IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does Road and Track regret choosing Lexus IS 350 over BMW 3-Series after 8500 miles?

Old 01-19-15, 06:34 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ivato
350 f Sport is such a joy to drive...2 bad all the haters are missing out..Their Loss!!
+1 They lose
Old 01-23-15, 01:38 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BMW, or at least the 3 series, has definitely gone downhill. When e36 and especially e46 were current styles these cars were so great. Old e46 is probably my favorite owned car of all time.

That said the modern day 3 largely disappoints, and for this generation cycle the IS really seems like the superior car. As an overall company currently and historically BMW still wins.
Old 01-23-15, 02:44 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electrohou
BMW, or at least the 3 series, has definitely gone downhill. When e36 and especially e46 were current styles these cars were so great. Old e46 is probably my favorite owned car of all time.

That said the modern day 3 largely disappoints, and for this generation cycle the IS really seems like the superior car. As an overall company currently and historically BMW still wins.
I think F30/31 335i with M-Sport and dynamic handling package is still pretty awesome. I would not downplay bimmer that much. Yes, the regular with luxury package and with M Line they are kinda soft and too much body roll but with M Sport and dynamic handling package as well as that 3.0 sweetheart inline six makes it a fun car to drive. Not saying 3IS is worse but if you properly option a 3 series it becomes a genuinely fun car to drive. The problem is to get to that point 3 series will cost around 55-60K and that is really expensive.
Old 01-24-15, 11:10 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Correction, I actually bought The Top Gear magazine with the "LFA, still the best car I've ever driven" (by Jeremy Clarkson) cover for the same reason, and also, I never bought Top Gear before, I just usually browse thru them occasionally at magazine racks ...
Which issue was that?
Old 01-24-15, 11:41 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I think F30/31 335i with M-Sport and dynamic handling package is still pretty awesome. I would not downplay bimmer that much. Yes, the regular with luxury package and with M Line they are kinda soft and too much body roll but with M Sport and dynamic handling package as well as that 3.0 sweetheart inline six makes it a fun car to drive. Not saying 3IS is worse but if you properly option a 3 series it becomes a genuinely fun car to drive. The problem is to get to that point 3 series will cost around 55-60K and that is really expensive.
Indeed. When I was in the market for a new car, I priced out both a BMW 328 and a Lexus IS250 and IS350. I narrowed it down to the IS250 and the BMW 328. In the end, I realized that the BMW option within my budget and close enough to the Lexus IS250 in terms of price was the BMW 320 which is way too cheap for me - lacks options, luxury, performance, etc. So I went ahead with the Lexus IS250 in F-Sport and got a tremendous deal! Couldn't be happier
Old 01-24-15, 07:43 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BMW, or at least the 3 series, has definitely gone downhill. When e36 and especially e46 were current styles these cars were so great. Old e46 is probably my favorite owned car of all time..
Mine too. Almost perfect.
Old 01-24-15, 08:21 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=electrohou;8881281]BMW, or at least the 3 series, has definitely gone downhill. When e36 and especially e46 were current styles these cars were so great. Old e46 is probably my favorite owned car of all time.

My e46 (2002 330xi with sport package) was my favorite car since I started driving in 1966. I was so dissapointed when I test drove the f30 to replace that car. The 3IS came closest to tthe handiling and overall driving experience of the e46 within class.
Old 01-25-15, 07:57 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=CtSFox;8882880]

My e46 (2002 330xi with sport package) was my favorite car since I started driving in 1966. I was so dissapointed when I test drove the f30 to replace that car. The 3IS came closest to tthe handiling and overall driving experience of the e46 within class.
I agree with you both. I am thinking to get the 3IS 350 F sport to replace my E46 330i. Really impressed with this car.
Old 01-26-15, 11:34 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Savjam;8883948]
Originally Posted by CtSFox

I agree with you both. I am thinking to get the 3IS 350 F sport to replace my E46 330i. Really impressed with this car.
I'd also look forward to much lowere long term maintenence costs. MY 2002 330X1 was consting me a few thousand a year in the last several years of its 150,000 mile life. By comparison, not counting routine maintenence, our 199 RX 300 with 205,000 miles has only required an alternator and water pump.
Old 01-26-15, 06:02 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=CtSFox;8884752]
Originally Posted by Savjam

I'd also look forward to much lowere long term maintenence costs. MY 2002 330X1 was consting me a few thousand a year in the last several years of its 150,000 mile life. By comparison, not counting routine maintenence, our 199 RX 300 with 205,000 miles has only required an alternator and water pump.
That really puts it into perspective.
Old 01-26-15, 10:42 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

what about the cost of ownership during the first 4years/50 miles?

