IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying an F sport exhaust

Old 01-30-15, 11:48 PM
atomiclex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying an F sport exhaust

Does anybody know if the dealer will buy the stick exhaust from you or use its value towards buying the f sport exhaust? Just got curious and wonder if anybody got that lucky.
Old 01-30-15, 11:56 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

that will never happen.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (09-21-20)
Old 01-30-15, 11:59 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atomiclex
Does anybody know if the dealer will buy the stick exhaust from you or use its value towards buying the f sport exhaust? Just got curious and wonder if anybody got that lucky.
My car was practically new when I brought my f sport exhaust to dealer to install. Not only did I not get any credit for a stock exhaust - I did not get it back at all. I completely forgot about it. When I called them in three days after installation, they said sorry it already got scrapped, whatever that means. Sorry, could not give you the answer to your original question. But I guess it depends how you can negation before the installation. In case you don't get any credit just don't assume that they will put your stock exhaust into your trunk. I learned my lesson.
Old 01-31-15, 12:18 AM
atomiclex
Driver

Yeah i kinda figured that would be the answer but you never know.
Old 01-31-15, 04:37 AM
Rockstr512
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed mine 2 days ago. They will offer it back to you or dispose of it but no they will not trade it for cash value. Sucks!
Old 01-31-15, 06:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

buy a joe z axle back, its half the price
Old 09-21-20, 10:43 AM
fullstack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remember to ask for your old exhaust back

So if you go in and get the F sport exhaust installed at A lexus dealership make sure they give you your original exhaust back because there are a lot of people online looking to revert their custom exhaust back to stock exhaust for resale purposes, so you can always sell the oem exhaust. As you mentioned your car is new so your original stock exhaust won’t have much mileage on it.

also I know it’s expensive to get the F sport exhaust from Lexus but as another post member mentioned it is OEM so if you ever wanted to trade your car in you don’t have to revert back to the original exhaust or struggle looking for oem exhaust it’ll already have an upgraded Lexus OEM part number as your exhaust so it won’t decrease the value of your vehicle as opposed to getting another aftermarket brand like magna flow or ark etc. this is the only reason i’d choose to put the F sport axle back rather than another brand axle back, for resale value or trade-in value
Old 09-21-20, 12:17 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't know why anyone would want the F sport exhaust when there's barely a sound difference from stock
Old 09-21-20, 04:50 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I don't know why anyone would want the F sport exhaust when there's barely a sound difference from stock
Why does a free’er flowing exhaust have to sound loud? I wouldn’t trade mine for anything
Old 09-21-20, 06:57 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Why does a free’er flowing exhaust have to sound loud? I wouldn’t trade mine for anything
Well, there aren't any exhausts currently adding any significant performance increase to our cars so what other reason would you do it for? Mainly for the sound at that point. How do you know that's even true? Do you have the specs of the exhaust compared to the stock? IMO, F sport springs / exhaust are an absolute waste of money and barely bring any kind of noticeable benefit to our cars.
Old 09-21-20, 07:28 PM
athanato
Intermediate

failed quote, delete.
Old 09-21-20, 07:29 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salvadorik
My car was practically new when I brought my f sport exhaust to dealer to install. Not only did I not get any credit for a stock exhaust - I did not get it back at all. I completely forgot about it. When I called them in three days after installation, they said sorry it already got scrapped, whatever that means. Sorry, could not give you the answer to your original question. But I guess it depends how you can negation before the installation. In case you don't get any credit just don't assume that they will put your stock exhaust into your trunk. I learned my lesson.
I'm sure someone took it home for eBay
The following users liked this post:
swaangin (09-22-20)
Old 07-24-22, 04:53 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts

it sounds much better without sounding loud..
Not sure why people think that louder = better sounding. I have heard fart-can ear ripping sounding hondas and mustangs and I also heard a mazerati stock exhausts sounding beautiful but subdued. I always prefer the latter. Quality over quantity is my motto.
Old 07-24-22, 02:29 PM
swaangin
Racer

Originally Posted by sunamer
it sounds much better without sounding loud..
Not sure why people think that louder = better sounding. I have heard fart-can ear ripping sounding hondas and mustangs and I also heard a mazerati stock exhausts sounding beautiful but subdued. I always prefer the latter. Quality over quantity is my motto.
I'm not equating a 'loud' exhaust with better sounding. What I am saying is, there is no difference in sound between stock and the F sport exhaust.

You're right, some stock BMW, Porsches, and other higher end brands stock exhaust sound amazing from factory. Lexus do not because they appease to the more 'comfort' market. That being said, their F sport exhaust is also too conservative for my taste. If I'm going to pay $1000, I want it noticeable or just go with another exhaust at the same price rate.
Old 07-24-22, 04:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,477 Likes on 1,792 Posts

I'm not equating a 'loud' exhaust with better sounding. What I am saying is, there is no difference in sound between stock and the F sport exhaust.

You're right, some stock BMW, Porsches, and other higher end brands stock exhaust sound amazing from factory. Lexus do not because they appease to the more 'comfort' market. That being said, their F sport exhaust is also too conservative for my taste. If I'm going to pay $1000, I want it noticeable or just go with another exhaust at the same price rate.
The stock exhaust on my IS 350 is almost silent. All I hear outside the car is noise from the Intake Sound Generator - so basically intake noise. I like intake sound, but there is basically no exhaust sound to go with it unless you change the exhaust.

Here's a good demonstration. While I would agree if you said it's not a huge difference to stock, there is definitely more sound in the exhaust. Just the startup alone shows that.

Another takeaway for me is the exhaust size/weight. This video does a nice job showing just how much smaller the mufflers are on the F Sport exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Racer00J (09-11-22), swaangin (07-24-22)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying an F sport exhaust