IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Review Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 11:10 AM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review Questions

I am in the middle of working on a pro review of the IS350 F Sport and have been lurking here to see exactly what owners are doing, and mostly complaining about. I really like this car, but have some reservations about certain things, namely transmission.

So coming from the owners of the car what do you feel should be covered that you don't see reviewers talking about honestly. All of this feedback makes it's way back to Lexus. Being passionate about cars I like seeing improvement.

*What did Lexus do right?
*What did they screw up?
*Infotainment?
*Quirks
*Drama and Problems
*Why do you own it?
Old 03-18-15, 08:52 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drama and Problems.....Did you say PRO review?
Old 03-18-15, 09:10 PM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Drama and Problems.....Did you say PRO review?
It's a pretty honest question, what are the common problems, complaints and drama with the IS from an owners perspective. Every car has some.
Old 03-18-15, 10:21 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezoris
It's a pretty honest question, what are the common problems, complaints and drama with the IS from an owners perspective. Every car has some.
My biggest complaints are:
1. Options from luxury package not available with F-sport package: memory seats, auto wipers, and park assist. For $50k, I expect to have memory seats at least available as an option.
2. ML audio system is a little lacking in the bass
3. Lots of annoying rattles that are hard to reproduce when you go to the dealer so they can't really fix them
4. I wish the gas mileage was a bit better. I believe they've been using the same engines for over 10 years.
Old 03-19-15, 04:55 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

hm.. i think there is a thread about impressions and complaints.. you need to dig for it i think its there somewhere from the past year.

personally, these are my issues which is most common with others on the forum.
1) just because its a sports sedan doesn't mean make it an LFA or track star. we still use this as our DD, give us our desperately needed features such as auto-fold mirrors, auto wipers, memory seats. for god sakes i can find these features on a $30k car! i expect more form you Lexus! if not part of the package, just make it an option and allow us to decide if we should buy it or not.
2) the seats are extremely comfortable for the first hour or two, but wears down on the body after a while. would be nice to soften up the seats some how maybe not by material but design. speaking of designs, the lower back cushion where your butt is develops lumps and doesn't hold well after the first 5k miles! another thing is, make both sides of the lower cushion seat even and level! the right side dips a bit lower where the seat belt buckle is, and the left side thigh bolster sits a little higher and firmer--make them both even!
3) we seriously need a new engine, we're always lacking (except the LFA) in this area compared to other rival brands.. i mean seriously have you seen the new s3? its basic hp and torque is pushing close to our car, i'm so embarrassed! a good V6 with 330-350 hp and torque would be much appreciated. also, give us a better sounding exhaust, i know its lexus, but keep it quite on the luxury versions, for the F Sport, make it a sport exhaust but not the actual F Sport exhaust which we need to buy. i guess best way to explain it is give me the sound level of the G37 or 335i! and improve the damn gas mileage.. the 335i is seriously kicking Lexus' but here..
Old 03-24-15, 04:48 PM
Dezoris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azmojo
My biggest complaints are:
1. Options from luxury package not available with F-sport package: memory seats, auto wipers, and park assist. For $50k, I expect to have memory seats at least available as an option.
2. ML audio system is a little lacking in the bass
3. Lots of annoying rattles that are hard to reproduce when you go to the dealer so they can't really fix them
4. I wish the gas mileage was a bit better. I believe they've been using the same engines for over 10 years.
How many miles do you have on your car and what type of driving do you do? Is it aggressive or just daily driving?

In terms of the luxury pack with power seats why do you think they left off that option in your opinion, is it seat design issues etc?

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
hm.. i think there is a thread about impressions and complaints.. you need to dig for it i think its there somewhere from the past year.

personally, these are my issues which is most common with others on the forum.
1) just because its a sports sedan doesn't mean make it an LFA or track star. we still use this as our DD, give us our desperately needed features such as auto-fold mirrors, auto wipers, memory seats. for god sakes i can find these features on a $30k car! i expect more form you Lexus! if not part of the package, just make it an option and allow us to decide if we should buy it or not.
2) the seats are extremely comfortable for the first hour or two, but wears down on the body after a while. would be nice to soften up the seats some how maybe not by material but design. speaking of designs, the lower back cushion where your butt is develops lumps and doesn't hold well after the first 5k miles! another thing is, make both sides of the lower cushion seat even and level! the right side dips a bit lower where the seat belt buckle is, and the left side thigh bolster sits a little higher and firmer--make them both even!
3) we seriously need a new engine, we're always lacking (except the LFA) in this area compared to other rival brands.. i mean seriously have you seen the new s3? its basic hp and torque is pushing close to our car, i'm so embarrassed! a good V6 with 330-350 hp and torque would be much appreciated. also, give us a better sounding exhaust, i know its lexus, but keep it quite on the luxury versions, for the F Sport, make it a sport exhaust but not the actual F Sport exhaust which we need to buy. i guess best way to explain it is give me the sound level of the G37 or 335i! and improve the damn gas mileage.. the 335i is seriously kicking Lexus' but here..
Do you think your seating complaints are related to just your car or is it something that will effect them all?

