IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport Executive vs 2015 Volvo S60 R-Design Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 08:52 PM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport Executive vs 2015 Volvo S60 R-Design Platinum

Same day I drove the 2015 S4 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s4-teknik.html) I also drove a 2015 S60 R-Design.

The Volvo S60 R-Design is a car that a lot of people (including myself) completely overlook when shopping for a daily-driven sports sedan. On paper, it's hard to see why:
  • 3.0L inline-six turbo (Lexus: 3.5L V6)
  • 325 hp @ 5,600 rpm (Lexus: 306 hp @ 6,400 rpm)
  • 354 ft-lb @ 2,100 rpm (Lexus: 277 ft lbs @ 4,800 rpm)

I'm not going to compare the exterior since that is subjective and not really a fair basis of comparison.

Price: Lexus

My Lexus, topped out, was $58,700 all-in. This is the F-Sport Executive package with all available options and some accessories (cargo liner, cargo net, all-weather floor mats, 3M). I believe that Canadian-market cars have different option packages than US-market vehicles, but I'm not completely sure.

The Volvo comes out to $62,000 all-in. Note that the Volvo is slightly better equipped than the Lexus, but nothing that is really significant.

Power: Volvo

Sitting at a stoplight in the IS, I'm not as quick to hammer the gas when it flashes green. It's not a straight-line kind of car. Sub 5,000 rpm, the Lexus feels competent but not confident. After about 5,000 rpm the 3.5L V6 really shines, the sound-tube opens up, and the car becomes a riot to drive.

The power from the IS is so predictable that you can confidently apply it mid-turn without having to worry about breaking traction. But, as fun as the engine is in the upper portion of the rev range, it's that very quality that gives the Volvo the edge in this comparison.

Mash the gas in the S60 R-Design and you're pressed into your seat. A slight bit of torque steer quickly fades once you're in second gear. Acceleration is linear: it establishes its rythm early in the rev range and throws the car forward as it reaches redline.

In the city you aren't driving around at 5,000+ rpm all the time. It's not good for your engine, the environment, or your fuel economy. Most of the time you're driving in the lower-middle range, and that's where the IS's lack of torque is really obvious. The Volvo has plenty of low end grunt (full tq at 2,100 rpm) and feels plenty quick in traffic.

Don't mistake what I'm saying: the IS350 is an excellent commuter car, with plenty of power to get around and pass. Get out where you can open it up and it's a ton of fun. But the Volvo's power is more suited to the urban life which is where you're going to spend most of your time.

Engine/Transmission: Lexus

Where the Volvo has significantly more power, the Lexus has a better drivetrain combination. The 6-speed transmission is a good match for the V6. Put the IS in sport mode and the transmission holds gears straight to the end, finally switching just a moment before redline.

The 6-speeds flappy-paddle manumatic is fun and responsive. Downshifts happen a moment after you issue the command. The delay is brief but noticeable, but I don't find it bothersome. It is a far cry above the manumatic transmissions of the 90's and early 2000's and is fun to use.

The Volvo's transmission, also a six-speed, is a little more sluggish. It's less willing to downshift, though when it does you're met with a surge of thrust thanks to that turbo. I also found that the transmission in the S60 wasn't as happy holding the gear into the high rpms.

Where the Lexus is spritely and nimble, the Volvo feels restrained. It's as if the transmission could be a touch more aggressive, but it is deliberately holding back.

Ride & Handling: Lexus

Both cars are quiet and compliant when driven at speed. The differences become apparent when the road gets twist or bumpy.

In normal mode, the Lexus's suspension is comfortable. Bumps and potholes are handled confidently. Around corners, body roll is pretty negligible, with the IS remaining fairly flat throughout. In sport mode the Lexus becomes a completely different vehicle. The ride remains fairly comfortable, you'll notice bumps, divots, and other imperfections in the road. The steering gets tighter, and the body remains almost completely flat through turns.

The IS feels nimble throughout spirited driving. It's happy to be right there with you, the engine screaming bloody murder as you haul it through winding roads and tight turns. It instills confidence and is what makes the IS such a great car to drive.

