IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Changing brake pads for IS350F

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

on my 2IS i swapped out to the low dust pads, rotors are still thick after 60k miles. How did they wear down the rotors at 16k?
Old 02-12-15, 09:25 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm swapping out to red stuff pads up front this weekend. I'll try and post back after a few thousand miles with the results. I'll keep my oem pads and deal with the dust in case they suck. It's just a DD for me so I doubt I'll notice much of a change in performance.
Old 02-12-15, 10:43 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
where do you live? if you're in so cal i'll change them for you for free. its beyond easy and you'll save over 75%. it'll take me 10 mins per tire.
It is so nice that you offered that to the OP. I am a SoCaler and would just like to shake your hand id we happen to be at a local meet. Just such a cool thing to offer.
Old 02-12-15, 11:07 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
It is so nice that you offered that to the OP. I am a SoCaler and would just like to shake your hand id we happen to be at a local meet. Just such a cool thing to offer.
+1 , not many people stick out their neck like that, you sir have my respect.

I actually went to a local shop and they replaced the pads for $80, I supplied the pads.
The pads I used were the 2015 F Sport Break pads from Sewell.
Total time of replacement on the pads were only 30-40 minutes. I now have a local shop to frequent for my services.

I asked them about my rotors, they said it looks fine and they measured it but recommended that I do not resurface it until 40-50k miles, because at 20k it's too early.
Old 02-12-15, 01:22 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waxy
+1 , not many people stick out their neck like that, you sir have my respect.

I actually went to a local shop and they replaced the pads for $80, I supplied the pads.
The pads I used were the 2015 F Sport Break pads from Sewell.
Total time of replacement on the pads were only 30-40 minutes. I now have a local shop to frequent for my services.

I asked them about my rotors, they said it looks fine and they measured it but recommended that I do not resurface it until 40-50k miles, because at 20k it's too early.
Hmm.. He didn't notice that rotors developed lips? If you put perfectly flat pads on a rotor with some lips the, new pads wont like it and also breaking may be 100% cause the lips will be on the way for the pads to have 100% contact with rotors. Anyway, i am glad that you replaced the pads. By the way I am at 21K now. Does that mean i will have to replace the pads soon? What about the rear brakes? How did you find out that the pads need to be replaced?
Old 02-13-15, 09:49 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Hmm.. He didn't notice that rotors developed lips? If you put perfectly flat pads on a rotor with some lips the, new pads wont like it and also breaking may be 100% cause the lips will be on the way for the pads to have 100% contact with rotors. Anyway, i am glad that you replaced the pads. By the way I am at 21K now. Does that mean i will have to replace the pads soon? What about the rear brakes? How did you find out that the pads need to be replaced?
Does that mean i will have to replace the pads soon?
More than likely, depending on how aggressive you drive.

What about the rear brakes?
Rear brakes are the emergency brakes, I didn't change them even though I use them every time I park. You probably don't need to change them for a long time.

How did you find out that the pads need to be replaced?
I started noticing the squeaky sounds on my front breaks, and it's easy to tell when you need new brakes when you don't have the same bite as you did. Also when I took it in for an oil change at 20k my technician at Lexus Parts and Services informed me there's 2mm left on the 9mm brake pad. There are no activated sensors or means of measurement that is registered into the vehicle. It's just standard hot swap as R0shir0 stated it's very easy but I'm not allowed to do it

Last edited by waxy; 02-13-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 10:26 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waxy
Does that mean i will have to replace the pads soon?
More than likely, depending on how aggressive you drive.

What about the rear brakes?
Rear brakes are the emergency brakes, I didn't change them even though I use them every time I park. You probably don't need to change them for a long time.

How did you find out that the pads need to be replaced?
I started noticing the squeaky sounds on my front breaks, and it's easy to tell when you need new brakes when you don't have the same bite as you did. Also when I took it in for an oil change at 20k my technician at Lexus Parts and Services informed me there's 2mm left on the 9mm brake pad. There are no activated sensors or means of measurement that is registered into the vehicle. It's just standard hot swap as R0shir0 stated it's very easy but I'm not allowed to do it
Thank you very much for your detailed and very well organized response
Old 02-13-15, 11:56 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Hi,

I have a non-f sport is350 and the brakes used to make too much dust and noise. At around 25k the dealer told me that my brakes needs to be changed and the rotors needs to be resurfaced. During my discussion with the dealer he told me that he was surprised that the pads lasted 25k and others replaced it at 6k !. Anyway I told him that I want the low dust pads and my car made too much dust which is weird since its not an F sport. The new pads are much better in terms of dust and noise. The dealer replaced it with resurfacing for 260$ which 60$ more than local shops, but its worth it as their resurfacing is much better and their work is guarantied.

