IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 10:52 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall it has been a good experience with Lexus. 3IS F - Sport has been my first Lexus and I hope not the last one. Lexus does make a strong case for itself in the face of strong competition coming from Germany. I experienced the car and well known dealer service. I was very well impressed with the former but not so much with the latter. In any case, I miss my 3IS already but I look forward to spending my trouble free (knock on the woods) years with a lovely S3.
Old 02-22-15, 07:26 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Overall it has been a good experience with Lexus. 3IS F - Sport has been my first Lexus and I hope not the last one. Lexus does make a strong case for itself in the face of strong competition coming from Germany. I experienced the car and well known dealer service. I was very well impressed with the former but not so much with the latter. In any case, I miss my 3IS already but I look forward to spending my trouble free (knock on the woods) years with a lovely S3.
Good luck, i think the car that fun will ultimately be rewarding, plus the color you chose is sweet!
Old 02-22-15, 10:24 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Loe
Good luck, i think the car that fun will ultimately be rewarding, plus the color you chose is sweet!
Thank you very much. I appreciate that a lot. I know the color is really sweet.
Old 02-22-15, 05:51 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

That's funny. I ordered a Sepang one as well. Super sport seats and red brakes as well
Old 02-22-15, 06:55 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Good choice! It really stands out in the crowd. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-23-15, 11:25 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dizlex
You're saying that I guy who likes sports cars should be OK with a "sedate" daily driver? Me thinks you have things backwards. I have a sports car, too, but that doesn't mean I want my "practical" car, the car that I drive most of the time to be boring. Enter IS350 RWD.
No, that's actually the point I'm making. Of course it depends on whay kind of sports car you have. When your sports car is really good, and I mean visceral, raw, and crazy, then no matter how good your DD is (unless it's like that as well), everything is a disappointment so no point in trying to reach that level. My Elise was a 10/10, so what difference does it make if I daily an S4 (comparatively, 4/10) or a Lexus GX460 (2/10). Now, if your sports car is an Audi S5 or an SL550 then you're right, the delta is way closer and it will matter to you.

Not saying the IS isn't fun, of course. I'm here looking for a new daily driver (will give the wife the GX and get something smaller since she ferries the kids 90% of the time and o commute solo) but after hustling a Lotus for so long they all feel sedate, including a rocket like the S4.

Last edited by MTLDean; 02-23-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 11:33 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

screw audiworld join audizine and never look back. good choice.
Old 02-23-15, 12:11 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nabizzy
screw audiworld join audizine and never look back. good choice.
What is wrong with Audiworld? Not trying to argue, just very curious if there is a strong reason to dislike this forum.
Old 03-10-15, 05:40 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back as I'm having similar dilemas with OP....have you decided yet?

Option 1: 2015 8V S3 sedan -- Technik in Sepang Blue
Option 2: 2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport -- AWD Series 2, or RWD (only Series 3 available) in Deep Sea Mica

Some things I came down to...

Interior space -- equal as both have adequate room for me (6') + 3 passengers but IS350 definitely has more
Exterior size -- S3 because smaller feels more nimble (personal preference)
Performance -- S3 because it's got a MUCH stronger punch, plus more potential
Exterior styling -- equal, both beautiful
Interior styling -- IS350
Interior quality -- N/A -- don't know much details of the quality
Fuel Consumption -- Going to assume S3 because 2L Turbo 4-Banger
Tranny -- S3 because dual clutch (although the Aizen 8-speed on the RWD is not bad either)
Drivetrain -- IS350 AWD or S3...not sure how I'll feel about RWD in Canadian winter. Also, uncertain which AWD is better because S3 has the FWD-based Haldex system (not the Torsen system like other Audis)
Aftermarket Support -- IS350 RWD, then S3, then IS350 AWD (not really into the whole mod game anymore, all I want is to get good quality coilovers like KW or Bilstein, and exhaust...possibly some small cosmetics)
Reliability -- either Lexus
Price -- S3 (every so slightly)
Sunglasses holder -- IS350 (S3 doesn't have one)
Rear Folding Seats -- equal (biggest grudge I have with my 2IS!!)

