IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So long lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 10:34 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So long lexus!

i had not planned to do this for another year but my frustrations finally got the better of me.

last saturday i traded in my wife 2013 GS-350 F sport on a new Acura MDX AWD tech advance with rear ent system.
i was 7 grand upside down in my lease and the dealer sold me their car for just about the same amount off sticker ( i am an unbelievable negotiator!) i ended up with a 57,000 vehicle for about the same payment i was making. i also got a money factor that was .00019 something to that effect that came to .75% interest on a 36 month lease. (that is literally unheard of from lexus and i didn't have to buy any multiple security deposits.

love the MDX so many things acura got right that lexus simply overlooked. one of my biggest gripes about the lexus is that every time i go to drive my wife car i always have to move the seat to my position. we sit near the same position so i am often down the road and have to put the car in park to operate the seat memory STUPID! LEXUS. this happens because lexus requires you to lock and then which ever fob unlocks tells the car who is driving. since we don't lock it in the garage, its always in the wrong setting.
the acura seems to know who is in the drivers seat, locked or not and returns everything to my settings on entry.
then there is the navigation system that is light years better than lexus, it actually works without reboots and dropped iPod connections. pandora that streams over bluetooth without some stupid app that eats your phone battery that we no longer use.

then today i got rid of the IS 350 that i ordered and waited 4 months for
and now after 13 months of ownership i managed an unbelievable deal on a brand new 2014 Cadillac CTS-V sport.
get this.. when you have a brand new car sitting on your lot for over a year and in the middle of winter in colorado with a 420 hp twin turbo RWD sport sedan you can work some amazing deals!
i just bought this car for $18,000 dollars off sticker price!!!!! can you say HOLY MOLY? yes i have in my garage a $70,080 car that i paid only $52,000 dollars for!!!
un belivable!
not only do i have heated seats, i have heated rear seats and cooled seats along with REAL CARBON FIBER inserts not the fake stuff.
microfiber suede accents and more gadgets and gizmos than a swiss army knife.
this car has everything that the new stingray has and more and almost as fast. 0-60 in just 4 seconds and 12.9 sec 1/4 mile!
it has rain sense wipers and auto high beam headlights and adaptive front lighting system.
lane departure warning and radar cruise with pre collision, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitors and dimming mirrors that actually dim.
brembo brakes and sport bucket seats with actual seat heaters that actually work!
oh and the mark levinson system sounds like a transistor radio compared to the bose 13 speaker surround system that pumps enough bass to shake the mirrors at full volume with no reduction in bass output.
all the exterior lights are LED as well as the interior lights.
4 different driving modes that remember the last setting each time i drive so i don't have to keep putting it in sport mode. fact is touring mode has so much power with the turbo that you never need to change it anyway.
magnetic ride suspension and electronically adjustable rear limited slip differential. in sport more and track mode the engine has an extra mean growl that is intoxicating! in tour mode it feels like a luxury car.
oh and a remote start that keeps the car running when you enter it! and my onstar app that i use for my GMC truck also starts the engine from anywhere in the world! i can stat either car from the app and locate its whereabouts anytime want. it also tells me the amount of fuel and distance to empty. the voice control gets the address right every time and if i want i can either call onstar or send a destination to my nav from my phone while driving!

anyway, i managed to replace both my lexus vehicles in less than a week and lexus if your reading this, you can suck my left nut! I'm done! I've tried 4 vehicles and while they are very nicely built cars. you got a lot of things right but a lot of things i had to sacrifice to own a lexus just isn't worth it anymore.
when i order a vehicle i want it FULLY optioned and if i want to pay extra for it i should have that ability. if i can get a GM product or an acura product with every single option box checked i should be able to do that without you telling me what i can and cannot have on my F sport.

so now i suspect ill get flamed, so flame away! all i know is i am happy with my decision and for the discount i got was far and away better than anything lexus ever offered me.
Old 02-05-15, 11:19 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice choices in replacement cars.
Old 02-06-15, 04:08 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This man knows! I only buy new cars that I can get a minimum of 10k off the MSRP. Draw your line or walk people.

Congrats on the rides. No flame.
Old 02-06-15, 04:20 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what flame? The Cadillac is an upgrade IMHO, especially the V-sport!. I've driven one, it's every bit as good as the reviews say it is. Congrats! Hate to see our resident audio expert leave though...
Old 02-06-15, 05:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the upgrades, I like the new cadillacs.

I really like the twin turbo set up, only thing that its missing is that you're going to have is that V8 growl. I think that 4.9second is a little generous though, it might be on ideal conditions and with a set of radials. Daily, I doubt you'll be willing to push the car hard enough to hit that number HOWEVER, unlike Lexus, you will now be able to mod and be able to tune that car. There is no reason that with an headers/exhaust and intake and a good quality tune that you couldn't push 480hp.

I did see an ATS-V at the Detroit autoshow and loved it.

