IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Unfortunate event led me here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 08:56 AM
Brndn704
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfortunate event led me here.

First off, I'm new to this forum and to this type of car in general. I own a Scion FR-S right now, and got rear ended on New Year's Eve. Here she is before the accident:

I've put a chunk of money into it and then in a second it was over.

No, it doesn't look too bad from the pictures, however there is frame rail damage and it buckled my fender pretty bad on the driver side. Basically they are going to fix it and I'm going to get a diminished value check, sell the car, and pick up a new IS 250, or they are going to total it out and I'll still end up getting a IS. I've got my eyes set on a '15 Obsidian which I'll be picking up in the next few weeks. I've been apart of many other forums, but hopefully this is a more sophisticated bunch.
Old 01-05-15, 09:04 AM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First hope you are ok. That same event led me here as well. My wifes car got rear ended as well. Her vehicle got totaled and i used the money i got for her car and used it as a down payment on a 14 is350. So after about 3 months i traded my truck in and got her a new car and kept her IS. You will love it. More room in the IS. Plus you can still customize it like your FRD. If you were in the vehicle at the time i suggest you hire an attorney. Maybe he can get you some money out of it.
Old 01-05-15, 11:51 AM
EdoApero
Rookie

Really unfortunate situation hope you are okay. However, it is a good reason to upgrade into a Lexus

Try to get into the is350 first though, great deals on them.
Old 01-05-15, 12:21 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough break on the FR-S, great looking car. If performance is at all important to you, go for the IS350.
Old 01-05-15, 12:32 PM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your FRS. A couple years ago, I almost got a BRZ. It's a fun to drive car. 2014/2015 IS will be significant upgrade, especially the interior and tech features. If you are going to continue the hobby of modifying the car, I think the base model IS without F sport will be a great choice. Do consider the 350 as other suggested for the power or wait for the turbo version next model yr (?).
Old 01-05-15, 12:47 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Your car was good looking. Hopefully you're ok. Regarding the IS, if you are used to a 200 HP car, them get the IS250. If you want to have something fast (300 HP), then the IS350 is for you. It's all about choices. Good luck!
Old 01-05-15, 01:08 PM
charmander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man,

I saw your car on ft86club before; she was quite nice. Sorry to hear about the accident and hope you're okay. I actually did the same thing...BRZ got totaled, so I got a 2015 IS250 F sport AWD with everything except Mark Levinson stereo. Trust me, you'll love it. This is my first automatic car, and honestly, I am so happy I'm not shifting on a daily basis anymore. The car is so luxurious, its a huge upgrade in day-to-day activities, coming from the BRZ/FRS. I will definitely be getting a weekend car this spring, but I must admit I do not miss driving a sports car daily. At all.

Mark
Old 01-05-15, 01:41 PM
tC2IS350
Driver

Hope you weren't injured, and what a bummer on the FR-S. I was in a tC prior to my IS350, and someone hit me when I was going straight through an intersection and he turned left into my driver's side front bumper/fender. It also didn't look too terrible, and my insurance company was pretty sure it wasn't going to be totalled. But once my body shop guy got a chance to look at it, he said he never would have been comfortable putting me back into it because of the extent of the damage.

I agree, go for a 350! You will enjoy it, but I still miss my scion. haha
Old 01-05-15, 02:17 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear. Same thing happened to my 2009 is 250. It was declared totaled, very sad to see it go after putting so much money and time into it but I ended with my 2014 350 f sport and I am happy with the outcome. Good luck on the search for your new car!
Old 01-05-15, 04:32 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brndn704
First off, I'm new to this forum and to this type of car in general. I own a Scion FR-S right now, and got rear ended on New Year's Eve. Here she is before the accident:

I've put a chunk of money into it and then in a second it was over.

No, it doesn't look too bad from the pictures, however there is frame rail damage and it buckled my fender pretty bad on the driver side. Basically they are going to fix it and I'm going to get a diminished value check, sell the car, and pick up a new IS 250, or they are going to total it out and I'll still end up getting a IS. I've got my eyes set on a '15 Obsidian which I'll be picking up in the next few weeks. I've been apart of many other forums, but hopefully this is a more sophisticated bunch.
I traded in my FR-S for the IS350-huge increase in power and much better interior. Only thing you're going to regret is the handling. The IS line handles nothing like the FR-S. No body roll in the FR-S and I could take corners at high speeds, The IS forget about it. But overall I like my IS better.
Old 01-05-15, 04:34 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a pic of the one I traded in!
Old 01-05-15, 08:00 PM
Brndn704
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the thoughtful comments. Power isn't anything I even consider at this point, but I will look into the 350 for sure. I'll probably go for a test drive later on this week. As far as modding goes I'm pretty much done. I'll end up putting a nice set of wheels on and some coils and be satisfied. I don't want to really stance out a luxury car and go through that hassle again. Plus that way if something does happen again (knock on wood) I won't be losing as much.
Old 01-05-15, 08:19 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I graduated from a 350hp Mr2 (and hence the mr2 forums in the 10 years prior to this) and although I too am new here, the crowd is definitely better. Less attitude, less arrogance, less stupidity. God….Im getting old
Old 01-05-15, 08:25 PM
Brndn704
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yellow2112
I graduated from a 350hp Mr2 (and hence the mr2 forums in the 10 years prior to this) and although I too am new here, the crowd is definitely better. Less attitude, less arrogance, less stupidity. God….Im getting old
I was apart of the FT86club for about 2 years, and to be honest that site went to crap. Too many immature people that added no real value to the site. I got tired of every thread being full of meme pictures and people bagging on one another for being different. Reading around this site I can tell that this is a better community. I guess being as the younger crowd can't really afford a new Lexus.
Old 01-05-15, 08:49 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brndn704
I was apart of the FT86club for about 2 years, and to be honest that site went to crap. Too many immature people that added no real value to the site. I got tired of every thread being full of meme pictures and people bagging on one another for being different. Reading around this site I can tell that this is a better community. I guess being as the younger crowd can't really afford a new Lexus.
You know what helps….the fact that these cars have extremely limited aftermarket add ons. For example - in the mr2 forum every single day….the inevitable thread - 'how do I turbo my NA car". Its been done to death.

None of that nonsense here. These 6 cylinder engines just aint made for turboing and because its a classier vehicle, the mods all tend to be pretty tasteful.

Quick Reply: Unfortunate event led me here.