IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infotainment Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 04:34 PM
wicktr0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Infotainment Woes

I just joined the 3IS family a few weeks ago and have thoroughly enjoyed the car, but there are some nagging WTFs.

I've seen a couple posts that have covered some of this stuff, but haven't seen anything "definitive" about any sort of resolution whatsoever.

Here are my issues:

1) Browsing "Artists" - iPod Mode connected USB v Bluetooth

When Browsing Artists over USB/iPod Mode, you get a nice letter selector that makes choosing an artist a lot faster (Sections for ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, etc...)

...however...

In Bluetooth mode you are just provided a long list when browsing artists.

Is there any way to change this??? It is really annoying.

2) The dreaded "iPod Error"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...usb-ports.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-error-2.html

I mean, seriously... it's 2015. We should have a working solution for playing audio through our smartphones over USB in our vehicles. Bluetooth is so limited. Compressed audio. No album art???

I really have to avoid having my phone plugged into one of the built-in USB ports? I can't seamlessly listen to music over USB while being connected via Bluetooth so I can take calls without having the "iPod Error" I have to use ther separate 12v port for a charger?

Has anybody even come close to finding resolutions for these items? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-26-15, 07:51 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel your pain!
Old 03-26-15, 10:13 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The entire system is **** poor. The nav is probably the worst of all though because I know most people blindly trust it and it will 99% of the time choose the worst routes possible. Pretty ****ing sad I have to use WAZE
on my phone in a 50 and 60 thousand dollar car with navigation. And yes I have tried everything switched up my preferred settings and other nav options to no avail. Oh and the navi loves the hood always taking me through Camden and North Phillly to show off my rims. Boggles my ****ing mind.
Old 03-27-15, 08:37 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

60K for a 3IS? Was it dipped in platinum?
Old 03-27-15, 09:41 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
The entire system is **** poor. The nav is probably the worst of all though because I know most people blindly trust it and it will 99% of the time choose the worst routes possible. Pretty ****ing sad I have to use WAZE
on my phone in a 50 and 60 thousand dollar car with navigation. And yes I have tried everything switched up my preferred settings and other nav options to no avail. Oh and the navi loves the hood always taking me through Camden and North Phillly to show off my rims. Boggles my ****ing mind.
Agree 1000%. Fellow Philly guy here...

I was headed to Conshy the other day. Traffic was bad so I picked the back way, up Henry Ave rather than 76. I picked the back way from my nav options. The car was clueless. I knew most of the way there, I really only needed the nav for the last couple turns.

Anyway, it was telling me 45 mins until arrival, which seemed too long. Then as I ignored the nav and made a few turns of my own, it dropped to 30 mins, which turned out to be correct.

This tells me that the original nav route was attempting to take me 15 minutes out of the way. Smart.

Then there was the time I was headed up 95 and it alerted me to traffic ahead and asked me if I wanted to take a detour. I said yes and it took me off 95, around some huge random loop and then put me back on 95 in the SAME spot I got off. Wasted 20 minutes driving around in the sticks for nothing.

The speech recognition is awful too. Worse than Siri and way worse than Google. I wanted to find the YMCA in Havertown. I was in motion, so my options were limited and I had to either pull over or use my voice. I tried the later. It kept thinking I was saying Arizona (or something) instead of Havertown. As I fought with the system, I almost rear-ended somebody because I was so distracted. If I just could have made the selections manually it would have been far less distracting.

It's arguably the worst nav system I've ever used.
Old 03-27-15, 09:52 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
60K for a 3IS? Was it dipped in platinum?
No IS = 50 GS=60 Same Junk Navi
Old 03-27-15, 09:55 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Agree 1000%. Fellow Philly guy here...

I was headed to Conshy the other day. Traffic was bad so I picked the back way, up Henry Ave rather than 76. I picked the back way from my nav options. The car was clueless. I knew most of the way there, I really only needed the nav for the last couple turns.

Anyway, it was telling me 45 mins until arrival, which seemed too long. Then as I ignored the nav and made a few turns of my own, it dropped to 30 mins, which turned out to be correct.

This tells me that the original nav route was attempting to take me 15 minutes out of the way. Smart.

Then there was the time I was headed up 95 and it alerted me to traffic ahead and asked me if I wanted to take a detour. I said yes and it took me off 95, around some huge random loop and then put me back on 95 in the SAME spot I got off. Wasted 20 minutes driving around in the sticks for nothing.

The speech recognition is awful too. Worse than Siri and way worse than Google. I wanted to find the YMCA in Havertown. I was in motion, so my options were limited and I had to either pull over or use my voice. I tried the later. It kept thinking I was saying Arizona (or something) instead of Havertown. As I fought with the system, I almost rear-ended somebody because I was so distracted. If I just could have made the selections manually it would have been far less distracting.

It's arguably the worst nav system I've ever used.
Haha this is exactly my type of experience with it. Voice recognition was trying to take you to see the London bridge in Lake HAVASU ! Japan does not care about Philly! Google maps is without a doubt the best and Google is the owner of the Waze app. I bet Audi has an exclusivity clause in their contract with Google but either way Lexus MUST do Something to better this Navi going forward.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 03-27-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 10:46 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THIS x 11ty billion!
Old 03-27-15, 10:51 AM
AZLexTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Just curious if you've tried the voice recognition training? Menu > Setup > Voice > page down and select voice training.
Old 03-27-15, 10:57 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My fault. I didn't get that. Wise *** retort from me retracted.
Old 03-27-15, 12:11 PM
wicktr0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waze in the both LA and the Bay Area is better than any navi system could ever do, which I'm fine with. I don't care about the built-in navigation that much.

I however, DO care about my music listening... And the system in the Lexus is not up to par. It seems like the fix would be as simple as software, but these car companies are so glacial at updates and fixes.