IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Very dissapointing on ICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 08:17 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one reads the manual.

Put the manual on the toilette tank...it will get read.
Old 01-13-15, 07:27 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spiridons
Hello All,

Since we got last week an ice storm and streets have ice underneath and snow over it, i was driving my is 250 2014 AWD, and i went to stop, due to a stop sign...i lost control of the car and started sliding left to right, and i could not man oeuvre the car, and i went through an intersection.
Thank god no cars were coming on both sides of the intersection.

Even with SNOW button, shouldn't this car handle better on slippery conditions with AWD and the Traction Control on, This happened many times to me with a little ice on the roads..

Anyone having the same issue... It was very dangerous. My previous car (VW Tiguan without 4Motion) never experienced slipping like this.

Thanks,
In Calgary we enjoy random Chinooks (winds coming from the west over the mountains that significantly warm the city up). It went from -16*C to +2*C yesterday, which meant that a lot of snow on the roads melted and that formed nice sheets of ice when it froze last night. None of that was an issue during my drive last night.

I can confidently say that the my IS350 AWD is the best car I've ever driven on snow/ice. It's silently-capable, reacts quickly when I need it to, and has yet to get bent out of shape. I roll with a good set of winters as well. There's no drama or excitement, just the hum-drum typically drama-free Lexus drive.

To be frank, what you just described sounds like driver error to me. If there's issues with the car I certainly haven't experienced them. Then again, I drive in accordance with the conditions so as to protect my $60,000 investment.
Old 01-13-15, 07:56 AM
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

I was rolling at 3km/h when I applied the breaks for the stop sign and the car started to skid tremendously. I also have Michelin Arctic Pilots Winter tires and that did not help either. And its not the first time the car has behaved this way. I am not speeding through ice..Like I said I was going only 3km/h, when I begin to brake...and the car just slid all the way across the intersection.

Don't just tell me, your 350 never slipped on ice and so forth...This car for the price it is priced at should be able to withstand some slippery conditions. I never experienced anything like this with my previous cars in similar wintery road conditions.
Old 01-13-15, 08:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a790
To be frank, what you just described sounds like driver error to me. If there's issues with the car I certainly haven't experienced them. Then again, I drive in accordance with the conditions so as to protect my $60,000 investment.
Bing Bing Bing...we have a winner!

I was rolling at 3km/h when I applied the breaks for the stop sign and the car started to skid tremendously. I also have Michelin Arctic Pilots Winter tires and that did not help either. And its not the first time the car has behaved this way. I am not speeding through ice..Like I said I was going only 3km/h, when I begin to brake...and the car just slid all the way across the intersection.

Don't just tell me, your 350 never slipped on ice and so forth...This car for the price it is priced at should be able to withstand some slippery conditions. I never experienced anything like this with my previous cars in similar wintery road conditions.
so what you're saying is...for the price you paid for your car...it should be able to defy the coefficient of friction of rubber on ice? Wow...thats incredible.

Please...take a read. Educate yourself on varying coefficents of friction and how they vary with interfacing surfaces because your comments scare me...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fr...nts-d_778.html

If you like...I can put together a quick calculation for you....

I hope to never drive around any of you that believe your "winter" SNOW tires should be able to grip on ice.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-13-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 11:05 AM
a790
Driver

Ice is ice, bro. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk also slips on ice, but I suppose since it was only $42,000 and not $59,000 that I should let that one pass?
Old 01-13-15, 11:28 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Ice is ice, bro. My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk also slips on ice, but I suppose since it was only $42,000 and not $59,000 that I should let that one pass?
Yikes...hope it wasn't $59k or someone REALLY overpaid.

And if he can defy friction, does that mean a Bugatti can defy gravity?
Old 01-13-15, 11:50 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Welcome to reality!!!
Old 01-13-15, 12:08 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

Okay, let's stop right here.

It doesn't matter what car you drive. If you expect a specific type of car to stop better in ice, then I am already concerned for you. The fact that you also pointed out you were in Snow mode, Traction Control ON and that you have AWD, I am even more inclined to believe this is driver error as you don't understand what makes a car stop in snow/ice. You have a false sense of confidence that these features will help improve your stopping distances in the winter time. They only help you in acceleration and have ZERO benefit in stopping.

There is no feature in more expensive cars that allows for extra grip on ice. Get proper snow tires, anticipate when you need to stop, and drive slowly.

Last edited by byro; 01-13-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 02:27 PM
a790
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer

Came to roughly $59k. 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport Executive. Canadian car, fully loaded with all available options. The price quoted includes Freight/PDI/etc.
Old 01-13-15, 03:01 PM
greatone99
Rookie

driving to fast for conditions ,and u need snow tires .
Old 01-13-15, 03:16 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe try putting all that cash around the tires?
Old 01-13-15, 03:32 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Came to roughly $59k. 2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport Executive. Canadian car, fully loaded with all available options. The price quoted includes Freight/PDI/etc.
Ah ok. Understood. Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-13-15, 03:54 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by lexi90
+1 for ya! And I agree with everyone else explaining a simple fact: ICE is ICE. No tires will stop you from sliding but studs or chains
BINGO! If you want to drive on ice then get yourself a Hagglunds. Just understand these babies don't come cheap and there is no F-Sport package available either.

Old 01-14-15, 09:25 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real problem is that you are a cowboys fan and moreover a cowboys fan who needs driving lessons.
Old 01-15-15, 05:00 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Just mirroring everyone else who has already pointed out that regardless of how much you paid for a car, it will still slide on ice. Unless you are driving around with chains on your tires...then you might have a bit of a chance. Otherwise, slow down (gradually), don't slam on your brakes, and give yourself plenty of space and time to stop when you need to in wintery conditions.

Quick Reply: Very dissapointing on ICE