IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Noob help on offsets and wheel widths

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 01:37 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob help on offsets and wheel widths

I will try and make this as simple as possible.

I understand offsets pretty well, and know that any aftermarket wheel with a lower offset will push the wheel out however many mm the offset is less than the stock wheels.

My question is when you get a wheel wider than the stock wheels AND with a lower offset.

For example, the front f sport wheels are 8 inches wide with a 45mm offset. If you put an 8 inch wide wheel with a 30mm offset, the aftermarket wheel will be pushed out 15mm wider than stock. But what if you pust an 8.5 inch wheel with a 30 offset on the front. Is it a double whammy meaning you are 15mm lower on the offset and the wheel is pushed out an additional half inch on top of the lower offset?

Or are offsets and wheel widths mutually exclusive. I have seen someone running a 9.5 on the rear with stock tires with a 38 offset. That is a whole INCH wider than stock and 12 mm lower offset. Seems like it would push the wheel out ridiculous but in pictures it looks fine.

Thanks for the help.

At the end of the day, I am looking for aftermarket 18 inch wheels that will be compatible with factory tires and RSR half downs that aren't stanced out stupid. Looking for sweet spots to search the internet for wheel widths and offset ranges for aftermarket wheels to be compatible with factory tires and mild suspension work without looking stupid or harming the integrity of the car.

Thanks
Old 03-16-15, 03:33 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this should help you and you can play around with it. it helped me a lot
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 03-17-15, 09:04 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

www.willtheyfit.com
Old 03-17-15, 09:18 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ddvette9
I will try and make this as simple as possible.

I understand offsets pretty well, and know that any aftermarket wheel with a lower offset will push the wheel out however many mm the offset is less than the stock wheels.

My question is when you get a wheel wider than the stock wheels AND with a lower offset.

For example, the front f sport wheels are 8 inches wide with a 45mm offset. If you put an 8 inch wide wheel with a 30mm offset, the aftermarket wheel will be pushed out 15mm wider than stock. But what if you pust an 8.5 inch wheel with a 30 offset on the front. Is it a double whammy meaning you are 15mm lower on the offset and the wheel is pushed out an additional half inch on top of the lower offset?

Or are offsets and wheel widths mutually exclusive. I have seen someone running a 9.5 on the rear with stock tires with a 38 offset. That is a whole INCH wider than stock and 12 mm lower offset. Seems like it would push the wheel out ridiculous but in pictures it looks fine.

Thanks for the help.

At the end of the day, I am looking for aftermarket 18 inch wheels that will be compatible with factory tires and RSR half downs that aren't stanced out stupid. Looking for sweet spots to search the internet for wheel widths and offset ranges for aftermarket wheels to be compatible with factory tires and mild suspension work without looking stupid or harming the integrity of the car.

Thanks
You understand the basics off offsets, but to understand “fitment” ie. How much your wheel is actually pushed outward and how well it fits in your fender, you need to fully understand offset and it’s relation with wheel width.

Offset = the distance of the inside mounting hub of the wheel from the centerline of the wheel (doesn’t have to do with wheel width).
**Note: Wheel fitment DOES have to do BOTH with wheel width and offset as they relate to each other, which is what I’m going to try to help you with.

Wheel Offset:
The centerline of any wheel is Zero offset.
Negative offset means the hub is closer to the car, in relation to the centerline of the wheel.
Positive offset means the hub of the wheel is pushed out away from the car, in relation to the centerline of the wheel.

Using your example of a 8” wide +45 wheel vs 8.5” +30 wheel:
You need to understand that wheel width increases evenly on the inside AND outside of the wheel.
So you have it partially correct—a +30 wheel will poke (stick out) by 15mm more than a +45 wheel (both of the same width)
To include the increased width in the calculation, you just divide the increase in width by 2 (because wheel width increases evenly).
Therefore a 0.5” wider wheel is 0.25” wider both on the inside and outside.
Soooooo, The 8.5” +30 wheel will poke [15mm + 0.25”] more than the 8” +45 setup.

The link above: www.willtheyfit.com really helps to visualize the whole thing.