- Lexus only 5K and 10K covered. 15-50K is out of pocket expense. - BMW covers all the way till 50K miles
- Lexus brake job, windshield wipers is out of pocket expense. - BMW covers that as well
- Lexus consumes more gas. - BMW consumes less gas

It is only after 4Y/50K miles it becomes cheaper to own 3IS. Please lets not bash competition without pointing out our own problems. I am sure members at bimmerfest don't even talk about Lexus while we only talk and talk and talk about bimmer. It looks like the reason we talk about 3 series is maybe because it is so damn good or we are so insecure about our own car?

Last edited by salvadorik; 01-27-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 02:31 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

- Lexus only 5K and 10K covered. 15-50K is out of pocket expense. - BMW covers all the way till 50K miles
- Lexus brake job, windshield wipers is out of pocket expense. - BMW covers that as well

It is only after 4Y/50K miles it becomes cheaper to own 3IS. Please lets not bash competition without pointing out our own problems. I am sure members at bimmerfest don't even talk about Lexus while we only talk and talk and talk about bimmer. It looks like the reason we talk about 3 series is maybe because it is do damn good or we are so insecure about our own car?
You have good points: BMW consumes less gas. Also, cost of ownership is likely to be less for BMW during the warranty period. However, more is likely to go wrong, albeit covered by warrenty. Lexus is likely to be less trouble overall and especialy after the warrenty expires.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED my BMW e46. Its just that the f30, for the most part, has lost the BMW mojo last present in the e90. To me, at least, with the generic f30, BMW would no longer be worth the hassle and long term cost of ownership.

Last edited by CtSFox; 01-27-15 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-15, 05:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

It is only after 4Y/50K miles it becomes cheaper to own 3IS. Please lets not bash competition without pointing out our own problems. I am sure members at bimmerfest don't even talk about Lexus while we only talk and talk and talk about bimmer. It looks like the reason we talk about 3 series is maybe because it is do damn good or we are so insecure about our own car?
most dealers give you 2 years of oil changes already. BMW shortened their oil change interval because it was causing engine problems especially in the V8TT so now its every 10k miles instead of 15k. So really 2-3 oil changes extra over Lexus. You get some cabin filters, oil filters, brakes, windshield wiper blades (WHOA!). You save some money if you intended to pay the overpriced dealership "inspect" services. Some people change filters themselves. Yet keep in mind that a comparably equipped 335 to my car would've been 56k vs 48k MSRP. Doesnt sound like saving money there.

Honestly cars nowadays you dont have to do squat to them service wise other than the typical oil changes, engine and cabin filters.
Old 01-27-15, 08:37 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
most dealers give you 2 years of oil changes already. BMW shortened their oil change interval because it was causing engine problems especially in the V8TT so now its every 10k miles instead of 15k. So really 2-3 oil changes extra over Lexus. You get some cabin filters, oil filters, brakes, windshield wiper blades (WHOA!). You save some money if you intended to pay the overpriced dealership "inspect" services. Some people change filters themselves. Yet keep in mind that a comparably equipped 335 to my car would've been 56k vs 48k MSRP. Doesnt sound like saving money there.

Honestly cars nowadays you dont have to do squat to them service wise other than the typical oil changes, engine and cabin filters.
That was not my point to calculate which is cheaper or more expensive to run. It is obvious that 3IS is cheaper to maintain in the long run and that it tends to be trouble free, generally. Reliability and ease of maintanance is the single most important reason drivers switch to Lexus, so it is given and not disputed.

What i want to say is the fact that we keep bringing up conversation about 3 series over and over again, trying to show how 3IS is better than bimmer in every conceivable way. Members on bimmerfest don't even think that 3IS is a serious contender and they laugh citing it is a slightly upgraded Toyota. The more we talk about them the more we show how much insecure we are about our own car. That is my point! Don't forget Lexus benchmarked 3 series when designing 3IS. That pretty much summs up everything.
Old 01-27-15, 10:24 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the lexus is more refined and luxurious. will pick the IS over a 3 series anytime

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Road and Track regret choosing Lexus IS 350 over BMW 3-Series after 8500 miles?