IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Adding extra weather strip on the car

Old 01-21-15, 08:00 PM
atomiclex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine and I should be receiving them tomorrow cant wait to install them. Awesome thread!
Old 01-22-15, 09:36 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can anyone vouch for the weather stripping on the rear door jam? i always find myself having to wipe down the rear door jam as it collects a lot of dust and debris there.

maybe this weather strip for the front door will eliminate the dust for the rear? i dunno? let me know your experiences, thanks!
Old 01-22-15, 09:48 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
can anyone vouch for the weather stripping on the rear door jam? i always find myself having to wipe down the rear door jam as it collects a lot of dust and debris there. maybe this weather strip for the front door will eliminate the dust for the rear? i dunno? let me know your experiences, thanks!
Another 3IS owner from MinKara Carview did this mod for the rear door jam but the part is from Toyota Century (JDM)

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...548/parts.aspx
Old 01-22-15, 10:02 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Imprezario
A great addition for our cars, should have been installed from the factory. Very useful for muddy road conditions (our roads are very dirty, especially in winter)!
Impresario, I have figured that your approach for this weather strip is different than what our other fellow member, gpxluke, did. --- your method involves putting the rubber attachment below the chrome trim and it involves lifting the trim partially in order to access the hole in the door. This is consistent with what most owners from MinKara Carview have done. Then I have a question. Did you need to trim the rubber? Is some part of the rubber sticking out like what is described in the link below (picture #5) Thanks. https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...3447/note.aspx

Last edited by AndyL; 01-22-15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 10:34 AM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Impresario, I have figured that your approach for this weather strip is different than what our other fellow member, gpxluke, did. --- your method involves putting the rubber attachment below the chrome trim and it involves lifting the trim partially in order to access the hole in the door. This is consistent with what most owners from MinKara Carview have done. Then I have a question. Did you need to trim the rubber? Is some part of the rubber sticking out like what is described in the link below (picture #5) Thanks. https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...3447/note.aspx
Yes, I did exactly like a kindhearted jap described. I did not trim the strip and a small piece of it pops above the door's metal - about 1 - 1,5 mm of height. Really nothing to worry about, it's almost invisible.
Old 01-22-15, 11:17 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another 3IS owner from MinKara Carview did this mod for the rear door jam but the part is from Toyota Century (JDM)

AndyL, is that a Japanese language there? I am very interested in getting those weather strips on my rear door. Can you please explain where we can get those strips? JDM would have a part number for that, right?
Old 01-22-15, 02:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salvadorik
AndyL, is that a Japanese language there? I am very interested in getting those weather strips on my rear door. Can you please explain where we can get those strips? JDM would have a part number for that, right?
Yes, it is in Japanese. The link is MinKara CarView, the biggest car blog in Japan.

The parts are from Toyota Century, THE Toyota flagship model sold in Japan only.

http://toyota.jp/century/

For the part numbers, here you go..

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/part..._nf=0&frm_sp=1

RH 67857-40010

LH 67858-40010

Don't worry about what the title says . There was a Toyota Prius owner that uses the same rear weather strips of Toyota Century. In fact, someone else uses this strip for a Toyota Corolla Fielder (some variant of Corolla sold in Japan).

The problem that you may have is to source the parts from Japan or ask someone from Japan ship it to you.
Old 01-22-15, 02:03 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Imprezario
Yes, I did exactly like a kindhearted jap described. I did not trim the strip and a small piece of it pops above the door's metal - about 1 - 1,5 mm of height. Really nothing to worry about, it's almost invisible.
Thanks for your info.

I think your darker colored IS further makes the piece even more invisible. It also explains why our fellow member gpxluke simply cut the top portion of the rubber (the one that goes into the hidden hole below the chrome trim) out as the little piece might be more visible on light coloured 3IS.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-22-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 02:29 PM
joshfuhr
Driver School Candidate

Really cool and cheap! how well does it work?!?!
- Josh Fuhr
Old 01-22-15, 03:27 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Yes, it is in Japanese. The link is MinKara CarView, the biggest car blog in Japan.

The parts are from Toyota Century, THE Toyota flagship model sold in Japan only.

http://toyota.jp/century/

For the part numbers, here you go..

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/part..._nf=0&frm_sp=1

RH 67857-40010

LH 67858-40010

Don't worry about what the title says . There was a Toyota Prius owner that uses the same rear weather strips of Toyota Century. In fact, someone else uses this strip for a Toyota Corolla Fielder (some variant of Corolla sold in Japan).

The problem that you may have is to source the parts from Japan or ask someone from Japan ship it to you.
Thank you very much!
Old 01-23-15, 05:18 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

thanks for answering my quesiton AndyL. you seem rather knowledgeable about this topic so here is another question for you. i hate having to wipe down the inner part of the sideskirts when i open the door and the kick plates as well. where can i find the weather strip for the bottom of the door, like the one pictured here:

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...242/parts.aspx
Old 01-23-15, 07:01 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
thanks for answering my quesiton AndyL. you seem rather knowledgeable about this topic so here is another question for you. i hate having to wipe down the inner part of the sideskirts when i open the door and the kick plates as well. where can i find the weather strip for the bottom of the door, like the one pictured here:

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...242/parts.aspx
You are welcome.

The picture you showed is from 2IS. The weather strip in this case is attached to the frame of the car just above the side skirt.

As I owned 2IS before and I wash the car by hand, my observation is that the 2IS weather strip is not attached by double tape and it is hold by various plastic clips. I can literally pull the strip towards me while the plastic clips are holding it.

So to retrofit this to 3IS is not possible unless you like to drill holes to the side skirts.

And this design is a double edged sword. While it deters dirt from coming on the side skirt, it also traps some dirt under the weather strip. If you do try to lift the weather strip slightly, you will see dirt trapped around the plastic clips that holding it.

For 3IS, the bottom strip is on the door and it is simply a strip with one side attached, it does make cleaning of the strip much easier though. The issue lies to the placement of the strip -- it prevents dirt from getting to the area ABOVE the side skirt but not on the inner portion of the side skirt.
Old 01-23-15, 08:02 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

its good that you pointed that out, about the dirt being trapped inside the strip.. i guess that might be even harder to clean as oppose to just wiping the sideskirt quickly across. thanks!
Old 01-23-15, 05:00 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Ok. I just received the weather strips and installed them right away. This is how they tuned out to be. My side (the driver's side) did not really get properly aligned on the edges though as I think I missed a little bit. The doors seem to sound a little better when you shut them. I really hope that the sticky material will hold up well. It just does not seem to be very strong.
Attached Thumbnails Adding extra weather strip on the car-img_2180.jpg   Adding extra weather strip on the car-img_2181.jpg   Adding extra weather strip on the car-img_2179.jpg  
Old 01-24-15, 07:58 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking about getting this. Not sure how visible it'll be on USB with door closed. There's black trim everywhere as it is so I'm thinking it'll just blend in..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding extra weather strip on the car