IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

can't believe i messed up a car wash

Old 01-21-15, 08:31 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default can't believe i messed up a car wash

I finished hand washing and drying my car yesterday. It was the third wash my car has received. What did i find the next day? Scratches on the hood

I was so careful. I used the two bucket method, the right cleaning tools and microfiber cloths for drying.. I don't know what I did wrong but I guess I gotta get them buffed out. So upset with myself.

Anyone ever had a similar experience?
Old 01-21-15, 09:24 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe the scratches were already there before the wash
Old 01-22-15, 12:36 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you wear a watch or something?
Old 01-22-15, 12:46 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
maybe the scratches were already there before the wash
My thinking. Or did you drop the sponge?
Old 01-22-15, 03:39 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try wiping the hood with some quick detailer.
It might just be that the scratches are just in the wax layer and comes from the microfiber.
Especially if the car is black, this will show.

Try using a different wax and softer MF towels.
Old 01-22-15, 04:18 AM
gn87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its amazing how scratches happen when we are so careful. I have several cars that I can care less about and they are always perfect and never have blemishes. I find the cars that we park far away and take extra steps to make sure that they are protected seems to always get the door dings and or blemishes. Go figure.
Old 01-22-15, 04:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How deep of scratches are you talking about? Hairline in the clear coat? Down into the paint?
Old 01-22-15, 04:46 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
How deep of scratches are you talking about? Hairline in the clear coat? Down into the paint?
It's not really deep at all. Just some thin ones that can be buffed out easily

Car is ultra white lol. No I didn't drop the sponge.
Old 01-22-15, 05:05 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
It's not really deep at all. Just some thin ones that can be buffed out easily Car is ultra white lol. No I didn't drop the sponge.
Clear coat in generally is prone to marring. But with a good car coating, wash-induced marring can be minimized. Either try to learn how to do machine polishing or find a detailer who can do a proper car coating for you.

Car coating examples - CarPro Cquartz series, Optimum Opticoat series, Gtechniq stuff, Polish Angel Cosmic.
Old 01-22-15, 05:11 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
It's not really deep at all. Just some thin ones that can be buffed out easily

Car is ultra white lol. No I didn't drop the sponge.
Do not buff if its not necessary. Thats how you wear down a clear coat. Start with a mild polish and do it by hand. It will take some time and wear your arm out, but the amount of clear coat removed will be MUCH less than using a buffer.

Don't feel bad either. I take the utmost care of my Camaro, and every time I wash that poor thing, I spend 3 hrs washing, and another 1hr polishing to get her to pristine condition.

No matter what you do, a sponge...a microfiber cloth...anything with just 1 piece of small dirt will scratch your car. You just have to hope not too badly so you can fix it.
Old 01-22-15, 09:21 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to clarify, when you're doing the two bucket wash, you are using the grit guards right? if not, then the two bucket wash method would be pointless.

one thing i've worked into my washing process is to have two mf sponges. i use one sponge to wash the hood, roof, trunk front bumper, windows, and upper half of the body (doors). Once i'm done, i'll poor out the nasty water and soap and refill with new in both buckets and use a second dedicated mf sponge for the lower half (dirtier half) of the car and rear bumper. if i can't find my second sponge, i'll clean the first one fairly well and reuse for the second half. this makes sure your dirtiest parts are cleaned last so you don't introduce them to other areas midway through the wash.
Old 01-22-15, 10:08 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Do not buff if its not necessary. Thats how you wear down a clear coat. Start with a mild polish and do it by hand. It will take some time and wear your arm out, but the amount of clear coat removed will be MUCH less than using a buffer. Don't feel bad either. I take the utmost care of my Camaro, and every time I wash that poor thing, I spend 3 hrs washing, and another 1hr polishing to get her to pristine condition. No matter what you do, a sponge...a microfiber cloth...anything with just 1 piece of small dirt will scratch your car. You just have to hope not too badly so you can fix it.
Totally agreed.

Even with buffer, start with the least aggressive polish as clear coat is precious. It is just thinner than a Post Note (quote from Mike from Autogeek)

Glad to see another member here who spend 2-3 hrs for the car wash. I am not alone. LOL
Old 01-22-15, 10:09 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
just to clarify, when you're doing the two bucket wash, you are using the grit guards right? if not, then the two bucket wash method would be pointless. one thing i've worked into my washing process is to have two mf sponges. i use one sponge to wash the hood, roof, trunk front bumper, windows, and upper half of the body (doors). Once i'm done, i'll poor out the nasty water and soap and refill with new in both buckets and use a second dedicated mf sponge for the lower half (dirtier half) of the car and rear bumper. if i can't find my second sponge, i'll clean the first one fairly well and reuse for the second half. this makes sure your dirtiest parts are cleaned last so you don't introduce them to other areas midway through the wash.
I find grit guard indispensable. I am using one bucket with grit guard and things work okay. Of course the washing regime and how to treat sponges and MF towels is crucial
Old 01-22-15, 01:32 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm did you happen to drop the soap instead?
Old 01-22-15, 01:40 PM
Mushi31
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, my obsidian IS is a pain. i did all the things necessary and after 20 washes i began to see swirl marks.... im running on my next few washes and now i don't really care... going to have someone detail it when i get a break from work and i'll kissing it some more then. I took care of my baby so much and then someone hits the car.... dealt with insurance.... then someone nudge me from the back and some scratches that i believe were made from shopping carts.... sigh.... i want to install cameras all around my car but that cant happen.... lols

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't believe i messed up a car wash