IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 in the cold! Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 05:14 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalgt
Lexus claims that the car has "Heated Seats". I am yet to feel any sort of heat coming from the seats.

As much as I enjoy the RWD in the snow, this car may have to go before next winter...

Rant/
If you have RWD (like me), you can't have the optional cold-weather package, which they claim has a high-output heater. I was a bit worried about that, but took the chance and it's been OK for me. My garage never gets much colder than 20F at night, even when it's well-below 0F outside, and that helps. I also dress for the severe cold, e.g. "long john" underwear.

With your seat-heater issue, I take it you have an F-sport? If so, that hurts. My seat-heaters are OK.
Old 01-08-15, 07:50 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalgt
Driving in Normal or Spot = Problem Fixed
Originally Posted by lexi90
So interesting! No wonder why my IS took like 15 mins to warm up - still was cold when I took off. I had it on ECO cause my beloved mother borrowed it yesterday and she's got a heavy foot
With 2 other members confirming this, I'm wondering how ECO mode is supposed to save fuel? Wouldn't the engine be most efficient when the temperatures are optimum.
Old 01-08-15, 09:16 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
With 2 other members confirming this, I'm wondering how ECO mode is supposed to save fuel? Wouldn't the engine be most efficient when the temperatures are optimum.
It decreases the amount of heat blowing from the fan and it decreases throttle response which is suppose to save fuel economy. However, I have heard other members say eco mode doesn't make much of a difference (maybe 1 mpg difference)
Old 01-08-15, 10:16 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
It decreases the amount of heat blowing from the fan and it decreases throttle response which is suppose to save fuel economy. However, I have heard other members say eco mode doesn't make much of a difference (maybe 1 mpg difference)
From my experience and that of the OP, it's not just the climate controls that produce less heat but rather the coolant temperature suggesting that the engine is not running as hot as it should. In cold weather, this would be less efficient for the mechanical components, no?
Old 01-09-15, 07:06 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Problem solved. Had it on Normal mode last night when it was 8 degrees out there and it took less time to warm up! Don't put on Eco when it's cold or you're going to warm it up the next day!
Old 01-09-15, 08:49 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
From my experience and that of the OP, it's not just the climate controls that produce less heat but rather the coolant temperature suggesting that the engine is not running as hot as it should. In cold weather, this would be less efficient for the mechanical components, no?
I think I understand what you are saying. But either way, if you are driving in eco mode, we are going to assume you're driving like a slug anyways (so you're not pushing the car hard as the oil is warming up.) Maybe Lexus engineers have a good reason for making it this way.
Old 01-09-15, 08:57 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

I think I understand what you are saying. But either way, if you are driving in eco mode, we are going to assume you're driving like a slug anyways (so you're not pushing the car hard as the oil is warming up.) Maybe Lexus engineers have a good reason for making it this way.
Maybe! Because they know if you have it in ECO you'll be forced to drive like grandma
Old 01-09-15, 10:08 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see zero of these issues. It warms up to temperature before I even get out of my neighborhood (it has been about 15 below zero here with the windchill), blows warm air from the heater at that same time. I definitely feel the warmth from my seat heaters (I appreciate the fact that they don't get so hot that they burn my butt), and my steering wheel heater heats up super fast and stays quite warm. I also do 99% of my driving in normal mode this time of year.
Old 01-10-15, 09:36 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tC2IS350
I see zero of these issues. It warms up to temperature before I even get out of my neighborhood (it has been about 15 below zero here with the windchill), blows warm air from the heater at that same time. I definitely feel the warmth from my seat heaters (I appreciate the fact that they don't get so hot that they burn my butt), and my steering wheel heater heats up super fast and stays quite warm. I also do 99% of my driving in normal mode this time of year.
Upstate NY here. Was 10 degrees this AM, Lots of snow. Very cold. I also have none of these issues. My seat warmers are too warm at top setting after 10 mins, have to turn them down. We've gotten foot after foot of snow this year. The car has had no issue melting it or warming up suitably either. Wish I had the steering wheel heater though
Old 01-11-15, 06:58 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Upstate NY here. Was 10 degrees this AM, Lots of snow. Very cold. I also have none of these issues. My seat warmers are too warm at top setting after 10 mins, have to turn them down. We've gotten foot after foot of snow this year. The car has had no issue melting it or warming up suitably either. Wish I had the steering wheel heater though
Me too! No issues after switching to normal mode. That heated steering wheel is so addictive
Old 01-12-15, 04:40 AM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a de-icing spray for the windshield and wipers. snow will melt in few seconds. See the link below.. Works like a chime . you can find it in walmart, autozone etc

Old 01-12-15, 09:28 AM
KS13
Driver

The seat warmers aren't as warm as all the other cars I've driven and owned. And I agree I'm in RI and it was 9 degrees a couple of days ago, and everything was stiff, including the steering wheel, the shifter, etc. I used to have a 2008 Acura TL and never had this issue before. I wait about 1-2 for the car to warm up.
Old 01-12-15, 01:46 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonr
Buy a de-icing spray for the windshield and wipers. snow will melt in few seconds. See the link below.. Works like a chime . you can find it in walmart, autozone etc

This stuff is for lazy people and its garbage. You will be replacing your wiper blades more often because of the effect this stuff has on them.

Go buy a good scraper/brush combo you're better off in the long run.
Old 01-12-15, 06:18 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dagobert
This stuff is for lazy people and its garbage. You will be replacing your wiper blades more often because of the effect this stuff has on them.

Go buy a good scraper/brush combo you're better off in the long run.
Heard the same thing too from peers. A good scrapper/brush and warming up your car will do it!
Old 01-13-15, 12:50 PM
arsenyc
Driver School Candidate

Car takes a while, no idea why but lately in the NYC cold it has been bad.