IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Metallic black vinyl vs. satin black grill surround

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 12:20 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chyeea03
That looks fantastic! Do you also plan on doing the chrome on the windows as well?
Thanks! Yes, I think I am going to wrap the chrome window trim too, but I've been told it's more difficult to wrap since there is not as much room to tuck the vinyl adhesive into to cleanly hide all of the chrome.

Originally Posted by cp2
why not plastidip them?
I almost plastidipped them yesterday but decided to wait. The issue is that I want them to have a slightly different finish and I'm not sure about the matte black. I would like to have them finished in black pearl or gray/gunsmoke.
Old 04-01-15, 12:25 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
I have wrapped my roof, window trims, side mirror mount, and grill surround. I also in the same dilemma with the trunk emblems. If I plastidip them, they won't match. If I decide to wrap them, it's gonna be a *****.
Yeah, I hear you on that. I just commented about it above. I thought about removing the trunk emblems to have a paint shop spray them, but it seems like a lot of effort. I can't imagine that it would come out clean enough for me if they were wrapped in vinyl because of the small size and all the curves...

Did you have the shark fin wrapped when you did your roof, or did you order the cover from Sewell before they closed the online store?
Old 04-01-15, 01:29 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Luisvm
Yeah, I hear you on that. I just commented about it above. I thought about removing the trunk emblems to have a paint shop spray them, but it seems like a lot of effort. I can't imagine that it would come out clean enough for me if they were wrapped in vinyl because of the small size and all the curves...

Did you have the shark fin wrapped when you did your roof, or did you order the cover from Sewell before they closed the online store?
I skipped on the fin because it's hard to wrap something with curves. It doesn't look as bad with white right now, like shamu. I'm planning to buy the fin from myLparts which costs $33 for the black one. They only have it stocked for the 2015, but it should be the same part for the 2014. I tried accessing the fin but you're going to have to take off the c pillar and the headliner. I started doing it and backed out since I didn't have a manual I can follow and I was starting to bend the covers, which would look ugly.