I'm coming from a 2009 IS250 AWD (my first vehicle), and this next car will be a daily driver with possibility of occasional Auto X time....

So...hard...to...decide................

Last edited by reyoasian; 03-10-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 08:02 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S3 looks like a turd. Its rounded edges and tiny dimensions make this most noticeable on the A3/S3. I understand its price point is probaly closest to the IS350 and that's where the comparison comes in but to my eyes it screams "I'm finally embracing my femininity" Even more so when you consider Audi still uses front wheel drive platforms across the board like Acura. I just can't see spending German car money on this little turd. The S3 and the CLA should come with stickers that say "my wife makes all the decisions" If you want the best performer that doesn't look like a jelly bean the BMW M235 wins all day long (most likely my next car after my IS lease is up)
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)-image.jpg  

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 03-10-15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 08:39 PM
glo6035
Rookie

The s3 is kinda sissy, thats why you don't see many of them on the roads. Bad interior, I'd get the s4, keep the a3 for chicks, and the s3 for super chicks.
Old 03-10-15, 10:43 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glo6035
The s3 is kinda sissy, thats why you don't see many of them on the roads. Bad interior, I'd get the s4, keep the a3 for chicks, and the s3 for super chicks.
Agreed the Golf R interior is actually nicer. Those two boob vents on an otherwise blank dash coupled with a stupid pop up nav screen No doubt google maps and that screen size is superior to the IS navi but that dash is atrocious.
Old 03-11-15, 05:04 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
The S3 looks like a turd. Its rounded edges and tiny dimensions make this most noticeable on the A3/S3. I understand its price point is probaly closest to the IS350 and that's where the comparison comes in but to my eyes it screams "I'm finally embracing my femininity" Even more so when you consider Audi still uses front wheel drive platforms across the board like Acura. I just can't see spending German car money on this little turd. The S3 and the CLA should come with stickers that say "my wife makes all the decisions" If you want the best performer that doesn't look like a jelly bean the BMW M235 wins all day long (most likely my next car after my IS lease is up)
Looks is subjective. Simply saying a car looks like a turd (to your opinion) is not saying much.
It's not the price point that I'm concentrating on actually, it's the car. There's nothing wrong with a FWD platform, it's just the norm. Even with a FWD based AWD, the Quattro (Torsen System) blows Toyota's AWD out of the dust. Acura's SH-AWD even has torque vectoring which Toyota doesn't. CLA is ugly to my eyes, but again that's subjective, people have their own tastes. The S3 does look a little small from the outside, but it's interior room is bigger than my current 2IS. Another thing I like is that S3 looks so low-profile, it's not screaming "look at me I'm driving a new $50k sports sedan". M235xi definitely drives better than any other vehicle in this segment and even other segments, but I'm not a fan of coupes, and don't like how the **** looks on this car.
I like smaller, more nimble vehicles which is a plus when it comes to Auto X. I've driven all 4 vehicles mentioned here, hard and pushed to the limits and coming from a heavily-suspension-modded 2IS, the 3IS doesn't impress me. Neither does S3, but that can be changed with some KW or Bilstein coilovers (last I checked, only RSR makes coilovers for the 3IS AWD).

Originally Posted by glo6035
The 8V S3 is still new. Current S4 has been around for a while now, but also drives like a big doo-doo because it's so nose heavy (along with S5). Weight distribution is like 110% front and -10% rear.

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Agreed the Golf R interior is actually nicer. Those two boob vents on an otherwise blank dash coupled with a stupid pop up nav screen No doubt google maps and that screen size is superior to the IS navi but that dash is atrocious.
If the R is available now I'd take it without hesitation. Unfortunately it won't land dealerships here until late August.
Old 03-11-15, 05:07 PM
nabizzy
Rookie

Originally Posted by salvadorik
What is wrong with Audiworld? Not trying to argue, just very curious if there is a strong reason to dislike this forum.
its just not that active, all the people i have met who are worth knowing i have met on audizine.
Old 03-11-15, 05:20 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nabizzy
its just not that active, all the people i have met who are worth knowing i have met on audizine.
I noticed that too. Audizine is much more active. I did see salvadorik on AudiWorld today, haha.

Quick Reply: Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)