Where do you feel the lack of power is most evident, in lower end like 0-30, 0-60 or higher speeds?
Old 03-24-15, 06:10 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

How many miles do you have on your car and what type of driving do you do? Is it aggressive or just daily driving?

In terms of the luxury pack with power seats why do you think they left off that option in your opinion, is it seat design issues etc?
?
I have passed 18k miles. I commute to work and sometimes take a road trip. I don't drive that aggressively but I drive fast and with purpose.

The lack of memory seats is certainly NOT due to any technical reasons. The seats are full power already. There is no logical reason for this other than it is a feature they can easily add for future model years to say they did something or to have more differentiation between luxury and F-sport models. For example, in 2014 you only got heated seats with the F-Sport package. For 2015 you get heated AND ventilated seats. But there is no reason for this, as European models were reported to have heated and ventilated seats in 2014.

Others have speculated about added cost as the reason, but as others have pointed out, just make it an option and let us decide if we want it. They have no qualms about sticking ~$500 illuminated door sills and spoilers on almost every 2015 IS350 F-Sport (another feature unavailable in 2014). I'll take memory seats in lieu of illuminated door sills or a rear spoiler any day.

I agree with the other guy on the comments about needing a new engine: either more efficient of more power or both. I disagree with the comments about the seat being uncomfortable - I have never thought this after making about 6 4-hour drives.
Old 03-24-15, 06:50 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

My car is still fairly new at < 5000 miles but here are my thoughts so far.
*What did Lexus do right?
Styling - inside and out, seating position and excellent supportive seats, chassis rigidity and overall build quality, nice balance between luxury and sport, low NVH including wind noise, smooth normally aspirated V6, features are cheaper than the competition.
*What did they screw up?
VGRS steering should have been standard on the f sport, Cup holder position, Nuluxe door panels and plastics are easy to scratch, soft paint is susceptible to fallout, stains and damage requiring more care than my last car, transmission while good is sometimes a little slow to react.
*Infotainment?
infotainment is good but the software is sometimes slow to react. I wish the screen was bigger and had higher resolution.
*Quirks
None that I have seen so far.
*Drama and Problems
None so far. Car is approaching 5,000 miles.
*Why do you own it?
Refinement, Luxury sport balance, Value and Reliability.
Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...#ixzz3VMBVn4Pl
Old 03-24-15, 07:20 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have lots of complaints, some that are already stated on this thread. But the most recent one I have come across is the infotainment system on the IS. It is way too laggy. Has anyone ever start the car and immediately tried to change the radio channels? It takes half a minute for the channel to switch. It doesn't make sense that my family's 2nd generation IS and 2007 RX can switch channels instantly while I have to wait. And even after the system loads up, it still takes half a second for the channel to switch after pressing the button.

I know it may seem like a small issue, but it's not what I'd expect from a company that call's itself "The Pursuit of Perfection".
What else? No power tilt and telescopic steering wheel on AWD. Again, Lexus is a luxury car company. It doesn't make sense. I love the styling of the interior and exterior. I don't mind the engine even though it's been used since 2006. I own the car because not only does it look good, it finally gives the BMW 3 series a run for it's money.
Old 03-24-15, 10:39 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport and just turned 17K miles.

Pretty consistent with some other posts. However, here are my oservations thus far:

1) For being a "luxury" vehicle I hear so much rattling inside the cabin. I get lots of rattling just above the gauge cluster and also the center console area. This drives me absolutely crazy!!!!

2) Not a huge deal but I absolutely hate the placement of the cup holders. Makes it extremely awkward to grab my drink while I'm driving.

3) Radio/Navi sotware is so slow! It shouldn't take 20-30 seconds just to gain access to the radio to change the station. It's also very laggy! My wifes Hyundai Sonata is much better! Wow, Lexus!

4) I think the engine is a little underpowered for being an "F Sport". I'm not saying throw the same motor as the IS F but something along the likes of Audi with the "S Line". I would like to see the HP in the 325-350 range. Exhaust could also sound better. My neighbor has a 2011 G37 coupe and the factory exhaust sounds great.

With all that being said, I enjoy my IS350 but do not love it. I plan to drive it for another 1 to 1 1/2 years and I'll be trading it in for a BMW F80 M3.
Old 03-25-15, 12:15 AM
glo6035
Rookie

The no driver seat memory is just silly, took me a week or two to get my seat feeling normally positioned when somebody else drove my car and changed it. Was screwing with the seat pushing it back and forth for days until I found that perfect spot again. That can really bug you, silly move by Lexus.

