IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will drilling holes in the stock air box create better sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 10:54 AM
azfsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
Probably too difficult for you to understand since your impression of drilling holes is on top of the air box.
I said performance wise, the result is similar as putting a short ram intake.
If a short ram intake improves performance, so does drilling holes in the stock air box.
What the heck is a "short ram" intake?
Old 01-21-15, 12:25 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably too difficult for you to understand since your impression of drilling holes is on top of the air box.
I said performance wise, the result is similar as putting a short ram intake.
If a short ram intake improves performance, so does drilling holes in the stock air box.
I agree about the same results, just not that there will be any improvements. There is no evidence a SRI or drilling holes in the bottom box will improve performance. You are just sucking in hotter air than the factory cold air intake. Although at least if you are drilling holes in the bottom of the box you are not changing the factory resonance pulses (like you would be doing with a short ram intake) that would likely require retuning. So its probably less of an evil really.

That being said the original poster seems to only care about making a cool intake noise so yeah, drill the holes and youll get more woooh. Is it ricer? Sure it is IMO, but 90% of this forum is ricer crap airrex, super low, 20" vossen, look at my new lip, do you like this spoiler crap. To each his own.

Mike

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 01-21-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 03:03 PM
Loe
Pole Position

have not read about this on the IS, but have read of others modifying a stock airbox similar to this. I have not done this. However, if your primary goal is extra noise, drilling holes will create this.
Old 01-21-15, 05:31 PM
a790
Driver

So you bought a $30,000+ car and won't spend $250 on a decent intake for it?

Old 01-21-15, 11:51 PM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by azfsport
What the heck is a "short ram" intake?
Goo-the-****-gle it.
Old 01-21-15, 11:57 PM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I agree about the same results, just not that there will be any improvements. There is no evidence a SRI or drilling holes in the bottom box will improve performance. You are just sucking in hotter air than the factory cold air intake. Although at least if you are drilling holes in the bottom of the box you are not changing the factory resonance pulses (like you would be doing with a short ram intake) that would likely require retuning. So its probably less of an evil really.

That being said the original poster seems to only care about making a cool intake noise so yeah, drill the holes and youll get more woooh. Is it ricer? Sure it is IMO, but 90% of this forum is ricer crap airrex, super low, 20" vossen, look at my new lip, do you like this spoiler crap. To each his own.

Mike

Mike
You the only one that actually read what I said.
I said "Similar effect"
If a short ram intake does gain performance, so will drilling holes in the air box.
if a short ram intake doesn't do carp, so does drilling holes in the air box.
This board is filled with amateurs.
Old 01-22-15, 12:07 AM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
First off...its a ricer idea to just drill holes in things in the HOPES of making it better. If you want to do it, get the right parts.

Second, you are drilling holes in the air box, which gets soaked during a rain storm, so now you are sucking water up into the intake and getting water in your filter.

Finally, whats sadder is that you think drilling a small hole in the intake box is going to do ANYTHING. Lets think about something, If you increase the inlet, but the tube to the throttle body remains the same...where are you getting additional flow? If your stock exhaust is the same, and you obviously can't tune, where is this "extra" air going? NO where, you are just sucking thru the hole and less thru the normal flow path. Flow in = Flow out...sorry...thats a fact no matter how many holes you "drill"

This is doing nothing for you, other than being silly.

Ugh...smh
Firstly, the idea is the same!! Which part of it you don't understand!?

Secondly, it won't suck up any more water than a short ram intake nor the cold air intake you have!

Thirdly, can you prove flow out is already max out on the flow in?

Forthly, Can't you read!?!? You having sighting problems??
I said the effect is similar to short ram intake.
Did I said short ram intake will gain anything?
Get the point right!
Old 01-22-15, 04:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Firstly, the idea is the same!! Which part of it you don't understand!?

Secondly, it won't suck up any more water than a short ram intake nor the cold air intake you have!

Thirdly, can you prove flow out is already max out on the flow in?

