IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What do you think of the base audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 08:22 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the base audio system?

I honestly expected the base audio system to sound better but maybe I was expecting to much? I know its not a ML System but still... Ive been using bluetooth audio mostly but have noticed a very small increase in quality when plugging it in (usb).

What do you guys think?
Old 03-22-15, 02:28 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The base audio system is straight trash. Can't hear any highs or lows. Makes everything sound muddy and muffled. Also doesn't help that the car has horrible sound insulation.

The basic system on my old 335i blew the 3is system out of the water.
Old 03-22-15, 02:33 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i wouldn't say it's as terrible as the member above me, although it leaves a bit to be desired.

i have the ML system and honestly it's not that much better than the base system -- a bit disappointing. i think the ML system in my old 2IS was just a bit better than the new one in my 3IS but that might have something to do with the road noise created by the poor choice of standard tires.
Old 03-22-15, 01:36 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndrewP930
The base audio system is straight trash. Can't hear any highs or lows. Makes everything sound muddy and muffled. Also doesn't help that the car has horrible sound insulation.

The basic system on my old 335i blew the 3is system out of the water.
Agreed. The system in my old 10 year old bmw was better and it was non HK... I just wonder is Lexus uses the same speakers over from a Camry?
Old 03-22-15, 02:34 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

i heard the ML system on the GS is very nice. even people say the stock system isn't too bad either. it's a shame people don't say the same about the ML on the IS.
Old 03-22-15, 02:39 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

You think if it is a ML system it should sound great! Sad how people are saying it is only little improvement over the base...
Old 03-22-15, 03:25 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kushp14
You think if it is a ML system it should sound great! Sad how people are saying it is only little improvement over the base...

Most comments on this forum seem to agree that the ML is much superior to the Lexus base system. The discussion has centered around how "premium" the ML system is on the IS. Many have given the B&O system available in Audi the nod over the ML in the IS.

Comparing the Lexus base in our RX 300, the HK system in my e46 BMW and the ML in my 3IS, the ML provides a much more accurate, truer sound that the other two. The base system in the 1999 RX was a little better than the HK to my ear.
Old 03-22-15, 03:52 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the HK system in my 335i. I miss the punchy bass coming from the subs under the seat. They really helped you "feel" the music, even when the volume was relatively low or road/wind noise was high.

The IS350 base system is pretty average and inline with base audio systems from competitors like BMW, Audi, Acura, Infiniti, etc.
Old 03-22-15, 04:11 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

I think Acura's ELS system are quite good but I will look forward to seeing how bad the base system truly is tomorrow when I am at the dealer for finalizing the details on the deal
Old 03-22-15, 05:20 PM
plastus
Rookie

I was really disappointed in the base system until I finally realized that the 'ASL' DSP feature was responsible for the muddy sound and extreme bass boosting that resulted in any calibration being distorted. It adjusts the equalizer when driving at speed. After finally turning that feature off and setting Treble/Mids/Bass in a parked car, the system actually sounds quite decent. Would've loved to have the ML system but no dealer in NJ/NY seems to stock them. Odd, given that they carry otherwise fully loaded IS350's.
Old 03-22-15, 10:17 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I think Acura's ELS system are quite good but I will look forward to seeing how bad the base system truly is tomorrow when I am at the dealer for finalizing the details on the deal
I used to have a TSX with ELS sound. I feel the sound in the ELS is better than ML. ML audio just seems to be flat in all areas with muddy highs and weak lows. No matter how I tweak the sound settings, I can't get it to sound perfect.

Originally Posted by plastus
I was really disappointed in the base system until I finally realized that the 'ASL' DSP feature was responsible for the muddy sound and extreme bass boosting that resulted in any calibration being distorted. It adjusts the equalizer when driving at speed. After finally turning that feature off and setting Treble/Mids/Bass in a parked car, the system actually sounds quite decent. Would've loved to have the ML system but no dealer in NJ/NY seems to stock them. Odd, given that they carry otherwise fully loaded IS350's.
Never thought to try turning that off. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back..

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i wouldn't say it's as terrible as the member above me, although it leaves a bit to be desired.

i have the ML system and honestly it's not that much better than the base system -- a bit disappointing. i think the ML system in my old 2IS was just a bit better than the new one in my 3IS but that might have something to do with the road noise created by the poor choice of standard tires.
Agreed. In Canadian AWD models, the stock tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 2 which have terrible road noise. My snow tires are actually quieter.
Old 03-23-15, 12:27 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS base system is better mostly because it doesn't distort (as much) at higher volumes. The problem with the base IS system is mostly in the mid bass and midrange. The higher the mid setting the muddier the sound. Pretty disappointing. I would suggest turning your mid setting down to avoid distortion at high volumes. How far down depends on listening volume and type of music so no specific setting is perfect for all of us. Also, as others have said always turn any automatic sound leveler off (surround i keep on) this is true for pretty much any system out there.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 03-23-15 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 07:12 AM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by plastus
I am going to find this setting and turn it off as well.
Old 03-23-15, 07:21 AM
lexussful
Driver School Candidate

I'm not really picky about audio but it sounded way better than the ELS system in the TLX.
Old 03-23-15, 11:10 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

B&O spoiled me in the audi, but i don't find the lexus one bad. It is better than what was in my maxima that it replaced.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the base audio system?