I saw the new CTS-V also, and while its not my type of car (Just too big this generation), that motor has potential. It makes me look forward to the next ZL1.
Old 02-06-15, 06:13 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get CTS-V or an ATS-V?? You said CTS but mentioned twin turbos. Either way they're both sweet cars.
Old 02-06-15, 06:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mello03
Did you get CTS-V or an ATS-V?? You said CTS but mentioned twin turbos. Either way they're both sweet cars.
ATS-V = Twin Turbo V6 (3.6L) making 420hp

CTS VSport = Twin Turbo V6 (3.6L) making 420hp

CTS-V = Supercharged LT1 V8 (6.2L) making 640hp.

Don't confuse the Vs

OP got a CTS Vsport
Old 02-06-15, 07:42 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are basically comparing a GS to an MDX. Sounds like you initially bought the wrong computer with four wheels.

Then, you compared the IS to the CTS V Sport, not necessarily the same apples.

Anyway, congrats on the upgrades. Those are nice cars. No flame here. I just wouldn't bash Lexus based on those comparisons. Yes, Lexus' packaging sucks. It's been like this for many years. We go into our purchases knowing that. Good luck with your new cars. Doesn't mean you have to leave CL.
Old 02-06-15, 08:05 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obturator
You are basically comparing a GS to an MDX. Sounds like you initially bought the wrong computer with four wheels.

Then, you compared the IS to the CTS V Sport, not necessarily the same apples.

Anyway, congrats on the upgrades. Those are nice cars. No flame here. I just wouldn't bash Lexus based on those comparisons. Yes, Lexus' packaging sucks. It's been like this for many years. We go into our purchases knowing that. Good luck with your new cars. Doesn't mean you have to leave CL.
Agree. The IS compares well with the ATS.
Old 02-06-15, 08:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

V Sport is actually 0-60 in 4.5. CTS are heavily overpriced hence why that ones been sitting around and the massive discount. GM has a very hard time moving them. The backseat in that car is lowsy when compared to other cars in the class, especially those humps that protrude from the seat bottoms that rob footspace. Theres a hump in the front passenger foot area that my left foot catches on and robs footspace again. My legs could not be in a relaxed position. Car is large but feels so small inside. I found it uncomfortable for a big car. Definitely not worth 70k but definitely worth it at the price you got it for. Great job on the MDX, its a hot seller for a reason.

Yes lexus infotainment in this gen is pretty bad, hopefully an update comes out for it.

whats wrong with remote starting turning off when the door is opened. You dont want someone getting in your car and running off with it im sure. Not everyone can remote start safely in a garage.

Park to use the memory seats is a safety feature. Dont want a big person to accidentally hit the small person setting while driving or vice versa. That is incredibly unsafe for all your seat settings to be moving around while the car isnt in Park. Why cant you just lock it in the garage for the car to be in the right settings when you do drive it? Sounds like a reasonable workaround.
Old 02-06-15, 08:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
V Sport is actually 0-60 in 4.5. CTS are heavily overpriced hence why that ones been sitting around and the massive discount. GM has a very hard time moving them. The backseat in that car is lowsy when compared to other cars in the class, especially those humps that protrude from the seat bottoms that rob footspace. Theres a hump in the front passenger foot area that my left foot catches on and robs footspace again. My legs could not be in a relaxed position.
Wonder if this issue is similar to the 4th gen camaro where the passenger had no space because the transfer case was right there.
Old 02-06-15, 10:25 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
ATS-V = Twin Turbo V6 (3.6L) making 420hp

CTS VSport = Twin Turbo V6 (3.6L) making 420hp

CTS-V = Supercharged LT1 V8 (6.2L) making 640hp.

Don't confuse the Vs

OP got a CTS Vsport
Geez, no kidding. that's a pretty nice lineup of models.
Old 02-06-15, 10:42 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Bass Mech!! CTS V-Sport got all accolades possible. Motor Trend compared CTS V-Sport to GS F-Sport and you know well who the winner was on that comparison It is indeed a really really fun car with tons of power. I think if it was priced at around 50-60K, it would be hands down the best car for the money in its class. In any case this caddy was in my list as well when I shopping for a car about a year ago, I just could not justify 70K for that car. I did not know that you can get such a large discount though. I would have tried at least if I knew.

Look 3IS a good car but it is a not finished product. It does many things well but yes you are right in a sense that it just does not give you that feeling that makes you feel you are special or you are driving your dream car. There are just too many small little things that in accumulation just annoy crap out of you.

Otherwise Congratulations with awesome upgrades! No flames at all.
Old 02-06-15, 10:54 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah cool car upgrades. The only single gripe I had about the ATS I had for awhile was the CUE. That interface makes the Lexus interface look brilliant. There are no secondary buttons on the CUE. Everything has to be done on the touch screen which washes out in the sun. And then there are these weird metallic strips you are supposed to slide your fingers on that offer no tactile feedback and consequently no accuracy. Other than some slightly poor gaps/tolerances in the interior it was a cool car. Very fun to drive. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it for awhile. I agree I really can't see why my Lexus doesnt have memory seats. That's a bummer.

Mike
Old 02-06-15, 12:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your new rides. I love getting new cars, and life is too short to drive cars that cause you frustrations. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by dc1225
We all have our frustrations. I've been a loyal Acura customers(past 4 cars) making the switch to Lexus. I often wonder if I'm making a mistake.
I made the switch from Acura to Lexus as well, with no regrets.

Quick Reply: So long lexus!