IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 08:31 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zman1
It does not say synthetic in the manual. 10k miles is a lot of miles on non-synthetic oil. I think I may change mine at 200 miles on the first oil change as that has to have the most debris due to break-in.
Lexus specs 0w20 in these vehicles. As far as I know, there are no conventional 0w20s - most are full synthetic, and there are a few synthetic blends.

I'm not sure there's much advantage to changing your factory fill oil at 200 miles, given how well modern engines are built these days.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-06-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 08:33 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does not say synthetic in the manual. 10k miles is a lot of miles on non-synthetic oil. I think I may change mine at 200 miles on the first oil change as that has to have the most debris due to break-in.
If you're using the Toyota genuine motor oil for the IS350, i believe that is full syn. I can't find the link but i recall someone did a test analysis on the oil vs comps and filter comps too and Toyota's oil and filter was ranked 2 out of 10 or something like that (1 being the best).

Originally Posted by IC350
Since we are talking about oil change. I had my 10k service done, so I can wait unit 20k to get my oil change again so i can skip my 15k service ?
Found a local Lexus master tech with his own shop. Hit up Nelson Guerera at LXT Automotive in Rockville, MD. Dude does legit business at great prices.. your interval maintenance checks 15k, 25k, etc., will run only about $80.. great guy to work with, tell him Savy sent you hopefully there are discounts for reference. Its about an hour drive for me, but he knows his stuff and is worth it.
Old 03-06-15, 08:52 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
If you're using the Toyota genuine motor oil for the IS350, i believe that is full syn. I can't find the link but i recall someone did a test analysis on the oil vs comps and filter comps too and Toyota's oil and filter was ranked 2 out of 10 or something like that (1 being the best).

Found a local Lexus master tech with his own shop. Hit up Nelson Guerera at LXT Automotive in Rockville, MD. Dude does legit business at great prices.. your interval maintenance checks 15k, 25k, etc., will run only about $80.. great guy to work with, tell him Savy sent you hopefully there are discounts for reference. Its about an hour drive for me, but he knows his stuff and is worth it.
If you are able to find a trustworthy shop to maintain your vehicle, you will save a lot of grief and money - most dealers have a lot of overhead in operating their business which translates to higher costs to the customer. I applaud you for being able to find a great shop.

Also, you are correct about TGMO - it's some of the best oil out there and easily achieves the 10k miles between changes that is recommended by Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-06-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 09:15 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sounds excessive but better early than late. once a year under 10k miles works.
Is it really that excessive? Maybe I'll look into it again after 5k. I want to see how the oil looks like. If it is ok to do it every 10k instead, it'll save my a few pennies.

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
You're kidding, right? Just how do you check the "health" of your oil with the dipstick? You can check the "level" of the oil with the dipstick, but to determine the actual condition of your oil would require a used oil analysis done by a competent lab equipped to do a proper analysis.
I'm not kidding. Sorry for the lack of better term, "health", but oil lab analysis is not needed from a simple 5k/10k mile oil usage. I'm sure OP just cruises with his car and doesn't race it. Are you suggesting if I want to know the health of my tire air pressure, I'd need to get a sample of the air and do it through a competent lab equipped to do a proper analysis too? Not the same but just for comparison.

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
While I agree that looking at your oil on the dipstick can point to things like blown head gaskets if it is milky or foamy but otherwise it is bad advice to suggest that looking at oil will be able to tell if it needs to be changed. A lot of people will falsely assume they should change darker looking oil when in reality a darker oil may have plenty of life left and is just doing its job removing contaminates. Yes, I agree, change the oil every 10K miles or one year, whichever comes sooner.

Mike
I don't have problems with darker oil, it's the solid build up that starts to raise a flag for me, so as the oil level, of course.

I don't want to start up anything else but let's just leave it at changing it every 10k miles, alright?
Old 03-06-15, 09:52 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
Is it really that excessive? Maybe I'll look into it again after 5k. I want to see how the oil looks like. If it is ok to do it every 10k instead, it'll save my a few pennies.

I'm not kidding. Sorry for the lack of better term, "health", but oil lab analysis is not needed from a simple 5k/10k mile oil usage. I'm sure OP just cruises with his car and doesn't race it. Are you suggesting if I want to know the health of my tire air pressure, I'd need to get a sample of the air and do it through a competent lab equipped to do a proper analysis too? Not the same but just for comparison.

I don't have problems with darker oil, it's the solid build up that starts to raise a flag for me, so as the oil level, of course.

I don't want to start up anything else but let's just leave it at changing it every 10k miles, alright?
Holy moly - why would you pull an apples to oranges comparison on me because you used an incorrect term to describe something? I was merely pointing out that in most cases you can't actually tell the condition of oil just by looking at it. I'm not suggesting people should routinely have their oil analyzed unnecessarily.

