IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

installing illuminated door sills, made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 05:59 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default installing illuminated door sills, made a mistake

So I finally manage to find the perfect day today to install the illuminated door sills. It took me 3 hours to take everything apart, install the sills, then put it back together.

The one big problem? The illuminated door sill on my passenger side won't light up whenever I turn on the car. When the car is off, the sill lights up. As soon as I start the engine it goes away. This tells me I tapped the wrong wire. The instructions on sewell told me to tap the green wire, but there were 3 green wires. 1 big green wire and 2 small green ones. The instructions said to tap the big green one, but after trying for half an hour, I was not able to fit that big green wire into the t tap connector.

Now I have to try again tomorrow . At least the left one works perfectly.
Old 03-25-15, 09:02 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel your pain brotha. I did the EXACT same thing you did. tapped the wrong green wire on the passenger side lol. only problem with mine as the sill never shut off LOL. but you have to tap the BIG green wire not the smaller ones. What I did was used a pliers to really get the tap to hold onto the wire properly. used a lot of pressure and its been fine ever since.
Old 03-25-15, 09:56 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shivad87
I feel your pain brotha. I did the EXACT same thing you did. tapped the wrong green wire on the passenger side lol. only problem with mine as the sill never shut off LOL. but you have to tap the BIG green wire not the smaller ones. What I did was used a pliers to really get the tap to hold onto the wire properly. used a lot of pressure and its been fine ever since.
Thanks for the advice bro, I'll get right to it tomorrow. The big green wire is really hard to get to, I barely had enough room for the pliers to snap though. Guess I'll try again.
Old 03-26-15, 06:19 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tapped the green wire that was shown in the diagram... it was followed by an orange one or something, but it was NOT the biggest green one. I noticed another green wire almost double in size.

Anywho, they are suppose to turn on when you open the door, just like the footwell lights and turn off when you close the door... usually the door is closed when you start the car isnt it?
Old 03-26-15, 07:00 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sexis350
I tapped the green wire that was shown in the diagram... it was followed by an orange one or something, but it was NOT the biggest green one. I noticed another green wire almost double in size.

Anywho, they are suppose to turn on when you open the door, just like the footwell lights and turn off when you close the door... usually the door is closed when you start the car isnt it?
I was suppose to tap the big green wire that was previously followed by the purple, blue, yellow, and black wire, as shown on the pictures instructions. The wire was too thick to tap so i gave up on it.

yes. they do turn on when i open the door. however, when the car is on (and both doors are opened) only my left side stays illuminated. my right one shuts off.
Old 03-27-15, 07:31 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dumped the t-taps and bought some posi-taps instead.
Old 03-27-15, 07:54 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgonza1
I dumped the t-taps and bought some posi-taps instead.
May I ask where you bought them? And what size were they?
Old 03-28-15, 01:38 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a pack of 5 that came with 12-18 gauge. It was like $8 bucks on Amazon.

Try this link

Amazon.com: Posi-tap® Connectors, 12-18 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive Amazon.com: Posi-tap® Connectors, 12-18 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive
Old 03-28-15, 01:53 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgonza1
I bought a pack of 5 that came with 12-18 gauge. It was like $8 bucks on Amazon.

Try this link

Amazon.com: Posi-tap® Connectors, 12-18 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive
Thanks alot!