IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dash Cam Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 05:23 PM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hite10
I'm not looking to a add a radar, but I do want to get rid off the wiring of my dash cam to cigarette lighter. The dash cam charges on a mini USB, do you know how I can hook it up to the mirror? What parts I need? Thanks for the help.
Since the camera uses mini-USB, it runs off 5V. If you wire the USB plug directly into the mirror, you'll fry/damage your camera; the mirror power source is 12V. You'll still need to step the voltage down to 5V prior to connecting the cam. Depending on how big the converter is, maybe you can find a way to tuck it under the mirror wire/stem cover. Or you can grab power from the driver's side fuse box and go up through the A pillar. A little more time consuming and difficult, but then you can just keep the converter as-is by placing it somewhere near the steering column.
Old 03-22-15, 11:42 PM
showat
Driver School Candidate

Holly **** that was a crazy read, I read through the whole Thread. Good info on the Cameras
I will also check out the other ones posted on this thread

Originally Posted by Kenstyle
There's some information regarding dashcams in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ed-my-isf.html
Old 03-23-15, 09:18 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by showat
Holly **** that was a crazy read, I read through the whole Thread. Good info on the Cameras
I will also check out the other ones posted on this thread
Long read indeed, I realize I can rotate my rear camera to show my interior, while the front is facing the front. Just to get an idea of what my car is going through when it is being serviced, how it is being treated. I'm not going to lie, but every time I get my car back from the service, something is damaged in my car.
Boiled my effin blood, I complain but they say the same damn thing "We'll let the advisers know next time, sorry about that."

As far as the Dash Cam installation, I'm using the Power Magic Pro and followed their instructions.
3 Wires, 1 to Ignition, Radio, ground and it works like a charm.
I read in a thread somewhere, where all 3 were connected in the fuse box, including the ground, not sure if that method worked or not, but there's multiple ways to do this.

The park mode in this feature is phenomenal, I say that because when it rains the sensors turn on within a few droplets of rain and starts recording.
Talk about sensitive sensors...
Old 03-23-15, 10:10 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
hardwiring it isnt that hard, takes 30 min or less. Then you dont have to worry about changing out batteries
Are there any DIY guides with pictures for this?