Our 350 is our third IS and from what I've seen, these cars are pretty easy on oil under normal driving. TGMO or any quality 0w20 full synthetic will probably easily do the 10k changes that they recommend now. Some folks probably still prefer the 5k or some other interval - it's personal preference.

As others have stated, you should change the oil at least once a year, even if at less than the recommended miles.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-06-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 10:18 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a good idea. I believe Lexus uses a special oil blend to help with breakin. Can anyone confirm?
Old 03-06-15, 10:51 AM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
Not a good idea. I believe Lexus uses a special oil blend to help with breakin. Can anyone confirm?
I'll just do it according to Lexus, 10k. I'm old school when it comes to breaking in engines on boats, motorcycles, and cars. I know the Lexus will be fine as the engines are made to very close tolerances now.

Not crazy about the OEM BF Goodrich turanza summer tires that came with the car. It is below freezing here sometimes.

Am also thinking about upgrading my Apple I4s to the SIRI as that may be very useful indeed.

Cheers!
Old 03-06-15, 10:53 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Holy moly - why would you pull an apples to oranges comparison on me because you used an incorrect term to describe something? I was merely pointing out that in most cases you can't actually tell the condition of oil just by looking at it.

Our 350 is our third IS and from what I've seen, these cars are pretty easy on oil under normal driving. TGMO or any quality 0w20 full synthetic will probably easily do the 10k changes that they recommend now. Some folks probably still prefer the 5k or some other interval - it's personal preference.

As others have stated, you should change the oil at least once a year, even if at less than the recommended miles.
It's a simple parallel comparison. Visual check on oil is sufficient enough. I only used the term health to judge if it's time to change the oil, not the actual status and chemistry of it. Do you think these independent shops (even the dealerships) will do a lab test just to check your engine oil "health"? The only things they will check that is even related to engine oil are the following:

-Check engine oil level
-Check engine oil appearance
-Visual inspection for oil leaks
-Drain and replace engine oil annually (if needed)
-Replace engine lube oil filters (if oil is replaced)

We just want to simplify it for OP that wants to know when to change his oil, none of this lab test stuff. Check the level and check if there are dirt like matter developing and call that a day. This really escalated from me stating this word "health". What term do I use then? Oil appearance? Oil color?
Old 03-06-15, 12:22 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a simple parallel comparison. Visual check on oil is sufficient enough. I only used the term health to judge if it's time to change the oil, not the actual status and chemistry of it. Do you think these independent shops (even the dealerships) will do a lab test just to check your engine oil "health"? The only things they will check that is even related to engine oil are the following:

-Check engine oil level

We just want to simplify it for OP that wants to know when to change his oil, none of this lab test stuff. Check the level and check if there are dirt like matter developing and call that a day. This really escalated from me stating this word "health". What term do I use then? Oil appearance? Oil color?
I have to agree with bgaerttner here. You cant just look at the dip stick and determine if your car needs an oil change.
Old 03-06-15, 12:47 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

-Check engine oil level

You know - I agree with all the things you're saying here - wish now I would've never said anything about your use of the term "health." I've never said or suggested that the dealer or anyone else is going to or should do a full blown chemical analysis to determine the need for an oil change.

I read your posts all the time - you seem like a good guy from all indications - you do whatever is comfortable for you in the maintenance of your vehicle.

The OP got the right advice from the posters here, so I think everything is fine.
Old 03-06-15, 01:06 PM
Maxiii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always change my own oil every 3500 miles,but thats' just me.
Old 03-06-15, 04:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wasteful if you test the remaining TBN on that oil but its your money
Old 03-06-15, 08:41 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxiii
i always change my own oil every 3500 miles,but thats' just me.
Same here.
I get my oil change every 5000~8000km with 5W-30.
I believe the manufacturers would want to car break down more than any one else and that's how they will engineer their vehicles so they can keep their job.
Oil change is cheap while replacing the engine is expensive.
I rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-15, 08:43 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
Same here.
I believe the manufacturers would want to car break down more than any one else and that's how they will engineer their vehicles so they can keep their job.
"I believe the manufacturers would want to car break down more than any one else and that's how they will engineer their vehicles so they can keep their job." Are you joking or are your serious? Lexus engineers designs cars so they can break down, LOL,. Keep changing your oil at 3k miles, its your money and time. I will change mine at 10k and I bet my car will last same as your vehicle.
Old 03-07-15, 09:03 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by forum429
Same here.
And I suppose you have documented data and evidence that supports your belief that you can show us? We would be interested in seeing that. I think the people driving cars that have achieved hundreds of thousands of miles would wonder how they were so lucky - maybe the engineers exempted their vehicles from the intentional shorter shelf life?

I am not criticizing your maintenance regimen - that's your personal choice - but to suggest there's a deliberate specification of incorrect maintenance procedures for engineers' job security - well - that's out there.

Is 5w30 specified for ISs in Canada? Just curious as to why the difference.

Quick Reply: oil