IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD vs. RWD in Canadian Winter

Old 03-23-15, 10:41 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AWD vs. RWD in Canadian Winter

Might be getting a 3IS to replace the 2IS250 AWD but can't decide between the RWD vs AWD

At the same price, differences are...

RWD
- F-Sport Series 3
- $52,100 MSRP
- 8 Speed Automatic

- 15-speaker ML audio
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Power Rear Window Sunshade
- Pre-Collision System
- 8-way Power Passenger Seat

AWD
- F-Sport Series 2
- $52,200 MSRP
- 6 Speed Automatic

At the end of the day, I want the 8-speed which is a better transmission and obviously will be more efficient cruising. I don't really care for the other features. But can I survive crazy Canadian winter with this car? Of course I will get snow tires doesn't matter how many wheels are spinning. I've just never owned a RWD vehicle in winter, and from my experience with my 2IS250 AWD, driving up north to Blue Mountain can be quite a mission in the midst of winter (not sure if a RWD vehicle will be able to handle those curvy, narrow, one-laned, unplowed roads).

Last edited by reyoasian; 03-23-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 10:49 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be fine with a good set of winters and a light foot. But, if you're hitting up the ski hills/etc. you'll probably want the AWD.

I drove both, and while the RWD seemed to be a bit more fun, I went with AWD for practicality/resale reasons.
Old 03-23-15, 10:53 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Might be getting a 3IS to replace the 2IS250 AWD but can't decide between the RWD vs AWD

At the same price, differences are...

RWD
- F-Sport Series 3
- $52,100 MSRP
- 8 Speed Automatic

- 15-speaker ML audio
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Power Rear Window Sunshade
- Pre-Collision System
- 8-way Power Passenger Seat

AWD
- F-Sport Series 2
- $52,200 MSRP
- 6 Speed Automatic

At the end of the day, I want the 8-speed which is a better transmission and obviously will be more efficient cruising. I don't really care for the other features. But can I survive crazy Canadian winter with this car? Of course I will get snow tires doesn't matter how many wheels are spinning. I've just never owned a RWD vehicle in winter, and from my experience with my 2IS250 AWD, driving up north to Blue Mountain can be quite a mission in the midst of winter (not sure if a RWD vehicle will be able to handle those curvy, narrow, one-laned, unplowed roads).
I have the RWD 350. NO RAGRATS!

I had a ****ty set of winter tires on this year that's near the end of its life. No problems with grip or handling. Traction control is amazing in this car. Only problem is my driving habits. I accelerate a little hard and it breaks traction but that may also be due to my balding rear winter tires. Need a new set of tires for next winter for sure!
Old 03-23-15, 02:36 PM
dashmer
Rookie

I have the AWD 350. NO REGRETS either! I own a 4WD Tundra as well and while the weight distribution is different from the IS I would use it as a comparison. The truck is perfectly fine in rear wheel drive 90% of the time, but during the other 10%, I would not want to live without it. Inclines, particularly when backing up (like my driveway) when slippery are impossible with 2WD.

If this is your only transportation, and you have places you must go during bad weather, I would seriously recommend the AWD. If you have an option to leave it at home or stay home, I would consider the RWD. Personally, I don't believe all the extra sporting goodies on the RWD model matter anywhere but on a track. My 2 cents.
Old 03-24-15, 11:52 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Haggle the crap out of them and get the AWD F3. Heard on the radio they are offering credits. Resale will be better w AWD
Old 03-24-15, 01:19 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just learned that in Sport+ mode, gears are limited to 6 on the RWD. Well that kills it....AWD it is
Old 03-25-15, 03:20 AM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

^^ That's news to me as my RWD F-Sport can go into 8th while in Sport+.

If you mean it holds the gears longer when driving through town, then yes it seems like it's limited to 6 gears. Otherwise, it will go into 8th once it reaches a certain speed.
Old 03-25-15, 07:16 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 gears in sport+? I can assure you that's not the case!
Old 03-25-15, 08:14 AM
A2BLexus
Rookie

I think what the OP meant was with F Sport + mode, the tranny holds the gear to 6? You aren't getting much "performance" from the tall gears anyways. Those are for cruising.
Old 03-25-15, 08:51 AM
Antheleon
Driver School Candidate

As stated before just let off on the gas more when driving in deep snow or else you might get stuck. RWD isn't that bad in Canada despite all the talk about it. Either a good set of winters or even a cheap set but replace more often.
Old 03-25-15, 08:00 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
You'd be fine with a good set of winters and a light foot. But, if you're hitting up the ski hills/etc. you'll probably want the AWD.

I drove both, and while the RWD seemed to be a bit more fun, I went with AWD for practicality/resale reasons.
Agreed. I drove both as well and in the past, I had 1st and 2nd generation IS in RWD.

AWD is more practical and definitely have better resale in Canadian climate.

And the most important thing is you may get stuck in situation where you have to find a towing truck to pull you out --- my past experience - both front and rear wheels were stuck an ice ditch inside a gas station. People tried to help but ended up having a towing company to pull the car out from the rear. A portable plough was useless since it was ice!
Old 03-26-15, 04:42 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,533 Likes on 1,727 Posts

I agree that RWD with good winter tires will be more than adequate in 95% of the time. I have been trying to find a RWD 350 F sport and could not locate one so I am settling and getting an AWD but if I had a choice, RWD would have been my preferred choice
Old 03-26-15, 05:20 PM
Northevo
Driver School Candidate

I went from an 11 ISF to a 15 350 awd in alberta. The rwd is fine with blizzaks but the awd with blizzaks is GREAT. I also found that 8 gears while great for highway pulls, generally was unnecessary...annoying even.
Old 03-26-15, 06:49 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Northevo
I went from an 11 ISF to a 15 350 awd in alberta. The rwd is fine with blizzaks but the awd with blizzaks is GREAT. I also found that 8 gears while great for highway pulls, generally was unnecessary...annoying even.
I find the 8 gears in 3IS RWD truly shine when you push the car and on a windy road. For highway, depending on how your driving habit, it could be annoying. For example, if you like to stay in M mode all the time, it could be a nuisance/something to get used to when downshifting as you need to shift from 8th to 6th gear to make any meaningful downshift.

On the other hand, 3IS AWD feels heavy but the AWD helps in some cornering situation.
Old 03-26-15, 08:11 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

Anyone have experience with putting other Lexus rims for winter? I have a set of 2nd Gen GS for winter, the offset is 5 off. Aside from it being tucked in a little more into the wheel well, will it be rubbing anything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWD vs. RWD in Canadian Winter