IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 06:30 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I don't think it is a "problem" if I don't side with Lexus even on Lexus forum. I don't think it is a "problem" if I advocate Audi. OP asked the legitimate question as what people recommend, even though OP acknowledged the possibility of the answers to be Lexus biased because it is posted on Lexus forum. I believe it is totally fine and acceptable to advocate one make over the other provided the valid reasons are given. In my opinion I truly believe that S3 is superior vehicle than 3IS 350. And in general Audi is superior than Lexus. This is my opinion and you are welcome to disagree. But I don't think it is a "problem" to have that opinion, now is it?
I never said it was a problem that you had that opinion. You just seemed rather quick to call people out for having a difference in opinion, or a different experience, or a list of facts that differed with what you thought the facts were. That's just gonna happen, it's an internet forum full of lots of different people with different ideas. Anyway I don't wanna litter up this thread more, so...
Old 02-11-15, 06:34 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wfibear
I never said it was a problem that you had that opinion. You just seemed rather quick to call people out for having a difference in opinion, or a different experience, or a list of facts that differed with what you thought the facts were. That's just gonna happen, it's an internet forum full of lots of different people with different ideas. Anyway I don't wanna litter up this thread more, so...
Ok. Let us just stop here and forget what happened. Ok? I propose to have a peaceful and constructive discussion that help OP and enlighten other people who may have the same dilemma as the OP has. Now let us get back to original topic. Thanks.
Old 02-12-15, 05:03 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

I think the thing the IS has that I keep thinking about it the great design, reliability and cheaper insurance cost. I even like the nulux seats more than the leather ones in the S3. They are more comfy and durable than the audi seats. I have leather in my 911 and the upkeep can be a PITA, along with how it can crease and get wear the finish off on the bolsters.
Old 02-12-15, 07:41 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the lexus just so you and the wife can match. Thats what i did. My wife has a 2015 white RX350 Fsport i drive a 2014 IS350 Fsport and its white as well. Looks cool when parked next to eachother in the drive way. his and hers!
Old 02-13-15, 05:58 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Generally to get a better more reliable statistical data on reliability of a certain make is to conduct large studies, such as those conducted by JD Power and Consumer Reports. Please read the latest consumer report findings on reliability. Audi has been ranked among the top 5 most reliable makes for the last three years.

And yet you cite your personal anecdote about your negative experience with Lexus (e.g. rude customer rep) upstream on this thread. If large studies are what's needed to get more reliable statistical data, your anecdote is irrelevant.

Back on topic, I would get the IS 350 over the S3. The IS has larger, more comfortable rear seating space. Love the dashboard's minimalist design, very Apple-like. Performance wise, they are pretty similar, but I have more confidence in Japanese over German electronics, which points to better durability and reliability in the IS. JD Power and Consumer Reports data attest to this. For 2014, JD Power ranks Audi reliability below the industry average. Audi is nowhere near the "top 5" makes. Lexus is at the very top.

http://pictures.dealer.com/j/jdpower...2d4418934x.jpg

Last edited by gyrase321; 02-13-15 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:07 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

IAnd in general Audi is superior than Lexus. This is my opinion and you are welcome to disagree. But I don't think it is a "problem" to have that opinion, now is it?
You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts. According to the facts collected by JD Power and Consumer Reports, Lexus is superior to Audi.
Old 02-13-15, 07:55 AM
FPerform
Driver

Originally Posted by gyrase321
You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts. According to the facts collected by JD Power and Consumer Reports, Lexus is superior to Audi.
Also according to SALES Lexus is superior to Audi, not really close either.
Old 02-13-15, 07:55 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gyrase321
You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.
Fair enough

Last edited by salvadorik; 02-13-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 07:58 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FPerform
Also according to SALES Lexus is superior to Audi, not really close either.
This may hold true only in US. But if you take worldwide figures, Lexus is behid Audi. The king here is BMW.

IMO the singe biggest advantage that Lexus has over Audi is industry leading reliability. Also in my opinion, the reason for that is beacause Lexus tends to be conservative and use the parts that have proved to be reliable for years e.g. 2GR-FSE engine is used since 2006 and 2.5L V6 on IS250 is an ancient motor as well. Look what happens if you stop innovate. Those engines leave just mediocre impression while being gas thirsty. Audi has been using forced induction for more than decade and of course it gets more issues at the beginning. Audi is more complex and offers better technology and overall that what it makes in mind Audi to be superior to Lexus. Reliability is only one factor but not the only one.

Last edited by salvadorik; 02-13-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 10:41 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

This may hold true only in US. But if you take worldwide figures, Lexus is behid Audi. The king here is BMW.

IMO the singe biggest advantage that Lexus has over Audi is industry leading reliability. Also in my opinion, the reason for that is beacause Lexus tends to be conservative and use the parts that have proved to be reliable for years e.g. 2GR-FSE engine is used since 2006 and 2.5L V6 on IS250 is an ancient motor as well. Look what happens if you stop innovate. Those engines leave just mediocre impression while being gas thirsty. Audi has been using forced induction for more than decade and of course it gets more issues at the beginning. Audi is more complex and offers better technology and overall that what it makes in mind Audi to be superior to Lexus. Reliability is only one factor but not the only one.
OP, I live 90 miles from the nearest Audi, BMW, and Lexus dealerships. I have a demanding job, so killing half a day to drive to and from Las Vegas for service isn't an easy thing for me to do. So, I made my purchase based on perceived reliability rather than performance. Aside from an apparently incurable problem where my nav/stereo periodically reboots, the car has been bullet-proof. Reliable yes, exciting to drive--hardly.

