IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!

Old 01-06-15, 05:10 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!

I have been loving the car since day one but the car has started to show it week links...

Temps dropped to -1 in Chicago last night. It is supposed to be even colder tonight. All I have to say is I am pretty disappointed how long it takes for the car to warm up and start blowing hot air. This is coming from someone that doesn't mind the cold, snow and loves snow sports.

It takes at least 30 mins for the car to START melting snow and ice on the front or the heated back.

This is a $45k car and it doesn't have windshield wiper defroster. Wipers get stuck to the windshield and you have to force them out. That usually results in damaging the wiper blades themselves. "Warm" air simply does not blow that low for it to anything. My WRX cost almost half that and it has windshield wiper defroster.

Lexus claims that the car has "Heated Seats". I am yet to feel any sort of heat coming from the seats.

As much as I enjoy the RWD in the snow, this car may have to go before next winter...

Rant/
Old 01-06-15, 05:25 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-1 holy crap thats cold. I was complaining the other day because it dropped down to 43. I was wearing my snowboarding jacket and was whining like a little girl. I cant even imagine being in that cold of weather.
Old 01-06-15, 05:28 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

#luxuryissues

#sorryfornotbeingsorryforlaughingatyou
Old 01-06-15, 05:54 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalgt
I have been loving the car since day one but the car has started to show it week links...

Temps dropped to -1 in Chicago last night. It is supposed to be even colder tonight. All I have to say is I am pretty disappointed how long it takes for the car to warm up and start blowing hot air. This is coming from someone that doesn't mind the cold, snow and loves snow sports.

It takes at least 30 mins for the car to START melting snow and ice on the front or the heated back.

This is a $45k car and it doesn't have windshield wiper defroster. Wipers get stuck to the windshield and you have to force them out. That usually results in damaging the wiper blades themselves. "Warm" air simply does not blow that low for it to anything. My WRX cost almost half that and it has windshield wiper defroster.

Lexus claims that the car has "Heated Seats". I am yet to feel any sort of heat coming from the seats.

As much as I enjoy the RWD in the snow, this car may have to go before next winter...

Rant/
Are you wearing snow gear that may be reducing the amount of heat felt from the seats? I can't imagine being in -1F...

Originally Posted by steveo55
-1 holy crap thats cold. I was complaining the other day because it dropped down to 43. I was wearing my snowboarding jacket and was whining like a little girl. I cant even imagine being in that cold of weather.
I'm from CA too and I woke up this week to 33F outside. Did not want to get out of bed..
Old 01-06-15, 05:55 PM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rant/
There must be something wrong with your car. There is no way a heater operating normally should take 30 minutes to heat your car. The temperature here in the great white North, regularly goes to -15 Celsius and my car heats up in 15 minutes max. My 60K 535ix did not have wiper heaters either, so I don't know what I am missing I guess!
Winter is not for the faint of heart, so I feel your pain, but have your car checked.
Old 01-06-15, 06:46 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Temperature was -35C (-31F) this morning with windchill and it took my car 5 minutes to start blowing hot air and the engine temperature to show ticks on the screen.

I do have wiper de-icer on my car... I see it's an option you get in the US according to the manual...
Old 01-06-15, 06:53 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's suppose to be 81 degrees tomorrow here in Phoenix, AZ.
Old 01-06-15, 07:15 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Luckily it only feels like -11. I'll schedule an appointment.

How do you prevent the wipers from freezing? The fact that the heat does not blow on the wipers is a problem. Even if I clean the windshield, 2 minutes after I stay it, the wipers freeze. The gauge shows that the car is warn, but the inside of the car takes forever to heat up.

Old 01-06-15, 07:30 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Luckily it only feels like -11. I'll schedule an appointment.

How do you prevent the wipers from freezing? The fact that the heat does not blow on the wipers is a problem. Even if I clean the windshield, 2 minutes after I stay it, the wipers freeze. The gauge shows that the car is warn, but the inside of the car takes forever to heat up.

go to your nearest home depot store and buy some rain x lol. clear the snow off the window then pour the rain x over the window and turn on the wipers. That'll get rid of it.
Old 01-06-15, 08:35 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you can move to San Diego and can complain when it goes below 65 degrees
Old 01-06-15, 08:46 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Ive had sub zero temps almost every morning for the past couple weeks and my car only takes about 10 minutes to warm up. 5 min of idle and 5 min of driving.
You should pick up your wipers off the windshield overnight so they don't freeze on the window.
Also, I've heard that aquapel glass treatment does a good job in preventing the glass from frosting.
I just bought some from amazon, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-06-15, 08:50 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkhat303
Ive had sub zero temps almost every morning for the past couple weeks and my car only takes about 10 minutes to warm up. 5 min of idle and 5 min of driving.
You should pick up your wipers off the windshield overnight so they don't freeze on the window.
Also, I've heard that aquapel glass treatment does a good job in preventing the glass from frosting.
I just bought some from amazon, but haven't tried it yet.
5 minutes of idle warm up is waay too long. You're wasting gas lol. I'll warm up for about 30 seconds, then do the rest by driving slow.
Old 01-06-15, 08:55 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

When your in sub zero, it takes longer to get the oil pumped around and up to operating temperature. I play it safe. And Would rather burn a small amount of gas to preserve my engine.
Old 01-06-15, 09:02 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

30 seconds to 1 minute idle warmup is enough for the engine to get up and going. I stretch that a bit when it's extremely cold. I stretch it even more when I don't wanna freeze my butt and I start the car, manually lock it with the key and run back inside for 5 minutes (normally under -20C/-4F) . The IS warms up quicker than my previous cars.

OP, good idea to get your car checked.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 01-06-15 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 09:23 PM
2015isboy
Driver

I have 2015 non f sport model. It takes forever to heat up. I'm also in the Chicago land area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!