IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dash Cam Recommendations

Old 03-19-15, 10:28 PM
showat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cam Recommendations

I tried the search feature but didn't find much on Dash Cams.
Do any of you use them, thoughts? How do you keep the cam or any other device towards the front charged since there only seems to be one port in the center console.

Just feel it would be nice to have one incase some **** happens. Looking for one that is discreet, loops and has motion detection incase somebody hits or touchs the car when I'm not around.
Old 03-20-15, 12:12 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

I'm also in the market for a dashcam, lots of people send big bucks for one or use some crappy one that gets the job done.. like a blackbox G1w. & as far as wiring, they are usually hardwired so no need for cig lighters.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-20-15, 06:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you hard wire them into a fuse so they are powered when the car is on. I would recommend looking at the G1WC, its similar to the G1WH but uses a capacitor instead of a battery for backup power. Should be more resistant to heat and than a battery. All 4 family cars at the house are running G1WH

if you want motion detection may want to look at blackvue, they have some module that keeps the camera powered when the car is off but will turn itself off so it doesnt drain the car battery.
Old 03-20-15, 12:53 PM
Kenstyle
Driver School Candidate

There's some information regarding dashcams in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ed-my-isf.html
Old 03-20-15, 02:01 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I have $70 one from E-prance. Search on Amazon. I've had it for more than a year so far no problem.
Old 03-20-15, 02:35 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I bought this dash cam

Amazon.com : Street Guardian SGZC12SG - Panorama G (GPS) - Deluxe Kit (32GB SD Memory Card + 4th Special Short Mount) DashCam with Updated 2015 Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Street Guardian SGZC12SG - Panorama G (GPS) - Deluxe Kit (32GB SD Memory Card + 4th Special Short Mount) DashCam with Updated 2015 Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor : Car Electronics

It is a bit pricey but it is awesome cam. Quality is top notch. It has everything that you need. You can hard wire it and it will work 24/7.
Old 03-20-15, 02:37 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally use a Blackvue dash cam with a magic box so my battery doesn't get drain too much when the car is off. Its worth the money for the extra features in my opinion.
Old 03-20-15, 02:48 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

What's the best/easiest way to route the power for one of these? That is the only issue holding me back.
Old 03-20-15, 03:34 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azmojo
What's the best/easiest way to route the power for one of these? That is the only issue holding me back.
+1 on BlackVue, I'm using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackVue-DR650GW-2CH-Exmor-Full-HD-HD-GPS-Wi-Fi-Black-64GB-Power-Magic-Pro-/321469366923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad911428b
Best way to connect the device, is through the fuse box or if you want to have a dedicated battery/generator in the car for the Dash Cam LOL.
Old 03-21-15, 09:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

hardwiring it isnt that hard, takes 30 min or less. Then you dont have to worry about changing out batteries
Old 03-21-15, 04:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
I routed 12v cable to cig lighter inside center hand rest box. It's not that hard. Take out the cup holder trims and fish the wire through there. I hid the wire behind A pillar and roof liner.
Old 03-21-15, 07:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

easier if you tap it into an ignition fuse in the fuse box near the pedals
Old 03-22-15, 10:07 AM
plastus
Rookie

I hardwired an Itronics ITB-100SPW into my rear-view mirror power source. Very easy install and perfectly centered to give a nice wide angle view of the road.

Amazon.com: ITRONICS iPass Black ITB-100SPW Smart WiFi FullHD Vehicle Driving Recorder CAR Black BOX: Car Electronics Amazon.com: ITRONICS iPass Black ITB-100SPW Smart WiFi FullHD Vehicle Driving Recorder CAR Black BOX: Car Electronics

1080p, 30fps, wifi access to files/videos, English software and firmware w/ audio prompts. You can usually find the camera on eBay with express shipping from Korea for under $200.
Old 03-22-15, 01:17 PM
plastus
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
This is a great option, wiring the camera to the rear view. Saw in another thread where people were installing radar detectors using this setup and thought this could work for camera too. Thanks for confirming.
I actually have both hardwired into the ignition power source by the mirror. A Valentine One radar detector and the dashcam. BlendMount for the radar detector w/ MirrorTap wires and then for the dashcam I cut the cigarette adapter to length, and stripped the wire ends to fit alongside the mirror tap probes. Both devices are now ignition switched and start with the car. If anyone's interested for their own reference I can take pics.
Old 03-22-15, 04:59 PM
Hite10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by plastus
I actually have both hardwired into the ignition power source by the mirror. A Valentine One radar detector and the dashcam. BlendMount for the radar detector w/ MirrorTap wires and then for the dashcam I cut the cigarette adapter to length, and stripped the wire ends to fit alongside the mirror tap probes. Both devices are now ignition switched and start with the car. If anyone's interested for their own reference I can take pics.
I'm not looking to a add a radar, but I do want to get rid off the wiring of my dash cam to cigarette lighter. The dash cam charges on a mini USB, do you know how I can hook it up to the mirror? What parts I need? Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Cam Recommendations