IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

4 Months Into 2015 350IS - Several Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 11:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I got my '15 IS350 back in September and I can agree with you on the squeak.

My dealership re-surfaced the rotors 3-4 weeks ago and the squeak is coming back again

Another dealer tech told me that it was normal because of the brakes and pads, not sure I like that response
Your dealership re-surfaced your rotors because of squeaking? My assumption is they know very little and just did something to send you back out the door.

My first thought is its the pad. Performance brake pads will glaze over as the coatings wear off them around 2-4k miles. Then it will disappear. Even my camaro did this for a couple hundred miles when i was at that mileage range.

Another option is since its winter, you are getting salt particulate on the rotor and you are hearing it drag on the rotor when you push on the brake.

Either way, your rotors should have never been ground down unless you felt a wave in the rotor during the squeaking...
Old 01-29-15, 11:44 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I had a problem with the gas tank not fully closing as well. After messing around with it for few minutes I was able to close it. I still have no idea what caused it.
Old 01-29-15, 02:35 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
Your dealership re-surfaced your rotors because of squeaking? My assumption is they know very little and just did something to send you back out the door.

My first thought is its the pad. Performance brake pads will glaze over as the coatings wear off them around 2-4k miles. Then it will disappear. Even my camaro did this for a couple hundred miles when i was at that mileage range.

Another option is since its winter, you are getting salt particulate on the rotor and you are hearing it drag on the rotor when you push on the brake.

Either way, your rotors should have never been ground down unless you felt a wave in the rotor during the squeaking...
I'm at 9500 miles and live in CA meaning no winter salt worries and my brakes still squeak.
Old 01-30-15, 11:17 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine for a little over 1 month. No issues so far. Reading this thread makes me nervous, especially the squeaky brakes..
Old 01-31-15, 06:46 AM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Not sure how many of you guys are on aftermarket suspension, but I think mine might be causing the rattle. Went to my shop a couple evenings ago, and my guy told me it was most likely the pillow ball mounts on my coilovers. It was the rear passenger that was rattling, as I suspected. We tried tightening the 17mm nuts on top, but still rattling. I know this is a very widely known issue with coilovers, no matter the brand and vehicle, and some folks have a real tough time completely solving the problem. Have also read that colder weather can play a big role. Going back on Monday to spend more time on it. May take apart the coilover assembly, check for loose perches, grease the bearings, etc. My rattle seems to have gotten worse and louder over the last couple weeks. However, the silver lining is that my shop insists nothing is blown. So its just a matter of tightening up the right bits. Really hoping we can find a bulletproof solution on Monday afternoon.
Old 01-31-15, 07:09 AM
HouTx
Driver School Candidate

I have rattles/ticking sound (like plastics hitting each other) from the passenger, middle, and driver side dash. I've taken the car to the dealer twice. First time they insulated the center console but the plastic noises returned eventually. The second time the dash noises did not come out whilst driving with the technician (of course) so they couldn't do anything.

I also have the high pitched whistling sound from the middle AC vents when the fan setting is 3 bars and above which I just noticed recently hence haven't brought up.

Im wondering if these sounds are all related and are from something malfunctioning from the AC vents.

And also, there's a rattling noise from the front passenger door. The rattles are heard altogether on bumpy roads, like a soft-sounding symphony.

I have a brand new 2015 IS 350, currently with 975 miles.

Last edited by HouTx; 01-31-15 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more description
Old 03-01-15, 01:45 AM
Lex2103
Driver School Candidate

Just got a brand new is250 f sport to replace the one I got 2 months ago, why? I had rattles coming from center console after 2 weeks of driving it, took it in to service, fixed the issue. A week later, 2 other rattle/buzzing sounds started coming from the glove compartment and AC vent on driver side. Was gonna wait until my 5000 miles service to fix the new rattles, but the rattle from center console came back and I couldn't wait anymore. Brought the car to service again and while test driving my car after fixing the rattles, they discovered a 4th rattle coming from the stereo system area. Asked to speak to the head of customer service and asked me what do I wanted to do, mentioned the lemon law and how I didn't want my car back. GM of dealership called next day and asked when I want to come in and get a different is250. I had a 2009 is250 and never heard any of the sounds I've heard on the 2015.
Old 03-01-15, 02:03 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2103
Just got a brand new is250 f sport to replace the one I got 2 months ago, why? I had rattles coming from center console after 2 weeks of driving it, took it in to service, fixed the issue. A week later, 2 other rattle/buzzing sounds started coming from the glove compartment and AC vent on driver side. Was gonna wait until my 5000 miles service to fix the new rattles, but the rattle from center console came back and I couldn't wait anymore. Brought the car to service again and while test driving my car after fixing the rattles, they discovered a 4th rattle coming from the stereo system area. Asked to speak to the head of customer service and asked me what do I wanted to do, mentioned the lemon law and how I didn't want my car back. GM of dealership called next day and asked when I want to come in and get a different is250. I had a 2009 is250 and never heard any of the sounds I've heard on the 2015.
Lemon laws covers rattles??? I find that hard to believe.
Old 03-01-15, 03:21 PM
Lex2103
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dizlex
Lemon laws covers rattles??? I find that hard to believe.
All I know is I got a different new 2015 is250 and they kept the one with all the rattles. My payments stayed the same and they will send me a check for the 1 payment that I made on car with rattles.

