IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Black Top

Old 01-12-15, 11:30 AM
LennDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Top

Anybody here black out the top of their IS? Was looking for opinions and hopefully some pictures of those that have (specifically White IS's, preferrably Ultra White). My lease is almost up on my 2012 Obsidian Black and I was looking to get an Ultra White. There is a Crafted Line at my dealer but I'm not too crazy about the black handles/mirrors. I wish they blacked out the roof instead...

Thanks!
Old 01-12-15, 12:48 PM
Celledral
Rookie

I've wrapped roof in 3M glossy. From far it looks pretty nice and in photos as well. What I didn't like was the overall glossiness or lack of it. The Vinyl is slightly cloudy and not near the mirror finish I was hoping for, but oh well. Would I do it again? Hell yeah, the two tone, especially UW, looks awesome and more aggressive.

Here are some pics after it was wrapped.
Attached Thumbnails Black Top-img_1140.jpg   Black Top-img_1144.jpg  
Old 01-12-15, 01:04 PM
LennDawg
Driver School Candidate

So sick! I love it.. Definitely sold me.. Post some more pics of the cloudiness you are talking about.
Old 01-12-15, 06:32 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im planning on wrapping my roof in the summer when its warm out. maybe in matte black!
Old 01-12-15, 06:39 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Celledral
I've wrapped roof in 3M glossy. From far it looks pretty nice and in photos as well. What I didn't like was the overall glossiness or lack of it. The Vinyl is slightly cloudy and not near the mirror finish I was hoping for, but oh well. Would I do it again? Hell yeah, the two tone, especially UW, looks awesome and more aggressive.

Here are some pics after it was wrapped.
+1 My friend got the same 3M wrap on his white Maxima and he has the same complaint - lack of glossiness. Overall, the film looks good!
Old 01-12-15, 09:00 PM
Avet
Rookie

Do not wrap it.
Did it on my Bmw X6 gloss black (top of the line wrap product which was Oracal (more expensive than 3m) and guess what....it get it agly mate with some.....omg just bad experience.... Better paint it. Same price.

Regards.
Avi
Old 01-13-15, 05:08 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vinyl needs to be waxed, sometimes it will help get rid of the cloudiness.
Getting mine done in the next few weeks. I have had long conversations with the installer
Old 01-13-15, 05:57 AM
flytldr
Driver School Candidate

Here's mine.
I have the glossy black 3M vinyl installed. It's been on for about 4 months now up here in a Canadian climate. It's holding up very well, aside form a few very light scratches/swirl marks which is from a few automatic car washes(not the touch less ones) But you can't see them unless you get up very, very close. I think a light coat of wax would address it, but I just haven't had time to try .
I think the key is the quality of the product AND the installer. I chose the best of both and it's paid off. I've had NO issues, and the car gets TONS of looks!
Well worth the $$$

edit: I also had my bumper wrapped just below the front headlights , as you can see, (with the same glossy 3M vinyl) and have also had NO issues with peeling or fading. Plus it changes the overall look of the front end, in a good way I think!

Last edited by flytldr; 01-13-15 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-13-15, 06:28 AM
Alius
Pole Position

You should definitely do it, either wrapped or painted. I went 3M Gloss Black wrap myself. It changes the whole look aggressively IMO.

Old 01-13-15, 04:53 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alius
You should definitely do it, either wrapped or painted. I went 3M Gloss Black wrap myself. It changes the whole look aggressively IMO.

Nice wrap! i also like the GS style exhaust!
Old 01-13-15, 06:13 PM
joeis3fsp
Driver School Candidate

Looks great! What kind of money are we talking ? Anybody know of a good vinyl wrap installer in the Boston area?
Old 01-13-15, 06:17 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

range seems to be 200-300
or at least I think that was the last thread that resembled this...
Old 01-13-15, 06:32 PM
oviechkin
Driver School Candidate

Default Erin Park Lexus

Originally Posted by flytldr
Here's mine.
I have the glossy black 3M vinyl installed. It's been on for about 4 months now up here in a Canadian climate. It's holding up very well, aside form a few very light scratches/swirl marks which is from a few automatic car washes(not the touch less ones) But you can't see them unless you get up very, very close. I think a light coat of wax would address it, but I just haven't had time to try .
I think the key is the quality of the product AND the installer. I chose the best of both and it's paid off. I've had NO issues, and the car gets TONS of looks!
Well worth the $$$

edit: I also had my bumper wrapped just below the front headlights , as you can see, (with the same glossy 3M vinyl) and have also had NO issues with peeling or fading. Plus it changes the overall look of the front end, in a good way I think!

TEAM ERIN PARK LEXUS?!?!

Do you work there? I live 15 minutes away and hope to buy my first car from there (IS of course).

Cheers.
Old 01-14-15, 05:39 AM
LennDawg
Driver School Candidate

I am loving these pictures.. Makes me want to go in to my dealer and trade my lease in for an ultra white, immediately! Keep them coming guys!

Quick question, if getting it painted is around the same cost, how come you guys haven't just done that? I assumed getting it painted would cost a ton more, but apparently it doesn't according to one of the posters in this thread.
Old 01-14-15, 08:15 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LennDawg
I am loving these pictures.. Makes me want to go in to my dealer and trade my lease in for an ultra white, immediately! Keep them coming guys!

Quick question, if getting it painted is around the same cost, how come you guys haven't just done that? I assumed getting it painted would cost a ton more, but apparently it doesn't according to one of the posters in this thread.
Because if you ever decide to go back to stock colors, it's much easier to remove the vinyl than to repaint again. Wrapping is also much faster than painting, and the vinyl adds a protective layer to the original oem paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Top