IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Love / Hate Relationship with my IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 08:00 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love / Hate Relationship with my IS

I had a rental car the other day and noticed just how many options our F-sports lack.
Folding Mirrors, Wiper Warmers, (2014) Heated seats that work, Cooled Seats.
Nav system that doesn't have a lag.

I love driving my car, the seats are great and gauge cluster is awesome. Can't beat the styling of the car, but when it comes to options , I am very much disappointed.
Old 02-04-15, 08:05 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Folding Mirrors - You have hands...

Wiper Warmers - Legit

Heated/Cooled Seats - works in the 2015

Nav that doesn't Lag - works in the 2015
Old 02-04-15, 08:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

These are some of the reasons I made the somewhat tough decision to pass on the F Sport and go with the standard model. I use either the seat heaters (effective in the non F Sport) or the seat ventilation every day.

I love driving my car, and love the styling. I strongly feel it is the best looking car in the category (and beyond). However, nav/radio issues frustrate me on a near daily basis.

My wife and I had our second child last month and now I'm wishing for a bit more rear seat space. GS next, I think...
Old 02-04-15, 08:36 AM
FPerform
Driver

Tis the issues with a refreshed/new model of a car. I expected quirks which have largely been ironed out with the 2015 models.

My issues are relatively minor:
-Memory seats not standard, can find them standard on most cars in the segment
-No brake hold function
-LED foglights, added for 2015
-Dynamic guidelines for backup camera, added for 2015
Old 02-04-15, 09:33 AM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting observations.Yes there are some short comings with the car,but the other factors more then make up for them.The number 1 plus of this car that sets it apart from my previous-a 09 BMW 535ix is the reliability issue! I was very active on the 5series forum and every day there were dozens of complaints from owners that had real expensive issues with their cars. I have noticed that on this forum, the majority of complaints( and there are not many) are about minor issues that most of us knew when we bought the cars. We are very lucky with the 3rd Generation F sport
Old 02-04-15, 09:35 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Folding Mirrors: Meh I think they're useless to me

Wiper Warmers & Heated/Cooled Seats: Good thing I don't have to worry about that in San Diego huh?

Nav: My 2014 doesn't lag except sometimes there's flashes of blue, quick like a blink, on the whole screen. Probably once every two times I drive.
Old 02-04-15, 11:02 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Folding mirrors: I've never had them, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Wiper warmers: not needed for me, but I can see where it would suck in snow.

Memory seats: I agree - although since I'm the only one that drives it, it doesn't matter for me. But, I do wish we had the easy entry/exit where the seat automatically goes back like my last car.

Infotainment: I don't know if my Nav doesn't lag or I don't notice it, but, I'm glad it's not like my husband's 2014 truck. After making a selection and waiting for a response, I always hit the button again because I'm thinking I didn't hit the first time - Jeez Louise that thing is slow. That would drive me crazy & I'm thankful every time I get back in my car.
Old 02-04-15, 11:17 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
Wait, so you're saying the standard base has more options than the f sport? I thought f sport had everything standard had and then some?
Standard should be available to both. I'm thinking they meant that it's the luxury package vs F sport package?
Old 02-04-15, 11:26 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The real crime is the lack of options within the F-sport: memory seats, auto tilt and telescopic steering wheel, and, to a lesser extent, fog lights.

edit: i might be wrong about the auto tilt and telescopic steering wheel
edit2: also, lack of HUD as an option, BMW already has HUD as an option across the board, but Lexus only has it in their GS'

Last edited by anthonys2r; 02-04-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 11:27 AM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

As much as my heated seats suck, I think my main frustration is the iPhone/iPod connection. I took a bottom of the barrel Chevy Sonic rental recently and that thing worked flawlessly with my phone. Never had to turn off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, re-load playlists, etc. Connection never randomly dropped in the middle of my commute. Why Lexus has not put forth great efforts to resolve these concerns is beyond me. It is a **** poor issue that should not have dragged on for over a year.
Old 02-04-15, 11:29 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Memory seat is available on non fsport right? Albeit as upgrade?
yep, on the tech package
Old 02-04-15, 11:47 AM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
As much as my heated seats suck, I think my main frustration is the iPhone/iPod connection. I took a bottom of the barrel Chevy Sonic rental recently and that thing worked flawlessly with my phone. Never had to turn off Wifi, on/off Bluetooth, re-load playlists, etc. Connection never randomly dropped in the middle of my commute. Why Lexus has not put forth great efforts to resolve these concerns is beyond me. It is a **** poor issue that should not have dragged on for over a year.
Are you using Bluetooth?
It works flawlessly with my Android & my wife's iPhone 5c.
Old 02-04-15, 12:15 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait, so you're saying the standard base has more options than the f sport? I thought f sport had everything standard had and then some?
Nope. And this makes NO sense. It's just not possible to get a fully loaded IS. Some options are only available on the non-F Sport and vise versa.

For instance, there's no way to get memory seats AND adaptable suspension. Memory seats are only available on the standard IS, while adaptable suspension is only available on the F-Sport.
Old 02-04-15, 01:09 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

F sport model also requires you to get the silver carbon trim. It sounds good, but it's really just a fake covering that can be peeled off.

The silver carbon trim with the upgraded f sport, is actually the largest downgrade, in terms of pricing if you were to buy it directly.

Silver performance cf - $350
Piano black - $450
Dark brown wood - $2800
Bamboo wood - $3300
Dark gray wood - $2800

No memory seats is real unfortunate, do not have any nav lag in my 2014 either.
Old 02-04-15, 01:22 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I do wish that my car had auto folding mirrors. I don't have any problems with my heated/cooled seats though. I think they warm up real nice and also cool nicely. The only issue I've seen is my electronics freezing. So the nav, audio, buttons on the console and steering wheel, etc. I have to reboot the system to get them working again.

Quick Reply: Love / Hate Relationship with my IS