IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 04:57 AM
sc400808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision

The wife and I are slowly looking into getting a second vehicle. We haven't needed a second one, but now with jobs, school, and conflicting schedules it looks like we are going to be needing one soon. At first we were set on getting an suv, mainly because having the room just in case a little one comes along. We currently don't have any children and our only car is a Prius. So after driving everything under the sun between 30 and 50k we were set on an Audi Q5. After more talk were going to be waiting a few more years so we can both finish school, mainly her PhD so I've all but talked her out of a SUV. So now the search sort of starts over again.

I'm not a fan of BMW. Nothing against the company, they make great vehicles, just not fond of the looks. I don't want to spend the money on an A6 and can't see spending the money on an S4. So with Audi its just the A4 to consider. I sat in it, once, didn't even drive it. Didn't get the "I want this car" feeling at all. I like the new Acura ILX but its small, like really small. The TLX is ok but something is still missing. So then its down to two, Mercedes and Lexus. I''m impartial to Lexus because its a Toyota and that is reliable. The GS looks ok from the outside but I wasn't too sold on the inside. The IS just does it for me. Love the look and love the feel. I can't see spending the extra money for the 350 over the 250 because coming from driving a Prius the 250 is a huge step up in power. I love the inside of the IS and the LFA ques. I drove the CLA250 when it first came out. Loved the look, not a fan of the non needed back door because of the complete lack of rear seating room. And I despised the transmission. I know fuel economy blah blah blah, hated it. So I drove the GLA, a bit better on room but still the trans killed it for me. Back when I was at MB I didn't even look at the C because of the bump in price. So I've been talking with Lexus for some time to narrow down options, color, pricing... and most are between 42-44k for a 250 F Sport with nav. Now heres the wrench to be thrown in. I recently checked with USAA and between USAA and my employer I am looking at a huge price difference off MSRP on a C. It puts it just north of what I would pay for the Lexus. So this past weekend I ventured into MB and drove one... now I am in love.

Now with all of that back story I am at a cross road. I love the IS and I'm comfortable with the price, but now the C is near the price of the IS and in my opinion a ton more car for a little less price, I'm not sure what to do. Im leaning towards MB because for what the dealership has rough ball parked numbers it would be stupid not to pass up the deal. Has anyone made the switch from Lexus to MB and never looked back? I've had a few Lexus in the past, IS300, SC400, SC300 and loved every min of it. Ive never owned a MB.

Before I was set with the IS, but after one visit at MB I was swayed to the C. After spending a shift reading the issues with the new model I may stay with the IS and in a few years give MB another shot. I would just feel regret knowing that spending that much on a car and having issues with it right off the bat. I wanted the 14 IS but the remote start and enform app were still in development. Knowing the turbo 4 from the NX is coming to the 2016.... I'm not sure how long before I'm in a situation where I'll need to buy something.
Old 03-16-15, 05:14 AM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife & I owned an SLK - we loved it. I shopped the new C class before buying a IS 350 F, but there were none available for under $51k.

The reliability and lease price of the Lexus sold me.

I think you would be happy with a MB, and if you get the right price, why not try it?

You've obviously owned a few Lexus models in the past.
Old 03-16-15, 07:20 AM
IS3F
Driver

For me it comes down to reliability. I know the C is really nice no but I fear the costs. Maintenance, depreciation and resale value are all issues that concern me. These are only concerns if you're purchasing. You mentioned lease so if that's it and the car goes back, get something that really speaks to you. I don't see myself driving a Benz right now though- would consider a BMW or Audi but the prices are outrageous compared to the IS. The Lexus was the 'smart' choice.. Not the fastest, nicest car but one that I can peacefully own for many years without issues
Old 03-16-15, 07:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400808
The wife and I are slowly looking into getting a second vehicle. We haven't needed a second one, but now with jobs, school, and conflicting schedules it looks like we are going to be needing one soon. At first we were set on getting an suv, mainly because having the room just in case a little one comes along. We currently don't have any children and our only car is a Prius. So after driving everything under the sun between 30 and 50k we were set on an Audi Q5. After more talk were going to be waiting a few more years so we can both finish school, mainly her PhD so I've all but talked her out of a SUV. So now the search sort of starts over again. I'm not a fan of BMW. Nothing against the company, they make great vehicles, just not fond of the looks. I don't want to spend the money on an A6 and can't see spending the money on an S4. So with Audi its just the A4 to consider. I sat in it, once, didn't even drive it. Didn't get the "I want this car" feeling at all. I like the new Acura ILX but its small, like really small. The TLX is ok but something is still missing. So then its down to two, Mercedes and Lexus. I''m impartial to Lexus because its a Toyota and that is reliable. The GS looks ok from the outside but I wasn't too sold on the inside. The IS just does it for me. Love the look and love the feel. I can't see spending the extra money for the 350 over the 250 because coming from driving a Prius the 250 is a huge step up in power. I love the inside of the IS and the LFA ques. I drove the CLA250 when it first came out. Loved the look, not a fan of the non needed back door because of the complete lack of rear seating room. And I despised the transmission. I know fuel economy blah blah blah, hated it. So I drove the GLA, a bit better on room but still the trans killed it for me. Back when I was at MB I didn't even look at the C because of the bump in price. So I've been talking with Lexus for some time to narrow down options, color, pricing... and most are between 42-44k for a 250 F Sport with nav. Now heres the wrench to be thrown in. I recently checked with USAA and between USAA and my employer I am looking at a huge price difference off MSRP on a C. It puts it just north of what I would pay for the Lexus. So this past weekend I ventured into MB and drove one... now I am in love. Now with all of that back story I am at a cross road. I love the IS and I'm comfortable with the price, but now the C is near the price of the IS and in my opinion a ton more car for a little less price, I'm not sure what to do. Im leaning towards MB because for what the dealership has rough ball parked numbers it would be stupid not to pass up the deal. Has anyone made the switch from Lexus to MB and never looked back? I've had a few Lexus in the past, IS300, SC400, SC300 and loved every min of it. Ive never owned a MB. Before I was set with the IS, but after one visit at MB I was swayed to the C. After spending a shift reading the issues with the new model I may stay with the IS and in a few years give MB another shot. I would just feel regret knowing that spending that much on a car and having issues with it right off the bat. I wanted the 14 IS but the remote start and enform app were still in development. Knowing the turbo 4 from the NX is coming to the 2016.... I'm not sure how long before I'm in a situation where I'll need to buy something.
These two are barely competitors. Sure they are somewhat in the price range but if you love handling and sporty, the IS is far better than the C class. If you want luxury, the C class does it better. Frankly, I don't find my IS is super luxurious. Sure it's a little better than your average Accord but I thought its competitors did luxury a little better (ie Q50, Audi, etc). But man, can the car ride like its on nails
Old 03-16-15, 08:36 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

