) that wraps underneath the bumper, won't it affect your PPF warranty? Maybe the better question is...how does the Allfit lip "install/work" with the PPF? Did you just stick it on as if the PPF wasn't there...or did you drill holes right through the PPF?
Old 03-27-15, 10:20 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hi jack thread but somewhat related.
i got the all fit lip on already but want to get a clear bra on. Will i have to take off the lip first?
Old 03-27-15, 10:25 AM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
If you install the Allfit lip, and have PPF (i.e. Xpel) that wraps underneath the bumper, won't it affect your PPF warranty? Maybe the better question is...how does the Allfit lip "install/work" with the PPF? Did you just stick it on as if the PPF wasn't there...or did you drill holes right through the PPF?
I have the Xpel Ultimate PPF and I installed my Allfit lip without drilling. It stays in place just fine. I've even scraped it and still no problems. You just have to be sure to make the triangle cut outs in the curved part of the lip that goes around the curvy bumper areas as indicated in their install instructions. Also, make sure you have it lined up properly the first time you lay the adhesive strip down.
Old 03-27-15, 10:43 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Not to hi jack thread but somewhat related.
i got the all fit lip on already but want to get a clear bra on. Will i have to take off the lip first?
I'm assuming yes since the PPF kit may curve under the bumper to hide the edge and to protect it better. But you could probably have the installer cut it where it reaches the Allfit lip.

Originally Posted by Luisvm
I have the Xpel Ultimate PPF and I installed my Allfit lip without drilling. It stays in place just fine. I've even scraped it and still no problems. You just have to be sure to make the triangle cut outs in the curved part of the lip that goes around the curvy bumper areas as indicated in their install instructions. Also, make sure you have it lined up properly the first time you lay the adhesive strip down.
Thanks. I assume if you decided to remove it, the adhesive may pull off the PPF? I was thinking the screws were necessary just in case...
Old 03-27-15, 11:28 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you stick the all fit lip on top of the ppf, it will probably take the ppf off with it when you try to remove it, as the double sided tape produces a pretty darn strong adhesion.
Old 03-27-15, 12:00 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you decade to remove it, how easy is it to clean the residue?
Old 03-27-15, 12:49 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Thanks. I assume if you decided to remove it, the adhesive may pull off the PPF? I was thinking the screws were necessary just in case...
I actually just removed mine earlier this week. I wasn't happy with the way I lined up the lip on the passenger side, so I ordered another one to do the install again. It did start to pull on the PPF in a few limited areas, but it didn't damage my PPF. I just had to remove it more slowly and did it in such a way that I was almost rolling it off the PPF in a downward direction so that it wouldn't pull the PPF off the bumper. I didn't have any issues with the limited areas where it did lift up slightly because it was so minor. I was able to easily lay the PPF back down on the bumper smoothly.

Originally Posted by criticalgt
If you decade to remove it, how easy is it to clean the residue?
The residue is a pain in the *** to remove. If you're patient and have some rubbing alcohol on hand, it will make the process much easier. It's not horrible, but it's also not a quick 5 minute removal process.
Old 03-27-15, 02:41 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 03-28-15, 10:02 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel the same way. Maybe have to cut the V around the corner?

Originally Posted by Luisvm
I actually just removed mine earlier this week. I wasn't happy with the way I lined up the lip on the passenger side, so I ordered another one to do the install again. It did start to pull on the PPF in a few limited areas, but it didn't damage my PPF. I just had to remove it more slowly and did it in such a way that I was almost rolling it off the PPF in a downward direction so that it wouldn't pull the PPF off the bumper. I didn't have any issues with the limited areas where it did lift up slightly because it was so minor. I was able to easily lay the PPF back down on the bumper smoothly.

The residue is a pain in the *** to remove. If you're patient and have some rubbing alcohol on hand, it will make the process much easier. It's not horrible, but it's also not a quick 5 minute removal process.
Old 03-30-15, 12:07 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Originally Posted by Glock47
I feel the same way. Maybe have to cut the V around the corner?
Yeah, I think you're right. When I removed mine I noticed that the V cut I made on the driver's side was perfectly lined up with the bumper curve and it was a good size cut. The cut on my passenger side was not lined up and it was a sloppy cut. I'm going to take more time when I install the replacement.