IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rock Chip! Ultra White

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 08:55 AM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
+1 on this! I was given a free little bottle when I bought my Scion Tc. I will ask my salesperson and will report back!
I just simply asked the service department, they gave me the top coat and bottom coat, and ask what do i owe they said nothing.
Old 01-17-15, 05:56 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MGB1120
I just simply asked the service department, they gave me the top coat and bottom coat, and ask what do i owe they said nothing.
Got you. I will do the same on Monday
Old 01-18-15, 06:20 AM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a free touch up bottle from my SA when I picked up my car and would check for chips every so often and trust me I've used the touch up often UGH

Chips are gonna happen despite how careful one is soooo touch them up whenever you can and life goes on
Old 01-19-15, 04:59 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I did some of the touch up... I kind of ****ed up a bit but I don't think its noticeable unless someone really looks for it.

Old 01-19-15, 06:42 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alvinklee
I did some of the touch up... I kind of ****ed up a bit but I don't think its noticeable unless someone really looks for it.

I see it! However, I rather see it covered (the rock chip) than being exposed!
Old 01-19-15, 06:55 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Nobody is ever gonna notice that but you, certainly not from a distance. It beats a big 'ol chip.
Old 01-20-15, 09:35 AM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
I see it! However, I rather see it covered (the rock chip) than being exposed!
that's almost as good as touch ups get other than using dr colorchip. great job!
Old 01-28-15, 12:55 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Jlin89
that's almost as good as touch ups get other than using dr colorchip. great job!

Got another one today! It's like a magnet for rock chips! This one is right next to the headlamp! Ugh!
Old 02-10-15, 10:07 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chips suck!
Old 02-11-15, 06:34 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clear bra???
Old 02-11-15, 05:39 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMarkus
Clear bra???
clearbra is an iffy answer.

Here what i think (or at least what my dad told me)

clear bras are great for small scratches and stones.

in an event of an accident, your clear bra is almost useless. plus, you'll need to pay for another clear bra.

also, clear bra costs are really high, almost the same as painting the whole car. in my country, clear bra costs are around USD$1500 for the whole car. i can repaint my car with Nippon 2K paint for around USD$1300.

That said, original paint will always be better.
Old 02-12-15, 11:26 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jennypenny
clearbra is an iffy answer.

Here what i think (or at least what my dad told me)

clear bras are great for small scratches and stones.

in an event of an accident, your clear bra is almost useless. plus, you'll need to pay for another clear bra.

also, clear bra costs are really high, almost the same as painting the whole car. in my country, clear bra costs are around USD$1500 for the whole car. i can repaint my car with Nippon 2K paint for around USD$1300.

That said, original paint will always be better.
Question about clear bra, lets say it covers half of your car, given the impact it endures on a daily commute of rock chips will flocking to your vehicle.

When the time comes to replace the clear bra, if ever, will there be a discoloration in the portion with and without the clear bra? My assumption is yes, since the surface that isn't covered becomes more oxidized than underneath the bra.

Not to mention, the rock chips that land on the outskirts of the clear bra, once you remove the clear bra, you'll have a physical line of rock chip, is this common?

I'm considering in getting it just for the hood, with all the bird droppings I've encountered.
Old 02-12-15, 12:57 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by waxy
Question about clear bra, lets say it covers half of your car, given the impact it endures on a daily commute of rock chips will flocking to your vehicle.

When the time comes to replace the clear bra, if ever, will there be a discoloration in the portion with and without the clear bra? My assumption is yes, since the surface that isn't covered becomes more oxidized than underneath the bra.

Not to mention, the rock chips that land on the outskirts of the clear bra, once you remove the clear bra, you'll have a physical line of rock chip, is this common?

I'm considering in getting it just for the hood, with all the bird droppings I've encountered.
When I bought my last car, it had a clear bra (port / dealer??) installed on the hood, quarter panels & mirrors. After about 4 years it had yellowed so we removed it and installed a new bra ourselves. There was absolutely NO difference in the paint color between where the clear bra was and was not. I wax the clear bra just like the rest of the car.

However, the difference between the bumper (no clear bra) and where the bra was on the hood was pretty telling on how much protection they do provide.

This was the very reason that when I bought this car on a Friday I garaged it until the following Monday when I could have Xpel installed. IMHO, it is more than worth the money if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.
Old 02-12-15, 02:20 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doodlebug
When I bought my last car, it had a clear bra (port / dealer??) installed on the hood, quarter panels & mirrors. After about 4 years it had yellowed so we removed it and installed a new bra ourselves. There was absolutely NO difference in the paint color between where the clear bra was and was not. I wax the clear bra just like the rest of the car.

However, the difference between the bumper (no clear bra) and where the bra was on the hood was pretty telling on how much protection they do provide.

This was the very reason that when I bought this car on a Friday I garaged it until the following Monday when I could have Xpel installed. IMHO, it is more than worth the money if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.
Thanks for sharing! Is the yellowing covered under the 7 year warranty for Clear Bra?
Old 02-12-15, 02:23 PM
dashmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jlin89
Anyone using dr. colorchip? I have toyed with the idea of ordering it, but have not. I have heard that it does a good job colouring the chip but not filling it in.

Quick Reply: Rock Chip! Ultra White