The Volvo's suspension, while not adjustable, is excellent. It is firm and confident on the road, but soft and forgiving of small bumps and potholes. Around corners there is noticeable body roll, a result of extra 240 lbs it carries (compared to the Lexus). It doesn't have that same sense of nimbleness as you get in the Lexus, though, and that's a shame because it has a real firecracker of an engine to pair it with.

Interior & Equipment: Lexus

The Volvo's interior is very quirky, but ultimately I find it unnecessarily cluttered in some areas and sparse in others. You're also stuck with two different variations of black, which isn't a problem if you like dark interiors.

The centre console has an awkwardly large bezel, with buttons that control the climate control and phone functions. There's nothing wrong with having plenty of buttons, but they've jammed them all into a smaller space than what is available. This makes it hard to see which button you are looking for. It doesn't look compact so much as it looks condensed.

By comparison, the Lexus's interior is sublime. I love it. Roja red is a great colour, and the carbon fibre/silver accents brighten the interior up nicely. The headliner material is also excellent and feels very high-end. The centre console is simple, with the focus being on the infotainment system to manage most functions.

The dash feels art deco, with the integrated clock and recessed infotainment screen. The large, flat surfaces and sweeping accents are really my style. The leather above the instrument cluster is a nice touch. Combine all that with piano black and Nuluxe leather and you get a very comfortable and attractive space.

Where the Volvo feels conservative and restrained, the Lexus feels youthful but also sophisticated.

The infotainment system in the Volvo is quite good, with easy verbal and interactive access to just about everywhere you'd want to go. The screen responds quickly and there is very little lag as you navigate between functions. Navigation is fast and feature-rich. Sound quality from the premium stereo is pretty good, too.

The Lexus's system is quite frustrating at times. The puck, as I call it, isn't bad when you are stopped. But, at speed, it can be distracting. This means that you are reverting to voice controls which are, at best, annoying. You have to use the puck to cancel out of voice recognition, as saying "cancel" or hitting the VR button both do not cancel it.

Sound quality from the Mark Levinson stereo is pretty good, but it lacks somewhat in low-end reproduction. The 8" subwoofer simply isn't set up to do the job properly. Navigation is good, and ironically, is where the VR software does its job the best.

Between the two, the Lexus wins. Hands down.

Overall: Lexus

I really like the subtle and restrained exterior of the S60 R-Design. It's just aggressive enough to look the part, but restrained enough so as to not draw unnecessary attention. For that reason alone i wanted to like it more than the Lexus.

But, in most areas, the Lexus is the superior vehicle. Despite having an awkward front-end, the IS350 F-Sport is a much more driver-oriented car. It's cabin feels smaller, the car itself feels lighter, and it never seems like it's going to lose its composure.

It's also quiet inside, has plenty of options and features, and looks like it is a blend of 1930's Manhatten and the cockpit of a luxury space ship. In my opinion, it is the best interior in its class.

Volvo remains on my radar, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next iteration of their sports sedan looks like. The S60 R-Design is pretty good, and I'm hoping the next will be even better.

Last edited by a790; 03-09-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 09:53 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was very close to an S60 R-Design. The power/torque alone was far more than the IS and felt a lot more than 19hp (could be an altitude thing as well).

Driving wise, the rest of the Lexus is more composed/balanced. The Volvo also offers more options than the F-Sport AWD models do.
Old 03-10-15, 01:25 PM
Rockstr512
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy, I purchased the 2015.5 Volvo S60 for my wife, she chose that over the NX. Why I have no idea. So some quick details about it: when at a stop the engine shuts off, it's faster then the IS, has a thing when switching lanes it'll prompt you to stay in your lane if you don't signal, if you're too close a red dot will appear on the windshield. Oil changes are every 10k, regular gas not premium. Too me I think the drivers side is too small in the Volvo. I think Lexus Enform is a lot better then Volvos. The acceleration on her Volvo is badass but I prefer my 250 over the S60.