IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Rotation of F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 07:15 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Just to clarify - you intend to rotate directional tires without dismount/remount and tpms reset?
i wasn't speaking specifically to directional tires. i was referring had the owner had asymmetric/symmetric tires, only then could he rotate them. you only need a TPMS reset if you unmount/remount the tires. also for clarification, with directional tires, you typically cannot dismount/remount except if patching a flat or replacing a tire--you can't swap sides with the tires or rotate them--hence they're directional because of 1) the tread design, and 2) the tire design (one side of the tire is specific to the inside, one is specific to the outside). there will be a stamp with an arrow to show which way it faces foward, and it will also say inside/outside or something to that effect

Originally Posted by mello03
What tire that come on these cars OEM are directional? The ER 33 are not on my RWD F-sport.
i think this varies by the region where you purchase your car. i've heard some people having bridgestones while others are running with michelins. one of those might be directional or not. when i went to get my complimentary oil change, the service tech said they couldn't rotate my RWD F Sport because they were directional.

Last edited by AdvanSLF; 03-10-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-10-15, 08:54 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i wasn't speaking specifically to directional tires. i was referring had the owner had asymmetric/symmetric tires, only then could he rotate them. you only need a TPMS reset if you unmount/remount the tires. also for clarification, with directional tires, you typically cannot dismount/remount except if patching a flat or replacing a tire--you can't swap sides with the tires or rotate them--hence they're directional because of 1) the tread design, and 2) the tire design (one side of the tire is specific to the inside, one is specific to the outside). there will be a stamp with an arrow to show which way it faces foward, and it will also say inside/outside or something to that effect

i think this varies by the region where you purchase your car. i've heard some people having bridgestones while others are running with michelins. one of those might be directional or not. when i went to get my complimentary oil change, the service tech said they couldn't rotate my RWD F Sport because they were directional.
From what I understand, you CAN rotate directional from one side to the other if dismounted/remounted, rebalanced, tpms reset or rebuild and reinstalled facing the correct direction.

Our previous ISs both came with directional tires so I wasn't aware that some RWD ISs now come both ways - I'm gonna check when the wife gets home from work to verify what we've got - I do know this - we do not care for the bridgestones at all.
Old 03-10-15, 09:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

From what I understand, you CAN rotate directional from one side to the other if dismounted/remounted, rebalanced, tpms reset or rebuild and reinstalled facing the correct direction. Our previous ISs both came with directional tires so I wasn't aware that some RWD ISs now come both ways - I'm gonna check when the wife gets home from work to verify what we've got - I do know this - we do not care for the bridgestones at all.
That kinda ruins the tire. It's better to just leave it.
Old 03-10-15, 10:06 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
That kinda ruins the tire. It's better to just leave it.
How's it gonna ruin the tire if they are properly dismounted/ remounted and reinstalled properly - if anything, it will improve wear just like any rotation. You understand I'm not saying put it right back on the same wheel, right? You DO have take the tire currently on the right and remount on the wheel currently on the left - and vice versa - making sure arrow to the front. This is what a number of tire sites, including Tire Rack, state is the correct way to do directional, staggered on RWD. Most folks don't bother because of having to dismount, remount, balance, rebuild tpms, etc. Can be costly.
Old 03-10-15, 11:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

How's it gonna ruin the tire if they are properly dismounted/ remounted and reinstalled properly - if anything, it will improve wear just like any rotation. You understand I'm not saying put it right back on the same wheel, right? You DO have take the tire currently on the right and remount on the wheel currently on the left - and vice versa - making sure arrow to the front. This is what a number of tire sites, including Tire Rack, state is the correct way to do directional, staggered on RWD. Most folks don't bother because of having to dismount, remount, balance, rebuild tpms, etc. Can be costly.
I was told that it's not worth the effort and the risk of damaging the tire when you dismount it. Both Discount tires and my dealership told me this for unidirectional summer tires. You'll have to replace every ~15k almost no matter what.
Old 03-10-15, 11:55 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

From what I understand, you CAN rotate directional from one side to the other if dismounted/remounted, rebalanced, tpms reset or rebuild and reinstalled facing the correct direction.
Refer to this info from tirerack, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=43:
Today's performance tire and wheel trends have provided the need for two additional tire rotation patterns.
The "Front-to-Rear" (Figure D) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with the same size directional wheels and/or directional tires.
A "Side-to-Side" (Figure E) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with different sized non-directional tires and wheels on the front axle compared to the rear axle.