Last edited by Lex2103; 03-01-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 08:18 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jagstyles

2. Bluetooth Radio

- there are times where my phone connects to the radio, plays music off my iPhone but then it sounds like the singer is slowly dying i.e.: the type of sound you used to hear when a walkman's batteries would be dying and needed changing. Happens sporadically

Thanks
So I'm not crazy after all!!! I hear pitch changes all the time and thought I must be tripping. I've used two phones since I've had the car - an LG G3 and an iPhone 6. Pandora via the Lexus Enform App seems to be the worst offender. When I stream Spotify (not using Lexus app) I don't notice the pitch changes as much, if at all.

It's subtle. My girlfriend says she doesn't notice it. Maybe she is tone deaf. Haha!
Old 03-02-15, 08:41 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2103
All I know is I got a different new 2015 is250 and they kept the one with all the rattles. My payments stayed the same and they will send me a check for the 1 payment that I made on car with rattles.
Had a rattle in the seat in 2014 when car 1st came out. Replaced seat and sent a check for one payment. Lexus corp. To be fair -- I complained.
Old 03-04-15, 11:28 AM
rashley
Driver School Candidate

My 2014 ES350 has rattled in the dash and steering column from the first week. Kendall Lexus had it for five days and I still have rattles. They dealer does not respond to my request to solve this problem, I have had Lexus before and never experienced any problems. This car is just a bad build.
Old 05-10-15, 08:52 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

This definitely remains an issue for me. Interestingly, my daughter noticed it today asking me why the volume seems to fluctuate from one speaker to the next. So many little things are starting to bother me about this car.

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
So I'm not crazy after all!!! I hear pitch changes all the time and thought I must be tripping. I've used two phones since I've had the car - an LG G3 and an iPhone 6. Pandora via the Lexus Enform App seems to be the worst offender. When I stream Spotify (not using Lexus app) I don't notice the pitch changes as much, if at all.

It's subtle. My girlfriend says she doesn't notice it. Maybe she is tone deaf. Haha!
Old 05-11-15, 12:26 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
This definitely remains an issue for me. Interestingly, my daughter noticed it today asking me why the volume seems to fluctuate from one speaker to the next. So many little things are starting to bother me about this car.
My GF swears she can't hear it. Perhaps she is tone deaf. I don't have the fluctuating volume issue, but I definitely notice the variable tone issue. Sometimes (appears to be at random), the songs just go flat. Exactly like you describe - a tape player with low batteries. I only notice it when using bluetooth or the cars built-in apps. I've had two phones with this car (Android and Apple) and the issue is the same with both.

Lucky for me, I don't have any of the other issues you do. My main gripe is the lack of torque. This engine is great at high RPMs. But the reality is, I spend most of my time in the 2-4k RPM range. At this range, the car is gutless compared to my previous 335i and RS4, both of which had ample torque at any RPM. The 335i's torque was due to turbo charging. The RS4, with it's monster V8 was a completely different animal. As the IS350 is a naturally aspirated V6, I guess it's apples to oranges. That said, I do kinda wish I had went with a new S4. I know they aren't reliable, but as a leased vehicle, it would be under warranty for the duration of my ownership.
Old 05-11-15, 01:25 PM
redcupr
Driver

Regarding brake squeal, I get that first thing in the morning on the first application of the brakes. I've found that flushing the brakes with water when washing the car will clean out the brake dust and eliminate the squeal. (Spray a good stream of water at the top of the caliper where the pads hit the rotor).

Unless I don't wash the car for several weeks (like in the Winter), the squeal doesn't reappear. I have this same issue on our VW Touareg, flushing the brakes with water resolves it.

Quick Reply: 4 Months Into 2015 350IS - Several Issues