Years ago, I owned an E36 M3. But for maintenance, I'd be driving it still. I never tired of driving that car, even if it was a trip to the convenience store. I don't feel the same way about the IS 350. The best I can say for the Lexus is that it's a reliable and competent RWD sedan. Its deficits: relatively slow, it rolls too much in turns, way too much understeer, and there's no aftermarket (unless you believe that $1K for sway bars from TRD is reasonable or that an intake or exhaust will make your Lexus go faster). The lack of a memory function on the driver's seat was almost a deal breaker for me. Gas mileage is only so-so as well. But the car is built like a Swiss watch, and I have little doubt that it will hold together well over the years. The last Audi I owned was an "06 A3 DSG 3.2 V6 Quattro. I saw my dealer far more often that I wanted to, but at that time I was living closer to an Audi dealership.

Here's my counsel: If Audi reliability has improved (and it appears this has happened), make your decision based on driving dynamics. Also, consider saving yourself a few bucks and look at the Golf R. Same platform as the A3/S3.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 02-13-15 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 11:25 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Also, consider saving yourself a few bucks and look at the Golf R. Same platform as the A3/S3.
This has been said at least twice now. Interior wouldn't be as close as the Audi but exterior should be a subjective thing. etc etc etc

To OP, if you decide to step away from a Lexus, which things from the Audi can you live without in the Golf R.
Old 02-13-15, 12:41 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

I don't want a hatchback, so the Golf R is out for me...sedan only.
Old 02-13-15, 06:21 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

If it had 350 HP, nav, etc for mid $40k that would be great. Sadly I'm in Canada, and the series 1 f sport is $52k with 306 HP, no nav, no heated wheel, and no sunroof. The S3 has 292 HP, large sunroof and is cheaper by a couple grand. Dealer is even taking $1000 off and including 4 years maintenance, which sounds better to me, no? It's just the reliability which is my concern.
Old 02-13-15, 07:05 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

That same car is $47,900 in Canada. The F Sport is a bit more, and deletes a few things, but adds the suspension, etc. not complaining, as its a great car for sure, but I was disappointed that to get the sunroof and nav here it's $56,800 plus 5% sales tax, so pretty much $60k all said and done.
Old 02-18-15, 10:09 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

I bought a brand new 2011 Audi S4 in late 2010. It was my dream car, I was on cloud nine when I brought it home. Within the first few months the water pump failed (3 days at the dealer). Then a piece of weather stripping fell off the rear door jamb. Then the electrical system behind all the lights and screen in the dash started to flicker on and off. Even with video of it, they wouldn't fix it unless it failed totally. For three months I had to drive a 65k car with a screen that died and came back to life ten times a day before it finally failed. Another 5 days at the dealer. Then the headlight washers both failed a few months apart from each other. Took a whole new bumper and 3 days at the dealer to repair. Then, when I picked it up, the bumper corners didn't line up with the front 3/4 panels - another day and a half at the dealer. Then, two visits for oil in a year besides the scheduled annual oil change due to extreme consumption. All this in 2 years and 12,000 km of pampered driving. Then, a miracle. 8 months of no problems at all. I was convinced that all the kinks were worked out and the car would be normal and trouble free at last. At 18,000 km, I turned it on one day and about five CELs went up and the car felt like it was running on two misfiring cylinders. Sure enough, the dreaded carbon buildup in a 3L TFSI supercharged engine that was never supposed to happen. That took five days to fix - header from the block, valve clean outs, and so on.

So I must have gotten a lemon, right? My brother in law's S4, same year also had a water pump failure, and needed a clutch replacement in the first year. My other brother in law's A4 had about ten servos controlling windshield wipers, mirrors, windows etc comically fail one after the other. After the thirtieth time in the shop, he sold it. One of my colleagues had his steering column fail on a highway radiator go twice, and light ballasts self destruct within the first year if ownership.

I want to throw his out there: I have owned two Lotus over four years and I've had ONE CEL (that's 1) go on in that entire time for a loose fuel cap. Again, that's Lotus, as in cobbled together by drunk Englishmen in the countryside as opposed to a Teutonic factory with a German dude whipping the assembly line.

I sold that poor S4 and got a GX460 and never looked back. I love that big slothy beast, and am looking for another Lexus to add to the family now. Yes the Audi was fast as hell, but it was also disconnected from the road, had comatose steering, and was bland as all hell to look at. Once you've had a Lotus Elise, you stop trying to find sporty daily drivers. There's really no point.
Anyways. All this to say that, if the OP didn't already pull the trigger, I would definitely go for the Lexus. As a scientist I'm very well aware if the difference between data and anecdotes, but after you've been to hell and back with what is supposed to be a prime example of modern tech (the S4) you stop caring about rankings and quality reports and all that.

Last edited by MTLDean; 02-18-15 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)