IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Adding extra weather strip on the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 12:43 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Ok. I just received the weather strips and installed them right away. This is how they tuned out to be. My side (the driver's side) did not really get properly aligned on the edges though as I think I missed a little bit. The doors seem to sound a little better when you shut them. I really hope that the sticky material will hold up well. It just does not seem to be very strong.
Maybe this is the reason why the other method of installation would create a better result in the long run as there is still some rubber to hook into the door. But the other method would involve lifting up the chrome moulding and it involves some popping sound because of the clips. Also you need to do a lot of masking to protect the paint, the chrome moulding and the virtual B-pillar black plastic. And the car needs to be super clean prior to installation to avoid any marring.

Thanks to owner, ホワイト23T (White 23T), this blog shows clearly the pictures of the other installation method.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...3447/note.aspx

Mr. White23T actually based his installation on another owner in MinKara called Ken. He mentioned the chrome moulding may be lifted by hand and if not, he suggested using a proper prying tool.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...ote.aspx#title
Old 01-27-15, 01:03 PM
ovrdriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra weather strip

Purchased the weather strips. In order to get the small rubber tab at the top under the window trip you had to raise it up far enough. I know it can be done, but I don't want to do it the wrong way and screw up the trip. How did you do it?
Old 01-27-15, 05:55 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrdriv
Purchased the weather strips. In order to get the small rubber tab at the top under the window trip you had to raise it up far enough. I know it can be done, but I don't want to do it the wrong way and screw up the trip. How did you do it?
I didnt do it that way. I just cut that extra clip and align with the door.
Old 01-27-15, 08:25 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrdriv
The general consensus is you need a right prying tool to lift up the window strip as shown in one of the MinKara blogs in the previous post. You need masking tapes to protect the surrounding areas as the prying tool would insert some force.

Actually some owner in Min Kara Carview blog claimed it may be possible to lift the strip up by hands but not guaranteed as this is due to various panel tolerance. And you only need to raise the window strip partially and by about 1cm to access the rubber insert. Also you will hear some popping sound.

I have yet to try this mod.
Old 01-28-15, 06:56 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Prices went up! It's $19 and $15 now! Not too bad for what it does though!

Originally Posted by gpxluke
Today finally received my 4GS rear door weather strips which can be installed on our car, I think the car should have come with that additional weather strips to prevent dust and water. The length of the weather strip is a perfect fit for our rear doors even though it's a GS part but fit perfectly. Anyways, here is the result of the weather strip. It's not noticeable with the doors closed, if anyone would like pics with the doors closed, I will take more pics.

In case you want to know the part# on Sewell, here is the part# and the price.

Old 03-10-15, 06:05 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

so i FINALLY got around to installing this. before doing so though, my driver side weatherstrip is about an inch or two longer than the passenger side. anybody else's like this?
Old 03-10-15, 06:55 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tea
so i FINALLY got around to installing this. before doing so though, my driver side weatherstrip is about an inch or two longer than the passenger side. anybody else's like this?
Does it help? Did you cut it?
Old 03-10-15, 06:58 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Glock47
Does it help? Did you cut it?
i only cut the top tab part. I only aligned it and stuck it with glue. The passenger side just has a shorter overhang after where the glue stick ends at the bottom. so the driver side is just closer to the side skirts than my passenger side
Old 03-10-15, 07:06 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tea
i only cut the top tab part. I only aligned it and stuck it with glue. The passenger side just has a shorter overhang after where the glue stick ends at the bottom. so the driver side is just closer to the side skirts than my passenger side
Did you go through rain or car washes yet? Makes a difference? I might buy some soon! Sucks no more sewell. My dealer might charge a lot!
Old 03-10-15, 07:13 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Did you go through rain or car washes yet? Makes a difference? I might buy some soon! Sucks no more sewell. My dealer might charge a lot!
i washed my car just before installing them. my main reason for installing them is to prevent so much dust and dirt from getting into the door jams. It's always so dirty whenever i wash my car. are you in the socal area? i got mine from Longo
Old 03-10-15, 07:31 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tea
i washed my car just before installing them. my main reason for installing them is to prevent so much dust and dirt from getting into the door jams. It's always so dirty whenever i wash my car. are you in the socal area? i got mine from Longo
Yup, in San Diego. I hate that too. I hate the dusk on my side skirt too! I doubt it will help the side skirt part. I need to call the dealer to see how much!
Old 03-10-15, 08:15 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, in San Diego. I hate that too. I hate the dusk on my side skirt too! I doubt it will help the side skirt part. I need to call the dealer to see how much!
i asked to see if they'll match Sewell prices, but they said since the site is closing down, they couldn't match it, but did give me some sort of discount. It ended up only being a few dollars more than Sewell when you factor in the ridiculous shipping charges for these 2 little strips
Old 03-11-15, 07:03 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i asked to see if they'll match Sewell prices, but they said since the site is closing down, they couldn't match it, but did give me some sort of discount. It ended up only being a few dollars more than Sewell when you factor in the ridiculous shipping charges for these 2 little strips
Just in case anyone else needs these pieces, we sell them for $12.72 each with our CL discount.
Shipping would just be $7.00
Thanks
Old 03-12-15, 03:55 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLparts
Just in case anyone else needs these pieces, we sell them for $12.72 each with our CL discount.
Thanks
Can you please help me with the part number on your website

Update: I found part number. They are 6789530040 and 6789630040.

Last edited by leo877; 03-12-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 08:22 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MyLparts
Thanks
is this a code?

Quick Reply: Adding extra weather strip on the car