IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Back up camera question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 06:50 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera question

Has anyone relied on the backup camera and the colored lines and actually hit something backing up as a result of what the lines told you. I have never had a backup camera in any car and I just can't convince myself to rely on it. But I am sure it is 100% accurate. Just makes me nervous to stare at it and sometimes neglect your periphery.
Old 01-27-15, 07:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Always rely on your eyes and senses; the camera is just a driver's aid.
Old 01-27-15, 08:26 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was leery of it also in the beginning also but now I rely on it a lot now and feel very comfortable with it now. The lines are very accurate and the one of the lines closer to the bumper leaves you around 18 " of room to the back. The camera is something I would always want to have now

Originally Posted by ddvette9
Has anyone relied on the backup camera and the colored lines and actually hit something backing up as a result of what the lines told you. I have never had a backup camera in any car and I just can't convince myself to rely on it. But I am sure it is 100% accurate. Just makes me nervous to stare at it and sometimes neglect your periphery.
Old 01-27-15, 08:32 AM
lslex09
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't very sure of the backup camera when I first got the car, but now I love it an use it all the time. It is perfect for parallel parking in the city!
Old 01-27-15, 08:40 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It's very accurate, you can test it yourself. Put some object as close to red line as possible get out of the car and see where it is with your own eyes. I also have front camera to prevent bumper scratch I can get as close as 1 inch, it doesn't even have reference lines.
Old 01-27-15, 09:15 AM
byro
Driver School Candidate

You should only be using the camera for two reasons:

1. Seeing if something is directly in front of your back bumper before you start reversing.
2. To get close to the car behind you but not hit them.

Don't rely on the camera for anything else. Use your own driving skills to reverse and look for traffic and angles.

The addition of back up cameras on cars has been a god send. However, it's promoted a lot of terrible driving habits and poor drivers on the road that no longer use common sense or exercise proper caution when reversing.
Old 01-27-15, 09:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by byro
You should only be using the camera for two reasons:

1. Seeing if something is directly in front of your back bumper before you start reversing.
2. To get close to the car behind you but not hit them.

Don't rely on the camera for anything else. Use your own driving skills to reverse and look for traffic and angles.

The addition of back up cameras on cars has been a god send. However, it's promoted a lot of terrible driving habits and poor drivers on the road that no longer use common sense or exercise proper caution when reversing.
I also use the backup camera lines for lining up with the parking lines in a spot while backing into it, which is a perfectly acceptable use for the camera. You just need to use it as a supplemental tool to good driving habits.
Old 01-27-15, 09:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the first blue line is 36" and the red line is 18"
Old 01-28-15, 04:57 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you also see your bumper so that should be another guide for you
Old 01-28-15, 07:52 AM
rgonza1
Driver

I rely on the backup camera as an additional aide when parking my vehicle in a tight spots. It's always been very accurate and never had an issue hitting anything. I also had a backup camera on my 2009 Nissan Maxima SV and I never had issues with that car either.
Old 01-28-15, 09:29 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
It's very accurate, you can test it yourself. Put some object as close to red line as possible get out of the car and see where it is with your own eyes. I also have front camera to prevent bumper scratch I can get as close as 1 inch, it doesn't even have reference lines.
Where did you get a front camera for the car? I am curious and would like to have one. is it something that comes with a package from the factory?
Old 01-28-15, 11:08 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by nabizzy
Where did you get a front camera for the car? I am curious and would like to have one. is it something that comes with a package from the factory?
No. I installed it myself. There are some DIY in the forum. Basically I wired a camera from grill area to center console using A/V input. You do need to install video in motion device in order to see video feed in A/V.
Old 01-28-15, 07:01 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
No. I installed it myself. There are some DIY in the forum. Basically I wired a camera from grill area to center console using A/V input. You do need to install video in motion device in order to see video feed in A/V.
Sounds like a nice mod!

Yeah, I almost relied on the back up camera and came pretty close hitting something!!
Old 01-28-15, 08:12 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah backup camera is awesome. I drove my truck that doesnt have it and i had a rough time parking. I dont think i could ever be without it or the blind spot monitoring.
Old 01-29-15, 10:10 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The backup camera and the cross-traffic alert are amazing on this car. Although I still find myself taking a look with my eyes before backing up (just to be safe).

Quick Reply: Back up camera question