i understand what you're trying to say, for example with a rear right tire, you can dismount, and remount on the rear left rim. the tire would still be directional. in theory this would work but by application, most directional tires have a stamp inner (i) and outer (o) on the tire. so for example this rear right tire: (i) ||||||||| (o), if you dismount and mount to the rear left rim, the tire still looks like (i) ||||||||| (o), but the problem now is that your outside is in and inside is out. regardless of how you theorize it to be okay to do this, its probably not a good idea and would be a safety hazard for you and the ppl on the road. i don't think they manufactures would put an arrow direction or inner or outer words on the tire, if it were for a purpose.
Old 03-10-15, 11:58 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I was told that it's not worth the effort and the risk of damaging the tire when you dismount it. Both Discount tires and my dealership told me this for unidirectional summer tires. You'll have to replace every ~15k almost no matter what.
correct, when you mount and dismount, there is always the possibility of the tire not binding properly to the rim, and as a result, air would escape. they can use some sort of glue to try and hold it, but i read in a forum where a person unmounted their tire and after remounting,, they kept losing air.. had to go back four times and still the same occurrence.
Old 03-10-15, 01:17 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Refer to this info from tirerack, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=43:
Today's performance tire and wheel trends have provided the need for two additional tire rotation patterns.
The "Front-to-Rear" (Figure D) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with the same size directional wheels and/or directional tires.
A "Side-to-Side" (Figure E) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with different sized non-directional tires and wheels on the front axle compared to the rear axle.

i understand what you're trying to say, for example with a rear right tire, you can dismount, and remount on the rear left rim. the tire would still be directional. in theory this would work but by application, most directional tires have a stamp inner (i) and outer (o) on the tire. so for example this rear right tire: (i) ||||||||| (o), if you dismount and mount to the rear left rim, the tire still looks like (i) ||||||||| (o), but the problem now is that your outside is in and inside is out. regardless of how you theorize it to be okay to do this, its probably not a good idea and would be a safety hazard for you and the ppl on the road. i don't think they manufactures would put an arrow direction or inner or outer words on the tire, if it were for a purpose.
I understand what you guys are saying - you make some good points - but your theory of inside is out and outside is in - that's the whole reason for rotation of tires in general - you revolve the location of the tire to even out the wear pattern - understandably, the directional tires on a staggered setup only get to two locations so the rotation is not as effective. Anyway, you guys have me convinced - even if I do have the directional, I'll skip the rotation and hope we get 16-18k out of them.

*Per the Tire Rack citation, if you read down further regarding 4 tire rotation, it states this:

"Vehicles that use different sized directional wheels and tires, and/or wheels with different front and rear offsets with directional tires will require dismounting, mounting and re-balancing to rotate tires."

As for damaging tires on dismounting/mounting - it doesn't say much for a shop that can't safely do this. In my younger days, I managed a Goodyear store and we did it all the time changing out customers' summer and winter tires - it requires using the correct equipment properly. Now, not damaging really nice wheels is a completely different story.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-10-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 04:21 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My RWD Fsport front tires are 225/40R18 and rear are 255/35R18 and not directional tires. What is the proper way to do the tire rotation? Any suggestion would help.
Old 03-12-15, 05:46 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leo877
My RWD Fsport front tires are 225/40R18 and rear are 255/35R18 and not directional tires. What is the proper way to do the tire rotation? Any suggestion would help.
because its a staggered setup, the tires/wheels can only be rotated side to side, if they are non-directional tires.
Old 03-12-15, 05:49 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by leo877
Per the info in the above Tire Rack link, it appears side to side rotation is ok. I verified we have the Bridgestone ER33s which I guess are ok for the side to side.

Oops - sorry Savy - was doing my response the same time as you.
Old 03-13-15, 02:07 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think we're getting a little off topic here.
Let's assume that I have non-directional tires.
and unmounting/remounting to rotate is really impractical...

I only ask this question because the F-Sport cluster has a mode where you see the PSI in all the tires.
My guess is that the signals from the TPMS are programed for each corner.
If you swap them, the computer will still probably read it as the sensor is still on the side that was programmed in there.
Old 03-13-15, 03:09 PM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The sensors will read the pressure in whichever tire is on that side. If you rotate side to side you'll be fine.
Old 03-13-15, 03:54 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

The sensors will read the pressure in whichever tire is on that side. If you rotate side to side you'll be fine.
+1

And thanks mello - it was your previous post that prompted me to take a closer look at our tires and I found out we've got the ER33s like yours - not michelins mind you but they seem to be doing ok.
Old 03-13-15, 06:55 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Oops - sorry Savy - was doing my response the same time as you.
Lol it's all good, buddy.

Originally Posted by dnasians
I think we're getting a little off topic here.
Let's assume that I have non-directional tires.
and unmounting/remounting to rotate is really impractical...

I only ask this question because the F-Sport cluster has a mode where you see the PSI in all the tires.
My guess is that the signals from the TPMS are programed for each corner.
If you swap them, the computer will still probably read it as the sensor is still on the side that was programmed in there.
yes, it would be impractical, but we had two conversations here: 1) what to do if you have asym/sym tires on staggered wheels, and 2) what to do if you have directional on staggered wheels. to your point though if you have non-directional tires (asym/sym) then you would only need to rotate side to side without unmounting/remounting.

regarding the TPMS system it self, each sensor is unique and programmed with its own serial number into the ECU. if you were to swap your non-directional right rear wheel (ex: #123456) to the left rear location, the ECU would just detect where that sensor is, #123456, and put that wheel/serial number/psi info on to your TFT monitor in the proper location (rear left on monitor).

Last edited by AdvanSLF; 03-13-15 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation of F-Sport