Very dissapointing on ICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 07:34 AM
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very dissapointing on ICE

Hello All,

Since we got last week an ice storm and streets have ice underneath and snow over it, i was driving my is 250 2014 AWD, and i went to stop, due to a stop sign...i lost control of the car and started sliding left to right, and i could not man oeuvre the car, and i went through an intersection.
Thank god no cars were coming on both sides of the intersection.

Even with SNOW button, shouldn't this car handle better on slippery conditions with AWD and the Traction Control on, This happened many times to me with a little ice on the roads..

Anyone having the same issue... It was very dangerous. My previous car (VW Tiguan without 4Motion) never experienced slipping like this.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-15, 07:35 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have AWD but do those still come with the Summer Tires?
Old 01-12-15, 07:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spiridons
Hello All,

Since we got last week an ice storm and streets have ice underneath and snow over it, i was driving my is 250 2014 AWD, and i went to stop, due to a stop sign...i lost control of the car and started sliding left to right, and i could not man oeuvre the car, and i went through an intersection.
Thank god no cars were coming on both sides of the intersection.

Even with SNOW button, shouldn't this car handle better on slippery conditions with AWD and the Traction Control on, This happened many times to me with a little ice on the roads..

Anyone having the same issue... It was very dangerous. My previous car (VW Tiguan without 4Motion) never experienced slipping like this.

Thanks,
You do realize that AWD does nothing on ice, correct? There are no modes that can protect you on ice. You become a 4000lb sled. Only protection for you on ice is your ability to be careful.

To answer the other person, the car comes with all season bridgestones (at least in the US). If they are new, they should be adequate. My wife has been driving thru snow & ice storms for the last two weeks and the car has been a trooper.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-12-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 08:04 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going fast even snow tires will slide, its not like you have sharp spikes coming out of your tires when you hit the brakes. the Awd drives helps you give power to almost all wheels at the same time so you can start moving forward. I am also guessing your ABS kicked in and the pedal started shaking, you should also pump the break to assist the ABS.
Old 01-12-15, 08:25 AM
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have Michelin Winter tires.
Old 01-12-15, 08:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spiridons
Yes I have Michelin Winter tires.
Still does nothing. Winter Tires are for SNOW. Not ice.
Old 01-12-15, 08:50 AM
4WDrift
Rookie

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I am also guessing your ABS kicked in and the pedal started shaking, you should also pump the break to assist the ABS.
No no no, that delays the ABS each time. Keep on the brake and let the ABS work while steering.

OP, without studs or chains, winter tires are the best available but still can't hold traction always. Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best designed for ice, less for snow and handling. Do not drive at dry or even wet speeds on ice. The Tiguan weighs 500+ lbs. more like a rock. A/S or summer and you would have been in the ditch.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 01-12-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 08:53 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with what everyone is saying about ice... How ever my friend has a 2008 xi335 and it stops much better, harder and faster under the same conditions than the IS. I think it has to do with the way the braking system is designed to react to the ice. the 3rd gen is much better then 2nd however there is still alot of room for improvement.
Old 01-12-15, 09:09 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
No no no, that delays the ABS each time. Keep on the brake and let the ABS work while steering.

OP, without studs or chains, winter tires are the best available but still can't hold traction always. Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best designed for ice, less for snow and handling. Do not drive at dry or even wet speeds on ice. The Tiguan weighs 500+ lbs. more like a rock. A/S or summer and you would have been in the ditch.

This is an excellent reply. Please head this advice. Never ever pump the brakes unless there is an ABS failure.

Traction control will have no affect when braking on ice. Traction control works while accelerating. AWD will have no impact when braking on ice. The benefits of AWD can only be seen when the car is actually "driving/accelerating" hence the "drive" in "all wheel drive". When braking, all cars come with AWB or "all wheel brake"

Mike
Old 01-12-15, 09:29 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think snow mode affects how the car stops. All those things (snow mode, AWD, traction) mostly do their work when accelerating.
Old 01-12-15, 10:55 AM
jbkhat303
Rookie

The only thing that would help on ice is studded tires or chains. You sliding on ice is at no fault of the vehicle.
Snow on top of ice is a recipe for disaster no matter what kind of vehicle you're in.
Old 01-12-15, 01:39 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD - All Wheel Drive.....not all wheel stop.

Key word in your post was "..lost control". Simply put you were driving to fast for conditions.

Blizzaks are mediocre at best for an ice tire. Nokkian is far superior.
Old 01-12-15, 06:49 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkhat303
The only thing that would help on ice is studded tires or chains. You sliding on ice is at no fault of the vehicle.
Snow on top of ice is a recipe for disaster no matter what kind of vehicle you're in.
+1 for ya! And I agree with everyone else explaining a simple fact: ICE is ICE. No tires will stop you from sliding but studs or chains
Old 01-12-15, 07:11 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, AWD will not help you on ice, it only adds traction in wet and snow NOT ICE!!! that has nothing to do with the car having snow mode and all that. you just found a ****ty spot and the car slid!! you have all weather tires.....they are different then snow tires!!!!!!

snow tires will help a lot, but you will still slide if its icy enough
Old 01-12-15, 08:04 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

There's a surprising number of people here who have no idea about the features of their car or what it came with

Quick Reply: Very dissapointing on ICE