IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Vinyl chrome window trim glossy black

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 11:46 AM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl chrome window trim glossy black

Does anyone have close up pictures of their window trim vinyled glossy black?

I had it done yesterday and it looked Good when I picked up the car, but then this morning I looked at it in the sun and there are various areas that have the chrome slightly still visible.

I want to know if it is just my OCD ability of finding imperfections or if I should go back to the shop and ask for the job to be redone.

The job is decent and from 3 feet away it looks great, but when you go close up I feel it'll bug me knowing that the job could've been done better.

Will post pictures later tonight. Any feedback, help, pictures would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for be help.
Old 03-08-15, 12:29 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got pictures of the imperfections? I would definitely talk to the shop about it if the thing I paid money for was not up to my satisfaction (unless you went with a cheap shop)
Old 03-08-15, 02:34 PM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

Here is the first picture
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl chrome window trim glossy black-image.jpg  
Old 03-08-15, 02:35 PM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

My phone only lets me upload one at a time
Old 03-08-15, 02:38 PM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

Here is another
Old 03-08-15, 02:39 PM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

One of the front
Old 03-10-15, 06:20 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that would bother me as well. Have you tried talking to the shop to see if they can do anything about it? I haven't blacked out my chrome trim just yet (still contemplating it) so I can't comment on whether that's normal. Maybe someone else can chime in..
Old 03-10-15, 06:46 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

It looks like they applied the vinyl with the chrome pieces still on the car. The only proper way to do it, is to remove the pieces and wrap the vinyl around the edges...that's the only way that you won't see any chrome around the edges.
Old 03-10-15, 06:56 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
It looks like they applied the vinyl with the chrome pieces still on the car. The only proper way to do it, is to remove the pieces and wrap the vinyl around the edges...that's the only way that you won't see any chrome around the edges.
Maybe for the windows (not even sure if that's possible) but not at all for the grille if you take it to a shop that does nothing but vinyl car wraps they can wrap the grille seamlessly without removing it. My personal experience with it was my tint shop tried to install it and they could not but the wrap shop laughed at me when I asked about the hard edges and if I had to remove it.

Ps Not a hint of chrome shows on my Grille.
Old 03-10-15, 11:15 PM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I called the place and they are going to redo it this Saturday. Hopefully this time around the job is better. I'll update this post after the job is done
Old 03-11-15, 04:38 AM
rex2lex
Rookie

Instead of vinyl for blacking out chrome I've always used Plasti-Dip. If you're not familiar... it's a spray on rubber/plastic material. It is not glossy however, more of a flat black finish. But it is more durable than vinyl, doesn't fade, doesn't crack, doesn't weather at all. 5 years later looks the same as the day you sprayed it on. If you ever need to remove it you just peel it off. You can either remove the chrome and spray it or tape it off and spray it on the car. And the best part is it'll cost you about $10. Not sure how much your vinyl chrome wrap cost you, but if your into DIY this is a good way to go.
Old 03-11-15, 10:28 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plasti Dip isn't even close to as durable as vinyl wrap, I've done both. Plasti Dip is for Honda civics don't use this crap on a 50 thousand dollar car.
Old 03-11-15, 10:34 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would take it back, to me it looks like the wrap pulled it self back to the original size.
Sometime this happens when the wrap was stretched to mold the shape.
When the heat say the sun hits it. It will contract it self back..

Good luck..!

+1 on the Plasti-Dip..
Old 03-11-15, 12:00 PM
rex2lex
Rookie

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Plasti Dip isn't even close to as durable as vinyl wrap, I've done both. Plasti Dip is for Honda civics don't use this crap on a 50 thousand dollar car.
I've done both as well. My buddy actually owns a vinyl graphics shop. He does graphics and wraps on all kinds of cars, for businesses and for everyday people. Even with the high end vinyl it eventually chips and scratches. Even when you think the vinyl still looks perfect, if you look close you'll see tiny swirls and scratches made from just about anything that touches it, but especially from car washes. The Plasti-dip holds up and doesn't chip or scratch if it's spayed on right (with a spray gun). Myself, I wouldn't put vinyl "stickers" (which is what vinyl basically is) on a 50 thousand dollar car. But to each his own. If the plasti-dip doesn't seem like a way anyone would like to go then I'd do it right and get the chrome pieces painted correctly by a professional paint shop.
Old 03-16-15, 10:37 AM
jtszwed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses. the reason why i went with vinyl is because it is a lease. otherwise i would've done it right and got the pieces painted like i did on my previous 330i zhp.

Its unfortunate that even after their second try they still didnt do a good job and now i can see cuts in the clear coat where they applied their exacto knife. Im going to talk to the owner and see about a refund. I dont understand why a shop tells a customer they can do something if they clearly cannot. I have experience with vinyl and helped one of my buddies wrap his window trim, but we are both perfectionist and it took us the whole day but the job turned or great.

I figured paying a shop to do it was more ideal this time around since we have both been extremely busy with work projects and didnt have the time to spend a whole day trying to wrap the window trim. Oh well, lesson learned, sometimes its better to do it the right way yourself rather than paying a shop that thinks they know what they are doing.

Now i have to spend a whole day buffing out all of their damn clear coat knife cuts. im beyond pissed.

Quick Reply: Vinyl chrome window trim glossy black