C class is a lot more expensive than IS. Most cars on the lot for C300 starts around 50k.
Old 03-16-15, 09:14 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also cross-shopped the C and the IS. The interior on the C is much nicer than the IS, except for the LFA-gauge in the F-Sport.
After reading nearly every review about the C and the IS, I realized that if I wanted the sporty feeling of the IS, I had to go for the C400 with the AMG group, which sky rockets the price... way too expensive. You're paying for the name.

Everytime I see a C (non AMG) in the streets I realize how bland it looks compared to the F Sport.

To summarize my opinion : C400 AMG or forget it altogether
Old 03-16-15, 09:29 AM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I also cross-shopped the C and the IS. The interior on the C is much nicer than the IS, except for the LFA-gauge in the F-Sport.
After reading nearly every review about the C and the IS, I realized that if I wanted the sporty feeling of the IS, I had to go for the C400 with the AMG group, which sky rockets the price... way too expensive. You're paying for the name.

Everytime I see a C (non AMG) in the streets I realize how bland it looks compared to the F Sport.

Ditto on the handling.
The non-AMG C class feels like a boat compared to the IS F-Sport.
Old 03-16-15, 10:04 AM
EdoApero
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aeromotive

Agreed
Old 03-16-15, 10:15 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400808
So I've been talking with Lexus for some time to narrow down options, color, pricing... and most are between 42-44k for a 250 F Sport with nav.
I got my 2015 IS 350 F-Sport w/o Nav for exactly $44,000 out the door (including TTL). Although, it may be hard to get the same in Hawaii I suppose.

I, too, shopped for a new C300 before buying my 3IS. I ended up not liking it for several reasons, and definitely didn't want to pay more for AWD which I have no need for in South Florida. I found the car's power delivery and handling unimpressive. Although, it's very sexy inside (except for the tablet screen which I find kind of cheap looking.) I was also very concerned with the potential long-term maintenance costs with a new 1st year model and having a new turbo-charged engine. But with my Lexus IS 350, I sleep easy feeling I made a better long-term investment.

But what concerns me most about the new C300 are some of the problems people are posting over at benzworld.org.
Old 03-16-15, 10:52 AM
janterry15
Rookie

Before I bought the IS my other choice at one point was also a C class.

The words of a wise person helped me decide.
"C class is the poor mans Mercedes"
Moral of the story: if you're gonna spend so much on a mercedes, a status symbol, buy a better mercedes.
Old 03-16-15, 11:07 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by janterry15

Moral of the story: if you're gonna spend so much on a mercedes, a status symbol, buy a better mercedes.
I would question how wise that person was. The C-Class is a genuine RWD platformed mercedes with interior materials that put the E-class to shame and are competitive with cars like the S-class and even unbelievably more in-line with companies like Bentley to some extent.

In europe there is the Mercedes A class, B class and CLA class that are more economical FWD platforms. The C-class is on a different RWD platform.

I agree that for me it would be c400 or go home but the interior of the new c-class is a complete benchmark now for luxury automakers. It puts my S4 to shame.

Last edited by bhvrdr; 03-16-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-16-15, 11:19 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

By that logic we drive either an extremely overpriced Toyota or a poor man's lexus.
Old 03-16-15, 11:36 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take that C63 and get called poor all day everyday
Old 03-16-15, 12:18 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

I have owned 2 C MBs and 3 Lexus. Loved all of them. The MB definitely more expensive to maintain. With that said if the dealer (we only have one here) would have had a C 350 Sport when I bought my IS 350 F Sport I would have bought the MB.
Old 03-16-15, 12:52 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Originally Posted by drbazing
I'd take that C63 and get called poor all day everyday
Lol U can't count that car!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision