IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So long lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 12:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't want to stray off topic with EPA ratings, but the mileage estimates are the outcomes of tests performed by the manufacturers (typically) to show fuel mileage data. The EPA sets the parameters of those tests, trying to ensure all cars are tested and rated on a level playing field. These tests are often criticized (rightly so, in my opinion) because they do not portray a driving style or conditions that many use or experience. The outcome is that the ratings often make the car appear more efficient than it is in every day use.

So the MPG estimates on the vehicle stickers show the outcome of the tests. As you can see from the various fuel consumption threads on Club Lexus, results vary widely. In my experience, it just depends. My IS tends to run at or just a tad below the estimate. My RX tends to hit it perfectly. My disparity here is probably caused by the personalities of the two cars resulting in how I drive them (I drive my IS WAY more aggressively than the RX, for obvious reasons).
Old 02-06-15, 12:28 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

whats wrong with remote starting turning off when the door is opened. You dont want someone getting in your car and running off with it im sure. Not everyone can remote start safely in a garage.

Park to use the memory seats is a safety feature. Dont want a big person to accidentally hit the small person setting while driving or vice versa. That is incredibly unsafe for all your seat settings to be moving around while the car isnt in Park. Why cant you just lock it in the garage for the car to be in the right settings when you do drive it? Sounds like a reasonable workaround.
1. the remote start in a locked car is not an issue in the least, also if you don't have the fob on you and try to take it out of park the engine quits,
to keep it running you just need to press the brake and the start button and it continues running.

2. seat memory on my GMC sierra and the caddy you have to press and HOLD the memory button for this reason. the seat moves and stops if you let go. so if the situation is as you describe, your seat only moves because your holding the button. simple solutions to a work around to give the functionality and without sacrificing safety. lexus just doesn't care to address the issue.
Old 02-06-15, 12:34 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dc1225
It seems to me that one of the problems here was you got the RWD in Colorado? Just wondering what was your thought process? I'm kinda in the same boat.
thought process was simple, my wife ha(d) a GS AWD f sport and my other vehicle was a 600 hp supercharged 4wd truck. while the truck is a blast to drive it is not my preference as a DD what I want is a sport lux car with some serious ***** to have fun in. my previous vehicle was the Z06 corvette, turned out to be not so good daily driver for a lot of practicality reasons.
I wanted a small and nimble car to have fun in and the 8 speed sounded like it would fit that bill.
I am now learning that anyone without a large CID engine or forced induction just doesn't cut it at 6500 feet ASL.
if I lived where there was AIR to make HP I may not have been so frustrated with the 350. it literally is the difference between a 250 and 350. meaning at 6500 feet my 350 performs like a 250 at sea level. major disappointment.
Old 02-06-15, 12:37 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't want to stray off topic with EPA ratings, but the mileage estimates are the outcomes of tests performed by the manufacturers (typically) to show fuel mileage data. The EPA sets the parameters of those tests, trying to ensure all cars are tested and rated on a level playing field. These tests are often criticized (rightly so, in my opinion) because they do not portray a driving style or conditions that many use or experience. The outcome is that the ratings often make the car appear more efficient than it is in every day use.

So the MPG estimates on the vehicle stickers show the outcome of the tests. As you can see from the various fuel consumption threads on Club Lexus, results vary widely. In my experience, it just depends. My IS tends to run at or just a tad below the estimate. My RX tends to hit it perfectly. My disparity here is probably caused by the personalities of the two cars resulting in how I drive them (I drive my IS WAY more aggressively than the RX, for obvious reasons).
FWIW I have found that every vehicle I have bought exceeds the advertised MPG highway for me. I pay 0 attention to city driving because every city is different and too many variables to accurately say the city MPG.
with that my GMC sierra is rated for 20 mpg and I regularly get 23
my IS 350 F got 31 most of the time on the highway.
the Cadillac is rated for 26 and I saw 29
my corvette Z06 I think was rated 26 and I regularly got 31
Old 02-06-15, 02:32 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
thought process was simple, my wife ha(d) a GS AWD f sport and my other vehicle was a 600 hp supercharged 4wd truck. while the truck is a blast to drive it is not my preference as a DD what I want is a sport lux car with some serious ***** to have fun in. my previous vehicle was the Z06 corvette, turned out to be not so good daily driver for a lot of practicality reasons.
I wanted a small and nimble car to have fun in and the 8 speed sounded like it would fit that bill.
I am now learning that anyone without a large CID engine or forced induction just doesn't cut it at 6500 feet ASL.
if I lived where there was AIR to make HP I may not have been so frustrated with the 350. it literally is the difference between a 250 and 350. meaning at 6500 feet my 350 performs like a 250 at sea level. major disappointment.
Bingo!!! I completely agree NA engines wouldnt cut it for me either if I lived out west. TFL car reviews (they suck but they test at alititude in Colorado) and I've never seen them pick an NA sports car over Forced Induction. To be honest im surprised a knowledgable car guy like you didn't see this day coming, surprised you ever considered NA engines. Now to address the way you are breaking up with Lexus I take it your Xs all have restraining orders against you?
Old 02-06-15, 11:53 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Bingo!!! I completely agree NA engines wouldnt cut it for me either if I lived out west. TFL car reviews (they suck but they test at alititude in Colorado) and I've never seen them pick an NA sports car over Forced Induction. To be honest im surprised a knowledgable car guy like you didn't see this day coming, surprised you ever considered NA engines. Now to address the way you are breaking up with Lexus I take it your Xs all have restraining orders against you?
LOL i don't have any ex's
man I'm just sharing my frustration. i knew what i was getting into because i had a 2007 IS 350 and honestly it felt faster.
so then i started thinking its the transmission because my wife GS awd has the 6 speed and it felt and sounded faster than my car.
but the new cadillac has the exact same transmission as my IS had and i can tell you there is an amazing difference with another 250 ft lbs of torque under my foot!
good god this caddy is FAST!!
whats really cool is when your not trying to be fast, just lay your big toe on the gas a little and the turbo spools about 5 psi and the gears click off about 1 each second and before you know it your at 60 mph totally effortlessly.
and the growl it makes makes my #$%^ hard every time i hear it. i know its fake (generated through the stereo) but is intoxicating to say the least.
i just got home and played with a couple subaru wrx and evo 8 ricers on the main street through town and its laughable how fast this car is. i swear it is almost as fast as my Z06 was and with the auto trans is an absolute dream to drive.
i have absolutely NO regrets trading in the IS my only regret is that i made a commitment for 27 months and i really wanted to see it through.
in the end they gave me 38,000 for my car and my payoff was 41500 but with the 18 grand they discounted this car, big whoopee ding! ding!
i tell you what BMW better be paying attention, this car is an M3 killer! and at a fraction of the money.
Old 02-07-15, 12:43 AM
Clipperfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, you got both cars for awesome prices, especially the CTS