IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 11:29 AM
a790
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from your frozen northern neighbours.

-21C yesterday. Car warmed up in less than 10 minutes. Windshield wiper defrosters also work wonders.

Solution: buy a Canadian edition.
Old 01-07-15, 12:15 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yay for feeling like -20F.

I will check with the dealer for solutions on the seats and have them check why the car warns up so slow. The VP of the company I work for has a new GX and was complaining about warm up time as well as the seats...

If I only had a garage...I'd go pick up a new Z06 in a heartbeat. And buy a winter beater (or maybe buy a house).

Old 01-07-15, 03:10 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few days ago it -35C
Unplugged
Fired right up
10 min to warm up and it was blowing warm air - another 10 min and I could have toasted a pop-tart in front og the vent
Wiper defrost strip - awesome
Old 01-07-15, 09:42 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalgt
20 mins into my comute + 10 warm up
I think I see the problem. You are driving in ECO mode. I'm not sure what the technical reasons are, but the engine heats up slower in this mode. When I first got the IS in the first week, I wanted to try out just how efficient ECO mode could be, but I gave up because it was getting cold (weather wise) and I noticed it was taking an abnormal amount of time to heat up the vehicle. Try driving in Normal mode and report back. I'm interested to see if my results are repeatable.
Old 01-07-15, 09:50 PM
ralphiep
Driver School Candidate

no remote start?
i have the app installed which is triggered to start the car via nfc tag i placed by my bed
Old 01-08-15, 09:38 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Driving in Normal or Spot = Problem Fixed

If you hold both seat heater buttons down until you hear a beep, that keeps the seats at the set level. Keeps the seats warmer I think...

No snow to see if the heat can actually melt it of the windshield.

No solution for the wiper defrosting. I guess I have to buy defrosting liquid to mix with the windshield fluid.

Originally Posted by computerwi
I think I see the problem. You are driving in ECO mode. I'm not sure what the technical reasons are, but the engine heats up slower in this mode. When I first got the IS in the first week, I wanted to try out just how efficient ECO mode could be, but I gave up because it was getting cold (weather wise) and I noticed it was taking an abnormal amount of time to heat up the vehicle. Try driving in Normal mode and report back. I'm interested to see if my results are repeatable.
Old 01-08-15, 10:08 AM
dlwlsgks85
Rookie

also my lexus enform remote didn't work.. because it was -10 outside this morning.....
Old 01-08-15, 10:47 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So I timed my oil temp gauge this morning at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I let it warm up idle for 1 minute, then started driving slowly. The oil temp bar started going up at the 3 minute mark. My heated seat and steering wheel were already on. So was the heater.
Old 01-08-15, 10:55 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by a790

-21C yesterday. Car warmed up in less than 10 minutes. Windshield wiper defrosters also work wonders.

Canadian models have the engine blocker heaters. I think all anyone needs is one of those and they'll be fine.
Old 01-08-15, 11:42 AM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by a790

Ditto, I find the rear window defrost takes forever though.
Old 01-08-15, 11:45 AM
EricW0525
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by criticalgt
I have been loving the car since day one but the car has started to show it week links...

Temps dropped to -1 in Chicago last night. It is supposed to be even colder tonight. All I have to say is I am pretty disappointed how long it takes for the car to warm up and start blowing hot air. This is coming from someone that doesn't mind the cold, snow and loves snow sports.

It takes at least 30 mins for the car to START melting snow and ice on the front or the heated back.

This is a $45k car and it doesn't have windshield wiper defroster. Wipers get stuck to the windshield and you have to force them out. That usually results in damaging the wiper blades themselves. "Warm" air simply does not blow that low for it to anything. My WRX cost almost half that and it has windshield wiper defroster.

Lexus claims that the car has "Heated Seats". I am yet to feel any sort of heat coming from the seats.

As much as I enjoy the RWD in the snow, this car may have to go before next winter...

Rant/
Japanese cars always take longer to warm up, but 30mins were too long. I have a suggestion for you is that once you can get a clear sight, start driving ur car under 3000rpm. Drive it slow and it will warm up alot faster. Good luck
Old 01-08-15, 11:59 AM
Technor
Driver School Candidate

In a recent test by Norges Automobil-Forbund they found that Lexus cars heated up faster than their counterparts. Sorry to hear you are not happy with yours. With temperatures usually hitting -25'C (-13'F) several times per winter, I feel that mine is good. Though the 300h versions sold here have windshield wiper defroster, heated seats and heated steering wheel. I believe the hybrid system has some sort of system to use the exhaust heat too, like the 3rd gen prius.
Old 01-08-15, 12:32 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So interesting! No wonder why my IS took like 15 mins to warm up - still was cold when I took off. I had it on ECO cause my beloved mother borrowed it yesterday and she's got a heavy foot

Specific to the heated seats, they're pretty warm! Even better than my 2IS. They do take sometime to warm up, especially on a day like today (-1 degrees )
Old 01-08-15, 03:03 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

As I mentioned earlier and it was pointed out by another member, driving in Eco significantly increases the warm up time.

It is snowing today so I got to test the wipers as well. The windshield gets warm enough to start melting the snow off the windshield and keep the wipers from freezing. They freeze but significantly less than before.

Welcome to Chicago
Old 01-08-15, 04:34 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,541 Likes on 1,731 Posts

^^ That is a familiar work image for me *lol*

Quick Reply: IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!