IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealer get me out of my Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 05:19 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
See my example with the Tacoma. It's not a lease termination, it's a trade in.
I sell cars so let me chime in.
This guy is right. If the trade in value is the same or greater than the overall pay off, you can get out of the car easily.

Less easy but often effective, the dealer can lower the overall price of the car to compensate for the negative equity caused by the remaining lease payments. Most dealers will not want to do this since they have you on the hook for your current deal. Since my store is a volume dealer, we do this very often. But only up to a point.

I don't know of any dealers outside of south Florida and Cali who would do this very much. wE SELL 600 cars a month and sometimes push the envelope to make it happen. Most Lexus dealers don't care about volume. They maximize profit on each car.

Too bad the OP lives too far from me, I'd help him get a deal done.
Old 02-22-15, 05:22 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to love the value the Tacoma keeps, I tried buying a used one, cant believe what they are asking for them

See my example with the Tacoma. It's not a lease termination, it's a trade in.
Old 02-22-15, 05:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotatom
You have to love the value the Tacoma keeps, I tried buying a used one, cant believe what they are asking for them
It's insane. I leased it at $31k, and the dealer sold it, 3 years and 25k miles later, for $26k or $28k as I remember. I want one again.

Last edited by JDR76; 02-22-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 05:31 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350

I'll keep you in mind in 2016 when my lease is ending
Old 02-22-15, 05:32 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

600 a month, that's crazy. How many sales people work there? That's an amazing amount of cars to sell in a month

This guy is right. If the trade in value is the same or greater than the overall pay off, you can get out of the car easily.

Less easy but often effective, the dealer can lower the overall price of the car to compensate for the negative equity caused by the remaining lease payments. Most dealers will not want to do this since they have you on the hook for your current deal. Since my store is a volume dealer, we do this very often. But only up to a point.

I don't know of any dealers outside of south Florida and Cali who would do this very much. wE SELL 600 cars a month and sometimes push the envelope to make it happen. Most Lexus dealers don't care about volume. They maximize profit on each car.

Old 02-22-15, 05:37 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I live in CT, $25,000 will get you a 5 year old truck with anywhere from 50k to 65K for miles.

It's insane. I leased it at $31k, and the dealer sold it, 3 years and $25k miles later, for $26k or $28k as I remember. I want one again.
Old 02-22-15, 08:30 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Try LeaseTrader.com. There's another website for trading leases that I can't remember.
Old 02-22-15, 10:33 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
So you're going to tell me that a dealer will pay out of pocket to terminate a lease early, with zero financial implications on the owner?

Show me a situation where that happened that didn't involve some kind of goodwill gesture and I'll donate $100 CAD to a charity of your choice. If you can't, you donate $100 CAD to a charity of my choice. Fair wager?
You sir don't seem to have a grasp of the financial aspects of an auto lease - it is just another way to finance a vehicle. As others have already said, if your lease buyout is less than the market value of the vehicle, you can absolutely get yourself out of a lease - either by trading it in or selling it to a dealer or private buyer. Obviously, a dealer will probably not enter into a transaction that is not profitable for them, but if the numbers support it, they'll buy your car whether it's a lease, conventionally financed, or fully paid for.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 02-22-15 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 05:08 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

I think its swaplease or something like that, your right that is another avenue for the OP to look at

Originally Posted by azmojo
Try LeaseTrader.com. There's another website for trading leases that I can't remember.
Old 02-23-15, 07:04 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think its swaplease or something like that, your right that is another avenue for the OP to look at
+1 swapalease.com
Old 02-23-15, 07:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With the better Lexus lease deals the last couple of years and today,the value will be at best at or most likely under lease residual with just about every Lexus model.
Old 02-23-15, 08:41 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

You can always sell the car outright to someone else to get out of the lease also.
Thanks.

They're called "Stealerships" for a reason.
Hehe.

Thanks so much for your thorough post and kind offer, Ice350!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
With the better Lexus lease deals the last couple of years and today,the value will be at best at or most likely under lease residual with just about every Lexus model.

Didn't expect such an outpouring. Great commentary and support everyone!

And yes, I may look into lease trading and swap sites as well...

Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-23-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 10:27 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer is no.

Contact everyone you want, it doesn't matter. They will not pay out of pocket to terminate your lease early. One way or another, you will pay for it. Either your trade value will be adjusted, or the price of the next vehicle will.

They're called "Stealerships" for a reason.
So you're going to tell me that a dealer will pay out of pocket to terminate a lease early, with zero financial implications on the owner?

Show me a situation where that happened that didn't involve some kind of goodwill gesture and I'll donate $100 CAD to a charity of your choice. If you can't, you donate $100 CAD to a charity of my choice. Fair wager?
You feel very strongly about that huh? Why so bitter? My dealer has treated me like gold, I would never consider them a "stealership"
Old 02-25-15, 06:44 AM
jeff5755
Driver School Candidate

It depends. If the residual value plus remaining payments is less than the trade in value you'll be okay. But if the trade in value is less, then you effectively have negative equity and it'll cost you.

Here's an example. When I had my Tacoma lease, my residual (18k) plus remaining payments equaled about $21k. The dealer offered me $24k on trade, so I took it, pocketed $3k, and leased my new car.

So it all depends on your trade in value and balance owed. Might as well have a dealer run the numbers and see. You can always say no.
This is exactly correct. I work for a dealership. We pull people out of their leases early almost daily.
Old 02-26-15, 12:14 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

I've reached out to some dealers and I'm getting the feeling this won't make sense until I get closer to lease end and/or the market value of my car increases relatively (dealer need / customer demand / seasonal factors). I'm hearing that 6 months prior to lease end is when to strike. :|

If anyone hears of anything else, please let me know, as I'd like to lease a GS350 AWD with Navigation as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dealer get me out of my Lease?