Last edited by AMNss; 02-13-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 08:46 AM
4WDrift
Rookie

Lightbulb F Sport pads are hard(er) on rotors

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
also, for those who swapped out their F sport brakes for the non-F sport brakes.. i need an explanation here.. the indy shop mechanic told me that the reason why the F Sport has more brake dust is because in theory, the brakes are softer and the rotors are harder. less brake dust would be the opposite, so harder pads, softer rotor. but if my softer F Sport brakes wore down my rotors at 16k miles of 20% highway, 40% suburban, 40% of city driving, and if i switch to the non-F Sport brakes, which yield less brake fade because of the stiffer pad, will i kill my rotors in even faster time? logic tells me that i would. what's everyone's experience on switching to the non-f sport pads? are they eatting up your rotors?
Mechanic is backwards. F Sports come with a harder higher friction compound that has a more aggressive bite on the iron rotors thus wearing them faster. Pads can wear faster too due to more aggressive F Sport driving style. Non-F pads will dust less / wear faster but save rotors / stop slower, okay if you don't mind it. Like tire compounds and oil weights, use the right one for the job you want.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake-pads
http://www.performancefriction.com/m...criptions.aspx
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads

Last edited by 4WDrift; 02-14-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 08:53 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
on my 2IS i swapped out to the low dust pads, rotors are still thick after 60k miles. How did they wear down the rotors at 16k?
to be quite honest, i really don't know. i certainly don't have a lead foot, my wife does, but she doesn't take out the car the often. like i mentioned i do an almost even percentage of mixed driving and it just boggles my mind. when my mechanic showed me the rotor, it appears to wear unevenly. the inner part of the rotor towards the hub was very compressed, while the farthest area looked to wear appropriately. see attachment, just an example picture from the internet, but yeah this is how the rotors effed up..

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Mechanic is backwards. F Sports come with a harder higher friction compound that has a more aggressive bite on the iron rotors thus wearing them faster. Pads can wear faster too due to more aggressive F Sport driving style. Non-F pads will dust less / wear faster but save rotors / stop slower, okay if you don't mind it.
wait i'm confused.. so in both instances you mentioned F sport and non-F sport pads wear faster? i thought that if there is less brake dust, theoretically, there is less wear or slower wear, am i wrong? for instance, 4TehNguyen swapped for the non-f sport and says his pads are still beefy and thick..(i'm sure even after 20k miles or so, though he didn't mention when he changed them).
Old 03-03-15, 09:30 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

to be quite honest, i really don't know. i certainly don't have a lead foot, my wife does, but she doesn't take out the car the often. like i mentioned i do an almost even percentage of mixed driving and it just boggles my mind. when my mechanic showed me the rotor, it appears to wear unevenly. the inner part of the rotor towards the hub was very compressed, while the farthest area looked to wear appropriately. see attachment, just an example picture from the internet, but yeah this is how the rotors effed up..

wait i'm confused.. so in both instances you mentioned F sport and non-F sport pads wear faster? i thought that if there is less brake dust, theoretically, there is less wear or slower wear, am i wrong? for instance, 4TehNguyen swapped for the non-f sport and says his pads are still beefy and thick..(i'm sure even after 20k miles or so, though he didn't mention when he changed them).
I read his (4WDrift) post to say f-sport rotors wear faster than non f-sport rotors because the f-sport pads are harder on rotors than non f-sport pads.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-03-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 10:07 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
I read his (4WDrift) post to say f-sport rotors wear faster than non f-sport rotors because the f-sport pads are harder on rotors than non f-sport pads.
that would make sense, but while sewell was up, it was confirmed that there is only one set of rotors for the IS350 f sport and non-f sport--both the same.. the only difference was in the pads (f sport and non-f sport.)
Old 03-03-15, 10:15 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

that would make sense, but while sewell was up, it was confirmed that there is only one set of rotors for the IS350 f sport and non-f sport--both the same.. the only difference was in the pads (f sport and non-f sport.)
I think if you read his post carefully, I don't think he ever states the two models have different rotors, so I guess I don't understand your point.
Old 03-04-15, 10:43 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
I think if you read his post carefully, I don't think he ever states the two models have different rotors, so I guess I don't understand your point.
you're telling me something i already know, that is rotors are the same on both cars, with the exception of two different pads -- f sport and non-f sport.
the poster mentioned that the f sport pads will ruin the rotors (which i obviously already know by experience), create more brake dust and FADE FASTER. he also goes to mention that the non-f sport will be easier on the rotor, have less brake dust, but also FADE FASTER as well? that's the point i'm trying to clear up because how can something work less intensely (less dust, prolong rotor life) but yet also fade just as fast? maybe that was a typo from him, which i was trying to clear up?
Old 03-04-15, 01:14 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

you're telling me something i already know, that is rotors are the same on both cars, with the exception of two different pads -- f sport and non-f sport.
the poster mentioned that the f sport pads will ruin the rotors (which i obviously already know by experience), create more brake dust and FADE FASTER. he also goes to mention that the non-f sport will be easier on the rotor, have less brake dust, but also FADE FASTER as well? that's the point i'm trying to clear up because how can something work less intensely (less dust, prolong rotor life) but yet also fade just as fast? maybe that was a typo from him, which i was trying to clear up?
I'm not sure it's that they work "less intensely" as much as maybe he's saying the non f-sport pads are softer compound and therefore easier on the rotors. I can't speculate on the "FADE FASTER" issue because I'm not that much of a brake guru. I guess maybe we'd have to see some heat build up data comparisons between the two pads to help form an opinion on that. I just hope we don't run into the problem you had with having to replace the rotors at 16k.

Quick Reply: Changing brake pads for IS350F