Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

NuLuxe discoloring/absorption issue?

Old 01-12-15, 01:17 PM   #1
nixx621
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default NuLuxe discoloring/absorption issue?

Hi Guys - my 2015 is the white/red nuluxe combo. Recently I noticed my driver seat looking a little dingy. It appears to be my Levi jeans (black/blue) rubbing off/absorbing into the red nuluxe! My previous IS had light grey leather seats (even lighter than the red nuluxe) and this was never an issue. I'm certain it is not my jeans as they do no rub off or discolor anything else. So my question is: has anyone else noticed discoloring of their seats w/ the nuluxe material?! I'm contemplating taking the car to the dealership but i'm sure they're going to blame it on me and my jeans, unless it's something others are having issues w/ as well.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

nixx621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 02:21 PM   #2
EJ255t
Driver

I have the same problem. my jeans tend to rub on the same spot on my seat and eat away at the neluxe.
EJ255t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:49 AM   #3
jebryan
Driver School Candidate

My car is just shy of two months old (also with the rioja interior) and I've already noticed this happening. If its happening already, I can't imagine what it's going to look like after a year or two!

Is there anything we can do about this?!
jebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 08:03 AM   #4
hades281
Driver

The dye transfer has nothing to do with Nuluxe. Seat bolsters are the first to wear out because their shape, postiion in the car, your entry/exit habits and weight beat the tar out of them compared to the rest of the seat. Your jeans rub against that fabric and that increases the dye transfer.

I use Lexol leather cleaner (bring orange bottle) to remove the dye. I clean the seats every 2 months -- this cleaner is safe for leather, so definitely gentle enough for Nuluxe. I have the lightest interior option (light grey), I wear jeans all the time, and the seats look new. The trick will be to not let the dye build up -- clean often.
hades281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 08:13 AM   #5
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

When i purchased my Lexus, the Dealer gave a set of 4 bottles to detail the car. (one shampoo, one interior cleaner, one seat protector another one for seat cleaner). They are 4 black bottles and have Lexus printed on them. Is is what they recommend using on their nuluxe seats to protect them and clean them.
spiridons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 09:49 AM   #6
faisal11ir
Pole Position

Careful when you buy your pants/shorts make sure there are no metal stuff on specially jeans pockets buttons... if you wear such harsh pants/shorts.jeans just get a seat cover, I got this one from lexus of north miami and it's easy to put and remove plus it has a lexus logo here's the link

Remote Engine Starter | Pre-Collision System | Blind Spot Monitoring | Lane Departure Alert | Mark Levinson | Navigation | HID Headlights | Park Assist | Auto Folding Mirrors | Memory Seats | Dunlops Maxx TT | V-KOOL
faisal11ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 09:56 AM   #7
tC2IS350
Driver

Agree that it just sounds like you need to clean the seats to remove the dye that has transferred. I'm in some sort of dress pants or skirts/dresses 90% of the time i'm in my car and my seats are showing zero wear. So it seems to have to do with the jeans and the dye in the denim specifically.

2015 IS350 AWD F-Sport - Ultra White - Rioja Red - Nav/BSM
2015 NX 200T AWD F-Sport - Nebula Gray Pearl - Rioja Red > On Order
2006 Scion tC - Gone but not forgotten
tC2IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:45 AM   #8
nixx621
Lead Lap

Hmm...while I hear what you guys are saying I've never had this problem before and like I stated previously my last Lexus had even lighter seats and never discolored. So why now would a darker color start to show? It makes me think the nuluxe material they use is not the best quality or was not sealed properly.

hades281 - what do you use to apply the cleaner? A simple auto rag or some sort of sponge?

Old 01-13-15, 10:50 AM   #9
Swacer
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixx621 View Post
Hmm...while I hear what you guys are saying I've never had this problem before and like I stated previously my last Lexus had even lighter seats and never discolored. So why now would a darker color start to show? It makes me think the nuluxe material they use is not the best quality or was not sealed properly.

hades281 - what do you use to apply the cleaner? A simple auto rag or some sort of sponge?
Did your previous car have nuluxe..i'm sorry...vinyl seats? If not, your comparison is invalid.
Weekend Toy - 2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~~GMP Strut Tower Brace~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710 Wheels w/Nitto Invos

Daily Driver - 2015 Lexus NX200T AWD F-Sport - On Order 1/19/15, Expected Stateside 4/30/15!
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:52 AM   #10
nixx621
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Did your previous car have nuluxe..i'm sorry...vinyl seats? If not, your comparison is invalid.
My last car was a 2008 IS350 w/ the light grey LEATHER interior. So no my argument is not invalid because I'm trying to confirm if the problem is an issue w/ the Nuluxe seats or not. Which at this point, seems to be the case.

Old 01-13-15, 11:37 AM   #11
lexi90
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
My last car was a 2008 IS350 w/ the light grey LEATHER interior. So no my argument is not invalid because I'm trying to confirm if the problem is an issue w/ the Nuluxe seats or not. Which at this point, seems to be the case.
You've raised a good point. Perhaps it's the Nuluxe that is of less quality compared to leather. For the record, I also owned an '06 IS250 with black LEATHER. Glad I didn't get the Rioja Red because I'd be a slave cleaning them seats with Lexol

Nebula Gray Pearl / Black - Nav, BSM, all-weather floor mats, trunk mat, wheel locks, 20% Pinnacle Tints, Xpel Ultimate PPF, more to come...

Retired: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, 2012 Scion TC, 2001 Honda Civic EX
lexi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 11:40 AM   #12
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the nuluxe is more coarse than real leather which more slippery. So being more coarse it would rub your pants more and transfer the dye
Old 01-13-15, 11:48 AM   #13
lexi90
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen View Post
the nuluxe is more coarse than real leather which more slippery. So being more coarse it would rub your pants more and transfer the dye
+1 Agree 100%

Nebula Gray Pearl / Black - Nav, BSM, all-weather floor mats, trunk mat, wheel locks, 20% Pinnacle Tints, Xpel Ultimate PPF, more to come...

Retired: 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, 2012 Scion TC, 2001 Honda Civic EX
lexi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 12:52 PM   #14
arsenyc
Driver School Candidate

Definitely rubs your pants more, harder material and is man-made so it sucks.
arsenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 01:43 PM   #15
rayaans
Lead Lap

Quote:

Well unless you wore the exact same jeans in both cars its hard to know if its the seat or the jeans. Are the jeans new?
Old 01-13-15, 01:43 PM