Why the heck is the head rest so hard? If you push your head into it or bang your head back with any amount of force, the thing feels as hard as a rock. Where's the cushion.

Had similar experience with seats, at first they're so comfy, after driving a couple hours my *** was hurtin. Only been on one long drive that long thus far though so maybe next time it won't hurt?

The f sport, at least on the 350, should've came with a 19" wheel or option for it. The 18" looks a little small and dinky sometimes.

Engine could use a little more power with a little better gas mileage, all without sacrificing reliability. There's a challenge for lexus.

It's a great car though, reliable + looks good + solid performing and that's important considering all cars have their quirks. Still give it a grade A. No driver memory, shame on you.
Old 03-25-15, 04:59 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Do you think your seating complaints are related to just your car or is it something that will effect them all?

Where do you feel the lack of power is most evident, in lower end like 0-30, 0-60 or higher speeds?
i know the first two questions are for the other person, but i'd like to chime in anyway

1) i have approx 20k miles on t he car. the first 16k miles on my car it was used mostly as a DD. WOT half a dozen times or so. hadn't had a chance to get it on any twisties with good pavement.

2) i don't think its a seating design issue, i think its a marketing and selling flaw. the technology is there and the F Sport seats by design and weight aren't much diff from the lux seats. they're trying to market it as a sports sedan--which to them apparently doesn't include conveniences like memory seat.. come on lexus, you're not building a supercar and the weight of the memory seat motor is less than a bag of potatoes!

3) my seating complaints are valid. there is an entire thread of complaints from forum members about how the lower cushion sags or is getting wrinkled. you can also see and feel the design of the side bolsters of the lower seat cushion. the left and right are designed diff and they feel diff too, from what i recall the left is more stiff, and the right is softer and ends to run down deeper on the right hip. you can easily test this by taking a tennis or golf ball and placing it on the top middle of the seat.. you'll see it roll down and then right which will show its not properly leveled. trust me when i tell you this because in the words of the great Niki Lauda "God gave me an okay mind, but a really good *** which can feel everything in a car."

4) i think the acceleration is okay at lower speeds due to the shorter power band, the quick revs is accounted by the 8 speed tranny.. you go through gears 1-3 pretty quick and power is good, though more torque would be nice. rolling between 40-60, there needs to be much more torque on the tap. i shouldn't be have to cruise in 8th gear at 60mph, and have to downshift to 5th just to get some good power and torque for passing. i'm not asking for a lot, just match the german branded engines and add 1 hp/tq more with a smiley face. but the exhaust, you need to work on the exhaust the most... nothing crazy, nothing lazy, just in the middle--reference, 335i and G37.
Old 03-25-15, 10:16 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I am now in my 40s and this is my first new car. I previously bought used cars and kept them forever. In fact, I still have two of them, one of which is a 1994 GS300. Going forward 20 years in technology from one driver's seat to another is quite an experience, while also being atypical.

The IS250 FSPORT interior is what sold me on this car over the Infiniti Q56. I would buy the car again for the same reason. I love the exterior styling. Aside from cupholder placement (and where else would you feasibly put them?), I love the cabin layout. I love, love, love the Rioja Red.

The 2.5L V6 is adequate for how I use the car. It is a daily driver and will never see a track. I like the way the car handles. It feels very balanced to me. It doesn't push. It feels like you could not get the front end to break traction if you tried. There is minimal body roll. I have a lot of fun ripping through corners in this car.

For minor quibbles, I have noticed that the infotainment system is laggy. I tried to change the radio station upon startup and, at that time, my Bluetooth device synched and I received an incoming text. The infotainment system lost its mind for a few. It would not let me change to another radio preset. I tuned manually and then tried to return to a preset and that didn't work. I turned the stereo off and then on again and the issue was resolved. I have not reported this to a dealer.

The car has locked me out, sort of, twice. The auto unlock did not unlock the driver's door. It's good there's a manual key on the fob. That worked. I have reported this and it was not reproducible.

I experienced the battery drain issue at 4,000 miles. After the dealer replaced the battery, I have not had any more problems. I am at 9,500 miles now. Enough cars have had this issue that I do think there's more to it than Lexus is admitting.

Overall, I love the car. I actually leased it and am 1 year in to my 27 month lease. I am seriously considering buying the car at the end of the lease. The residual is reasonable and my commute will likely be changing so that a lease with a mileage limit is not going to work. I would not hesitate to own this car for several more years.
Old 03-25-15, 12:10 PM
glo6035
Rookie

Lexus not putting driver memory on the f-sport

Old 03-25-15, 12:42 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, that is real. You cannot get memory seats in the FSPORT. This is a minus for sure.

Quick Reply: Review Questions