IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering wheel vibrations at stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 12:11 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibrations at stop

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have started to experience your steering wheel vibrating while at a stop light/sign? My IS used to be very silent and smooth when I am at stop (while in gear). But now I am noticing vibrations while I am waiting at a red light. It's not from the music because I turned off the radio to see if my music was too loud. Does anyone know why this could happen?

I took it to two dealers and all their master technicians said they didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, and therefore won't check to see if there are any issues. I told that since I am the daily driver I notice subtle changes to my car, one day it was smooth then it started to shake.

Can anyone help me out with this? It's bothering me a lot because it's on and off.
Old 02-04-15, 12:31 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Never felt it on any Lexus vehicles I drove (a 2011 and 2015)

I HAVE felt it on the 1998 Honda Accord I drove a few years back... I always thought it was normal. Do you hear anything coming from the engine when the steering wheel vibrates? Or is it just absolute silence?
Old 02-04-15, 12:56 PM
jaron456
Driver School Candidate

Happens in 1993 es300 when it idles below 800Rpm. If your car is idling low just clean up the throttle body and that should do it...at least it did for my car.
Old 02-04-15, 02:47 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Never felt it on any Lexus vehicles I drove (a 2011 and 2015)

I HAVE felt it on the 1998 Honda Accord I drove a few years back... I always thought it was normal. Do you hear anything coming from the engine when the steering wheel vibrates? Or is it just absolute silence?
That's what I told the dealers... This shouldn't be normal. The engine sounds normal for the most part.

Originally Posted by jaron456
Happens in 1993 es300 when it idles below 800Rpm. If your car is idling low just clean up the throttle body and that should do it...at least it did for my car.
I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks!

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Old 02-07-15, 06:02 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

How many miles on your IS Oxytocin?
Old 02-07-15, 08:11 AM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is very smooth at idle
Old 02-07-15, 09:44 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Just a long shot there. Exhausts expand and contract and over time if you have put an aftermarket one on it could come to rest differently in its mounts and cause increased vibrations/harmonics.

Otherwise it could be a bad mount or bushing somewhere up front (motor, control arm, etc). If it's a bad motor mount you usually notice it more at idle. For suspension bushings you tend to get vibration at speed. It may feel alot like a tire that is out of balance. You can inspect each one thoroughly.

Mike
Old 02-09-15, 01:37 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

My car is at 19,000 miles, it started happening around 18,000. At first it was once in a while but now it's every time I stop. I'm getting my 20K service in a few weeks, dunno if the service with help much with vibrations since its only oil changes and such.

I have stock exhaust. I told Lexus that it's not normal but they keep telling me that it's fine since the check engine light hasn't come on, it's so frustrating.

Any other inputs anyone might have?
Old 02-09-15, 08:51 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im starting to have this issue as well, i've been traveling a lot in the past few weeks so not sure if thats the reason.

Drove my car for the first time in 4 weeks, and when i brake the steering wheel vibrates a little, maybe some nuts and bolts need a little re-tighting.
Old 02-10-15, 04:48 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ255t
im starting to have this issue as well, i've been traveling a lot in the past few weeks so not sure if thats the reason.

Drove my car for the first time in 4 weeks, and when i brake the steering wheel vibrates a little, maybe some nuts and bolts need a little re-tighting.
If you notice it during braking this is most likely different. That is most likely a little corrosion on the rotor (if it happens when you first start driving), some uneven pad deposits, or less likely a warped rotor.

Mike
Old 02-10-15, 07:11 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does that too. Although, the vibration is barely noticeable.
Old 02-10-15, 10:51 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
If you notice it during braking this is most likely different. That is most likely a little corrosion on the rotor (if it happens when you first start driving), some uneven pad deposits, or less likely a warped rotor.

Mike
i have new rotors and pads. i'll drive it around today and see if still does it.

but the vibration is only when im braking.
Old 02-10-15, 12:30 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by waleedj3is
My car does that too. Although, the vibration is barely noticeable.
My car was very light at the beginning too and it was only a couple times when I drove. Now it's every time I stop and the vibrations are more dramatic than before, but still not what Lexus considers a problem. I hope it doesn't get worse than this, but it seems my car has to be short of a demonic possession before they consider the shaking an issue...
Old 02-10-15, 03:40 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

This has happened to me a couple times, but only under very specific situations:

- Very cold temperatures and my car was still warming up.
- Heater turned on max power and HI

The car was unusually louder for about 30 seconds. But it cleared up shortly afterwards.
Old 02-12-15, 01:51 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by byro
This has happened to me a couple times, but only under very specific situations:

- Very cold temperatures and my car was still warming up.
- Heater turned on max power and HI

The car was unusually louder for about 30 seconds. But it cleared up shortly afterwards.
Same here.

There are numerous threads discussing similar vibrations at a stop.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibrations at stop