Forthly, Can't you read!?!? You having sighting problems??
I said the effect is similar to short ram intake.
Did I said short ram intake will gain anything?
Get the point right!
I had a long post typed here...but I'm just going to give up. The level of "know it all" without anything to back it up is stunning. I'm gonna let the ignorance grow.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-22-15 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 04:47 AM
azfsport
Driver School Candidate

Goo-the-****-gle it.
Ah, yes now I see. Since I have never been part of the ricer world I've never heard it called that.

So now that Google has educated me on the ricer term for sucking hot air into your engine, how is that the same thing as drilling holes in your stock air box? Neither one is going to do anything positive performance wise (which you mostly acknowledged) but one shortens the intake piping and moves the filter closer to the throttle body while the other consist of holes in the air box. Not really seeing how these are comparable.
Old 01-22-15, 12:16 PM
Sonik
Driver School Candidate

The guy just wanted to know if it would alter the noise, and then some of you asshats proceeded to get your panties twisted.

The term "Ricing" get's tossed around so loosely lately that half the dip ****s using it aren't sure where "rice" begins or ends, they just know it exists and therefore its a word I can use. Rice burners used to refer to modded Jap cars (Japanese rice - yea, it's racist as *****), then cars that we're OVERLY modified way past performance and cosmetic norms, and now a days pretty much covers any mod that does nothing for performance. Which when you stop to think about it, that's the large majority of IS owners mods. More over, you could argue our car comes with factory "rice" with that noise funneling crap that gives us some sweet melody during our drive.

Furthermore,most intakes don't do crap anyways and the ones that do are relatively negligible on their own- I don't care if its JoeZ or Joe Madden. Modding for the sake of modding does exist kids. People like to tinker and make their own. If the dude wants to drill a hole in his hood, who gives a rats *** - its his hood, not your car. If you want to spend your time writing "Rice IMO", then go to the builds section and you can fill your year with plenty of people with wheels, suspension, and exhaust all of which do close to nothing to their car relative to stock.

And to the turd burgler asking for "Proof" of the gains... I'm gonna go dyno my car before and after I drill holes in the box, and then wipe my *** with results and send them to you. Know why? Cause who cares. ITS HOLES IN AN INTAKE BOX.

OP, I had not heard about this or seen an F-sport intake prior, so thanks for bringing up the topic. I've got a K&N drop in already and I'm gonna try this out this weekend. If you've got links to info on steps or details on a good spot for the hole or a good diameter, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 01-22-15, 05:29 PM
azfsport
Driver School Candidate

LOL @ Sonik. Well said sir. Good way to end a thread turned stupid.
Old 01-23-15, 12:48 AM
forum429
Driver

Originally Posted by azfsport
Ah, yes now I see. Since I have never been part of the ricer world I've never heard it called that.

So now that Google has educated me on the ricer term for sucking hot air into your engine, how is that the same thing as drilling holes in your stock air box? Neither one is going to do anything positive performance wise (which you mostly acknowledged) but one shortens the intake piping and moves the filter closer to the throttle body while the other consist of holes in the air box. Not really seeing how these are comparable.
FYI this is the professional terms to differentiate the major two types of intakes: Short Ram Intake and Cold Air Intake.
See, as I said from the very first post: Drilling holes will have SIMILAR effect as getting short ram intake. Key world SIMULAR.
If an intake will gain power, drilling holes will do SIMILAR.
If the intake don't do *** crap, drilling holes will do SIMILAR.

Try to keep up.
Old 01-23-15, 09:38 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Fsport intake on my 2nd IS . On the 2nd forum they did it. Here you go https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...i-drilled.html
Old 04-30-15, 07:39 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr

Mike
I LAUGHED so hard my ribs hurt reading this!!! "but it's true...it's damn true."

now I'm not going to say that I'm not one to mod my bucket, but I'm also not going to front when I turn stone face due to reading questions on how performance parts sound over what the parts are actually made for. It seems as if a strut tower bar helped w/ engine noise, over 50% of the members on here would be all over it...haha.
Old 04-30-15, 08:52 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I mean...if you want to be incredibly ricerish...sure?

But keep in mind, all you've now done is created a vacuum leak in your intake, thrown off your fuel trims, and confused the living crap out of your MAF sensor.
I'm not sure if this guy is serious

Quick Reply: Will drilling holes in the stock air box create better sound?