IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Absolutely rediculously long review of the 2015 Audi S4 versus the 2014 Lexus IS350..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 02:24 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent review, and bravo for being unbiased.
Good read indeed!
Old 03-05-15, 02:44 PM
NG3IS3F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Review, I've always had a crush on the S4. I just traded my 2014 IS350 F-Sport for a 2015 BMW 335i M-Sport. The Lexus was a good car but the transmission always felt like it was in the wrong gear and the lack of torque at lower rpm's made it boring to drive around town. It's funny, the engine and transmission in the BMW are better but I actually prefer the handling and steering feel of the IS.
Old 03-05-15, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NG3IS3F
Good Review, I've always had a crush on the S4. I just traded my 2014 IS350 F-Sport for a 2015 BMW 335i M-Sport. The Lexus was a good car but the transmission always felt like it was in the wrong gear and the lack of torque at lower rpm's made it boring to drive around town. It's funny, the engine and transmission in the BMW are better but I actually prefer the handling and steering feel of the IS.
Why is that funny, most publications as of late would tend to agree with you.
Old 03-05-15, 07:23 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Long review and no pix?!! What gives?! jk on not being biased.
Old 03-06-15, 03:50 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

nice review!!! if you don't mind the dated exterior and interior looks and just focus on the mechanical parts the current S4 is a beast. it runs circles around the IS350, heck even 335i in terms of performance.
Old 03-06-15, 06:44 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Great review between these two dynamically different vehicles. I really liked how detailed you went with the pros and cons of each model.

You're correct that a set of sway bars could do wonders with reducing or eliminating the understeering behavior of the 3IS and that it's unfortunate there are currently no affordable options available for this platform.
Old 03-06-15, 08:01 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I think this is the most spot on and detailed review that I have read on any forums. I agree with everything that OP stated but I also want to add to his review. One of the main reasons why Lexus always gets the unmatched reliability ratings is because of its the relative simplicity in technology the company using compared to its German counterparts. Simply look at 2GR-FSE. Although it is an excellent engine and it is probably still one of the best NA engines in the market but it has been in use since 2006 without any major changes/improvements. Audi on the other hand is always willing to embrace new technology in order to improve the performance even if it compromises reliability.

It is generally well known fact that NA engines tend to be significantly more reliable. FI engines get a lot more stress at lower to mid RPM and when you reduce the displacement and increase the torque it just inevitably becomes less reliable by its design. Furthermore, DSG transmission while being a superb tranny it is not the most reliable design and it requires a lot more maintenance as OP properly stated. Lexus often times is very conservative and generally uses proven reliable technology. This is both good and bad but I guess it has been working well so far for a company. One thing I admit 3IS 350 F Sport has in fact probably the best chassis its class and boy it does long for a sweet 3.0T type of engine in it.

Last edited by salvadorik; 03-06-15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 06:32 AM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent review. I drove the BMW 428 and the Audi A 5 S line, 2.0. I preferred driving the stripped BMW but it had a much higher lease. Maintenance was included, however.

The Audi's engine was anemic and didn't compare favorably. Nice interior, though.

For the loaded lease price, performance, and reliability (should I decide to keep it) the Lexus IS 350 F was the clear winner.

Old 03-07-15, 05:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Every time I'm in the market for a new car, I itch towards the Germans, but keep coming back to Lexus.

This unbiased and thorough review gave me the insight to stick to Lexus yet again.

Excellent unbiased and objective review.
Old 03-09-15, 05:45 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
It is generally well known fact that NA engines tend to be significantly more reliable. FI engines get a lot more stress at lower to mid RPM and when you reduce the displacement and increase the torque it just inevitably becomes less reliable by its design.
If the motor in engineered for the added stress of forced induction, there's no reason why it should not be as reliable as a NA motor. The turbos, however, should probably be considered a "wear item".
Old 03-09-15, 07:04 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
If the motor in engineered for the added stress of forced induction, there's no reason why it should not be as reliable as a NA motor. The turbos, however, should probably be considered a "wear item".
It doesn't matter how built up the engines parts are the stress is still that much greater on those parts that they wear down faster. Forced induction reliability continues to get better BUT over time NA engines always last longer. It doesn't go into my decision making because i dont ever keep a car past 50 k but this is the fact. Although the reason i am able to drive an IS350 for $399 a month is because of how reliable it is, 73% residual can't be touched by the germans (most of which use forced induction engines)
Old 03-10-15, 10:32 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

BMW has the closest the residual value. Lexus and BMW both have attractive leasing terms. I remember I optioned 335i close to 61K with around $650/month lease with 15K annual miles for 36 months. I think it was awesome for 61K car.
Old 03-15-15, 07:07 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
It doesn't matter how built up the engines parts are the stress is still that much greater on those parts that they wear down faster. Forced induction reliability continues to get better BUT over time NA engines always last longer. It doesn't go into my decision making because i dont ever keep a car past 50 k but this is the fact.
It doesn't matter???

Sorry, but what you claim are facts are not. If something is made twice as strong/hard/whatever, it can take twice the mechanical "stress".

You do know, for example, that over-the-road trucks "stress" their motors far more than any car engine does, but last more miles? They are built to take it.
Old 03-16-15, 01:29 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by dizlex
It doesn't matter???

Sorry, but what you claim are facts are not. If something is made twice as strong/hard/whatever, it can take twice the mechanical "stress".

You do know, for example, that over-the-road trucks "stress" their motors far more than any car engine does, but last more miles? They are built to take it.
****-poor rebuttal, poor form. Would not read again.

I LOVE boosted engines, but I can't sit here and honestly say to anyone that they are just as reliable as a good NA motor. Nope, they aren't. Period. It's not even debatable.

Things to remember:
  1. Turbo's make a ton of heat. TONS OF IT. This impacts everything in the engine bay,.
  2. Turbo's are expensive to replace and/or repair.
  3. Boost spikes can cause serious damage and can't always be predicted.

Looka t the fiasco BMW just went through with the N54 engines. Or what about Audi with the 3.0T?

I'm the biggest turbo fanboy in the room, but that doesn't mean that I am going to sit here and rattle off a bunch of nonsense. Until turbocharged/supercharged engines are demonstrably as reliable as their equivalent NA counterparts, it is irresponsible to promote the image that they are magically more reliable.

Are they more reliable than the used to be? Absolutely. Let's call a spade a spade, though. You're taking a turbine, spinning it with hot exhaust gases at over 100,000 rpm, and then sticking that giant heat-machine underneath the hood of a car.

A formula for reliability that is not.
Old 03-17-15, 12:17 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, and was unbiased. Thanks for taking the time to write this up for us!

Quick Reply: Absolutely rediculously long review of the 2015 Audi S4 versus the 2014 Lexus IS350..